Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Light Bulb Sizes  (Read 1794 times)

• Liked: 676
Light Bulb Sizes
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:52:17 PM »
Since this is starting to be my own personal posting board...

Lightbulbs. Bayonet light bulbs. Ok, so I get how they plug in. I just had one blow out (overhead). Took the circuitbreaker. Fixed the circuit breaker. Now need to replace the bulb. My options are to toodle to the nearest shop, which is going to be the grocery store at this time of day where I'll be grossly overcharged for said lightbulb, or order online. Since I don't really want to have to take a bus to B&Q for a lightbulb if I can avoid it, online is appealing.

There are no visible markings on this bulb, other than it's a 240v bulb. Trying to figure out what the "standard" bulb size here is. (Have checked all the other overhead lights here and they all seem to be the same bulb, and none of them have any size writtin on them.) By any chance would that standard be a "B-22" bulb?  If so, I can try to order a  LED replacement bulb in that size.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Light Bulb Sizes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
Since this is starting to be my own personal posting board...

Lightbulbs. Bayonet light bulbs. Ok, so I get how they plug in. I just had one blow out (overhead). Took the circuitbreaker. Fixed the circuit breaker. Now need to replace the bulb. My options are to toodle to the nearest shop, which is going to be the grocery store at this time of day where I'll be grossly overcharged for said lightbulb, or order online. Since I don't really want to have to take a bus to B&Q for a lightbulb if I can avoid it, online is appealing.

There are no visible markings on this bulb, other than it's a 240v bulb. Trying to figure out what the "standard" bulb size here is. (Have checked all the other overhead lights here and they all seem to be the same bulb, and none of them have any size writtin on them.) By any chance would that standard be a "B-22" bulb?  If so, I can try to order a  LED replacement bulb in that size.

If it's an overhead lamp it'll be a B22 bayonet cap. B22 is the size (diameter) in mm. Some table lamps have SBC, small bayonet caps B15, (15mm)

I've been using LED filament bulbs and really liking them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:34:00 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
Trying to figure out what the "standard" bulb size here is.

This is the funniest thing you’ve ever written.  I have yet to see two lightbulbs that are the same here.  I have a VAST collection of incorrect bulbs!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »
If it's an overhead lamp it'll be a bayonet cap. B22 is the size (diameter) in mm. Some table lamps have SBC, small bayonet caps B15, (15mm)

I've been using LED filament bulbs and really liking them.

LED filament? I thought LEDs used diodes? I must be really behind the times.
So, for an overhead light to illuminate an entire room we'd probably want a 75 watt equivalent...?

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
This is the funniest thing you’ve ever written.  I have yet to see two lightbulbs that are the same here.  I have a VAST collection of incorrect bulbs!

It's taken a while but I'm actually starting to get the hang of them now!  ;D

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
That's just what they call them! :)  I've had these ones before and love them. They are out of stock at the moment but you'll easily find some like them.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
I have yet to see two lightbulbs that are the same here.  I have a VAST collection of incorrect bulbs!

We've got  a cornucopia of bulbs taking up about half of a shelf in our larder. I'm always so excited when the bulb that has blown actually matches one of the replacement bulbs on the shelf.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »

Isn't LED filament bulbs those that have a string of LEDs in the shape of an old timey filament inside the bulb?  Those look really cool, like an old fashioned bulb with a huge filament. 

Larrabee, I am impressed by your lightbulb knowledge.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »
Isn't LED filament bulbs those that have a string of LEDs in the shape of an old timey filament inside the bulb?  Those look really cool, like an old fashioned bulb with a huge filament. 

Larrabee, I am impressed by your lightbulb knowledge.

Apparently those are called Squirrel Cage bulbs, no idea why! They're pretty.  :)

https://www.lampwise.co.uk/bell-01480-60w-250v-bc-b22-antique-vintage-style-squirrel-cage-filament-lamp.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsIXr15iJ3gIVDZ3tCh3ixwD6EAQYASABEgIjqfD_BwE

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »
I still can't figure out how to take the glass globe off the lights in the shared corridor of our flat.. the last time a bulb went out we had no light for a year.

The landlord finally sent someone out and apparently he didn't know either and he broke it out and taped it back on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 09:09:56 PM »
We've got  a cornucopia of bulbs taking up about half of a shelf in our larder. I'm always so excited when the bulb that has blown actually matches one of the replacement bulbs on the shelf.

It’s not just me!!!!!!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »
It's taken a while but I'm actually starting to get the hang of them now!  ;D
I just make my husband do the lightbulb shopping. All the bulbs in the chandeliers don't match, but they all work. Hahaha. We're swapping them to LEDs as the die.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 20
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 08:24:22 AM »
I’ve learned to take the lightbulb to Tesco and match the end of it to the end of the new one in the store. I too have an entire drawer full of useless lightbulbs.

You will have great conversations at the store with a slew of Scots standing, staring at the display like they are watching TV. They are equally as confused as I am so it makes me feel better. It’s the one time you’ll hear them complain, about something other than the weather!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »

I could open a shop!  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 09:12:59 AM »
I’ve learned to take the lightbulb to Tesco and match the end of it to the end of the new one in the store. I too have an entire drawer full of useless lightbulbs.

You will have great conversations at the store with a slew of Scots standing, staring at the display like they are watching TV. They are equally as confused as I am so it makes me feel better. It’s the one time you’ll hear them complain, about something other than the weather!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do the same, and if I can't find it I send my husband. Bulbs here are so confusing! It'd be nice if the size/type were printed on them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab