Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rambling and venting  (Read 1243 times)

• Liked: 16
Rambling and venting
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »

Hi  My folks

Life is good and I am adapting to my new chapter slowly but surely but there are times that I feel that I maybe a bit too old to adapt to this culture completely.

One thing I find it hard to completely adapt to is British sarcasm and never complaining culture.

I am an avid equestrian and one reason why I enjoy being in UK is an easy assess to all the good stables, however, I find things are conducted very differently here.
People don't complain even if they don't get what they are paying for. I am used to saying things directly but I feel that things don't quite work like that.

They are never outright rude but far from that upbeat American friendly customer service.

Any inputs? Maybe it takes time to really embrace these things..

• Liked: 1260
Re: Rambling and venting
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »
I don't think that the adjustment has to do with age, more individual personalities - if that makes sense? Like some people just adapt better to British humour than others, as an example.

As a personal example, I know I totally prefer the customer service (barring food industry) in England to that in the US. I liked moving here and being left alone in shops as opposed to having somebody so over the top friendly but I know that loads of people (even Brits) prefer that and feel customer service here leaves a lot to be desired. I also know I wasn't the type of person to complain about service standards unless it was REALLY bad but I knew plenty of people in the US who were more than comfortable voicing their concerns and unhappiness with a service they're paying for. For me, my personality made it easier to adapt to the way the culture here is in that area but there are others who were younger as well that found that very frustrating because it didn't match their personality.

British people loooovvvveeee to moan, so they will definitely complain..just not directly to the people they need to be complaining to (as you mentioned).

Sorry to ramble, I'm trying to distract myself from catching up on work but my brain is just a massive jumble at the moment. Hope that all made sense lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

British people loooovvvveeee to moan, so they will definitely complain..just not directly to the people they need to be complaining to (as you mentioned).

I thought there was a typo in the original post and jcotter meant to say ever complaining, not never complaining!  ;D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »
It may be time to practice the great British art of the strongly worded letter :)

Most of my friends won't go complain in person but will write letters. It just depends on the level of issue!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »
I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd because EVERYONE complains constantly.

But yeah, I speak sarcasm as a second language, which has worked well.  Though I sit in an open plan office and the dude I sit next to...  I have to ask him to clarify if he's actually being genuine when he says something.   ;D

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »
I thought there was a typo in the original post and jcotter meant to say ever complaining, not never complaining!  ;D

hahaha just had a good chuckle to myself about that one. If you don't enjoy a good (non-sexual) moan, are you truly even British?

I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd because EVERYONE complains constantly.

But yeah, I speak sarcasm as a second language, which has worked well.  Though I sit in an open plan office and the dude I sit next to...  I have to ask him to clarify if he's actually being genuine when he says something.   ;D

hah oh yeah, I'm fluent in Sarcasm, but I have found that Brits can be a whole other level of sarcastic that I didn't know possible. Like sometimes you won't even know if they are being serious or sarcastic.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »
hahaha just had a good chuckle to myself about that one. If you don't enjoy a good (non-sexual) moan, are you truly even British?

hah oh yeah, I'm fluent in Sarcasm, but I have found that Brits can be a whole other level of sarcastic that I didn't know possible. Like sometimes you won't even know if they are being serious or sarcastic.

Maybe it's like being blind and your hearing gets really good, if you can't actually complain to the person who needs to hear it then your sarcasm skills increase.

• Liked: 216
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »
I am definitely an "I need to speak to your manager" type. LOL! My SIL is getting the run around right now from a carpet company and she won't call the manager to complain!! I'm like, give me the damn phone number already!! Getting used to the differences in customer service will definitely be a tough one for me. If I'm paying my good, hard-earned money for something, I don't deal with BS very well.

Now, the sarcasm stuff will probably end me. I'm the least sarcastic person around. I just don't use it on other people for a laugh at their expense. I'm very empathic and hate to make anyone feel bad even if it's supposedly in good fun. So, I'm fully expecting to be at the other end of a lot of sarcasm as I'll be an easy target. And I'm super duper sensitive. Ugh. I'm currently working on skin-thickening techniques like it's an olympic sport!!  [smiley=laugh3.gif]
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 04:01:20 PM »
I love the puns over here, but only sometimes catch whether something is sarcastic or honest. My husband is used to that but I do struggle in social situations (and always have... Most of my American friends were of a similar personality!)

I feel like I am getting used to the strongly worded letter but I haven't had many terrible customer service situations yet.

• Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
I am definitely an "I need to speak to your manager" type. LOL! My SIL is getting the run around right now from a carpet company and she won't call the manager to complain!! I'm like, give me the damn phone number already!! Getting used to the differences in customer service will definitely be a tough one for me. If I'm paying my good, hard-earned money for something, I don't deal with BS very well.

Now, the sarcasm stuff will probably end me. I'm the least sarcastic person around. I just don't use it on other people for a laugh at their expense. I'm very empathic and hate to make anyone feel bad even if it's supposedly in good fun. So, I'm fully expecting to be at the other end of a lot of sarcasm as I'll be an easy target. And I'm super duper sensitive. Ugh. I'm currently working on skin-thickening techniques like it's an olympic sport!!  [smiley=laugh3.gif]

Hi I remember you were seeking for some advise on visa matter. I hope things are going smoothly on your end!!

I was known to be quite sarcastic back in U.S but British people take it to the whole different level.... lol

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 04:26:29 PM »
Hi I remember you were seeking for some advise on visa matter. I hope things are going smoothly on your end!!

I was known to be quite sarcastic back in U.S but British people take it to the whole different level.... lol

Hi! Thanks! Yes, things have gone well. I got my approval and I just arrived in the UK this past Saturday! Going to pick up my BRP on Friday and just getting life going in this new world!

I'm gearing myself up for the sarcasm!! I wonder if there are like any sarcasm improv classes around. I might need to sign up for them! LOL!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
I'm gearing myself up for the sarcasm!! I wonder if there are like any sarcasm improv classes around. I might need to sign up for them! LOL!

My advice would be that "when in doubt, don't take something too personally if you aren't sure as more likely than not it will be sarcasm". Obviously people being flat out rude is another story but I think sometimes Brits like to wind others up for fun haha
My, how time flies....

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
My advice would be that "when in doubt, don't take something too personally if you aren't sure as more likely than not it will be sarcasm". Obviously people being flat out rude is another story but I think sometimes Brits like to wind others up for fun haha

Well, I think if it's someone I know I'll assume it sarcasm and probably not think much of it. But if a perfect stranger is rude to me, that might be a different story! LOL!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »
I love the puns over here

I have had a Brit tell me that puns are verboten in their company's written content.

Who doesn't love our very 'poplar' development, Birchqood has... Blah blah blah.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
I have had a Brit tell me that puns are verboten in their company's written content.

Who doesn't love our very 'poplar' development, Birchqood has... Blah blah blah.
Wow, that's a bit extreme!

Sponsored Links