Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you enjoy UK Winters?  (Read 15627 times)

• Liked: 3
Do you enjoy UK Winters?
« on: November 03, 2018, 01:07:31 AM »
You hear opinions from various people that say the best season of the year take place once the weather begins to cool. Picture firplaces and hot coco ect.Then some of those people visit places like Chicago, and Seattle in the winter and the idea of warm weather begin to look a whole lot more important. My question is how are you dealing with the weather in your area of the UK including Northern Ireland and Scotland? And does the weather feel more severe than back in the States?

Thanks

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Do you enjoy UK Winters?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:22:58 AM »
I'm from Wisconsin, and UK winters aren't nearly cold enough for my taste. This hovering-just-above-freezing-but-never-dropping-below business is the worst. If it would just freeze then the cold would pull the moisture from the air and we'd actually feel warmer because everything wouldn't be so flipping damp. People think I'm crazy when I tell them I miss really cold winters, but I do.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »
I haven't been here long enough to have a full opinion, but I was from WNY where shoveling daily was a part of life in the winter. I do not miss that at all, and I can put on enough layers to stay warm here. I'm in southern England so it's more mild than up north!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:13:58 AM »
I love the winter!

But in April and May it can  overstay it's welcome a bit.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
Ha, yesterday, I posted that I was already sick of cold, frost, and defrosting the chicken's water and it's only been 4 days.  ;D
To be honest though, I actually don't mind the cold weather ,as long as I have a cozy fire and enough layers on to feel warm.
 I live in the Scottish Highlands in a wee village and  last year was a proper winter.  That made me happy. Except,  I grew up in Massachusetts, so I get annoyed mostly that even the Highlands are shite at cleaning roads properly. Grit just makes stuff slushy and then icy when it refreezes.  I have a Land Rover though, so I can get around fine. 
I do find freezing fog so intriguing. Though it sure makes things treacherous.  I lived in South Florida for 6 years before I moved here. I moved in January, and it was so dark and cold and slippery and I was like, 'OMG, what I have I done?!', hahaha.  Found my winter mojo again and all is well!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »
After 29 years in south Louisiana and SE Texas I find I am loving the winters, particularly since we are retired and don't have to drive to work on very snowy days.  Last winter was particularly snowy and our son had just moved here from SE Texas having never driven in snow and ice in his life. He was still living with us when the first heavy snow happened and he needed to be in work at 5am, a 12 mile drive. That day, and the following day after a fresh snowfall, I drove him to and from work giving him instructions on how to drive in snow.  We had several snowy days after that and he managed just fine by himself.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
The short answer is NO, haha. I don't like winter, full stop. Either or there. I grew up in Kansas where we could have pretty harsh winters. I moved to Tampa in 1997 & was perfectly happy for a number of years there, not dealing with winter at all. Then I married this cool dude here & ended up in northern England.  :P Been here nearly 15 years, still don't like winter, don't like cold, don't like snow & ice. Ok, snow is pretty if you can stay inside and watch it, but then it needs to get gone soon (fortunately that usually happens here).

This past summer though? That was FABULOUS. That's my kind of weather through and through. It was the best summer I've had here in 14 years. A lot of times summer here is a complete non-starter, so I feel like Mother Nature did a bit of making up to me.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »
I spent part of my life in the N.E. USA, part in Texas (in various locations) and part on the West Coast. So I've seen hurricanes, tornados, dust storms, earthquakes, flash floods, and proper blizzards. Was snowed in for a week, one time, when we had a particularly bad snowstorm and they couldn't get the ploughs out to the little hamlet where I lived. No biggie - the power stayed on and we had a well-stocked pantry.

I love it here. It doesn't get too hot in the summer, and winter is ok. But, then, I don't have to go out unless I want to and I have a nice, cozy, energy-efficient flat to live in. With public transportation not too far away.  The thing I'd forgotten about, it having been almost a quarter of a century since I lived somewhere with brutal winters, is the wind. Here in Glasgow it's not too bad, unless it's really cold AND really windy. It cuts right through you, and makes it hard to breathe. (So I just don't go out when it's like that.) I do enjoy the seasons though. Pitch black at 5:00pm took a bit of getting used to, as did being able to read the paper without a lamp on at 10:00pm in the summer. When it rains I just bundle up and go out anyway, but when it does that sideways sleet it's a bit much to deal with. So when there are several days like that in a row I start to get just a bit of cabin fever.

The last place I lived, winter was like summer is here, and then summer was hot and miserable, and then fall was fire season. Except that as time went on fire season started creeping earlier in the year and lasting longer. So, overall, you betcha, I like winter here way better. It's prettier. And it doesnt' burn down.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:21:31 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
defrosting the chicken's water

I will admit I don't think about this phrase a lot.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:24:38 PM »
I will admit I don't think about this phrase a lot.

Even if you don't have chickens, you will need to defrost your birdbaths when they freeze...

• Liked: 248
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
Winter!  November!  Which means nearly Christmas!!!  What is not to like?

• Liked: 21
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
I haaaaate UK winters! Damp, mild, grey. No thanks! I'm from Ohio where winters are cold, crisp and snowy. I'm thankful to be spending a month in Ohio this winter, including over Christmas/New Year's.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 01:46:15 AM »
Ha, yesterday, I posted that I was already sick of cold, frost, and defrosting the chicken's water and it's only been 4 days.  ;D
To be honest though, I actually don't mind the cold weather ,as long as I have a cozy fire and enough layers on to feel warm.
 I live in the Scottish Highlands in a wee village and  last year was a proper winter.  That made me happy. Except,  I grew up in Massachusetts, so I get annoyed mostly that even the Highlands are shite at cleaning roads properly. Grit just makes stuff slushy and then icy when it refreezes.  I have a Land Rover though, so I can get around fine. 
I do find freezing fog so intriguing. Though it sure makes things treacherous.  I lived in South Florida for 6 years before I moved here. I moved in January, and it was so dark and cold and slippery and I was like, 'OMG, what I have I done?!', hahaha.  Found my winter mojo again and all is well!

Going from Florida to Scotland winters must have been a bit of a jolt at first in the beginning. Do you feel more chilled to the bone in winter? I've experienced winters in the Northeast with tempts in the low teens and you simply make the needed adjustments with wearing additional clothing. But I've also lived in the Pacific Northwest and felt the extreme damp winters when the tempts hovered near 40 degrees but you couldn't help feel far more miserable. It actually felt like the damp seeped into every corpuscle. Probably a personal preference thing but I can deal with the snow and freezing tempts better than a the very damp winter. The damp makes me feel like I can never get warm enough in the outdoors.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 01:55:53 AM »
After 29 years in south Louisiana and SE Texas I find I am loving the winters, particularly since we are retired and don't have to drive to work on very snowy days.  Last winter was particularly snowy and our son had just moved here from SE Texas having never driven in snow and ice in his life. He was still living with us when the first heavy snow happened and he needed to be in work at 5am, a 12 mile drive. That day, and the following day after a fresh snowfall, I drove him to and from work giving him instructions on how to drive in snow.  We had several snowy days after that and he managed just fine by himself.

Does your son enjoy the winters in the UK?  I use to work in San Antonio and spent quite a bit of time in Houston. To live in Texas you pretty much have to enjoy extremely hot weather. 105 degrees is quite the norm in summer in Texas.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:46:28 PM by Overheadsmash »

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 02:27:45 AM »
I haaaaate UK winters! Damp, mild, grey. No thanks! I'm from Ohio where winters are cold, crisp and snowy. I'm thankful to be spending a month in Ohio this winter, including over Christmas/New Year's.

I can totally relate and I've also lived in various regions of the country from the west coast to the east.. It's really difficult to dress for damp weather because there is no way to keep the damp out when outside the house. Tempts in the teens don't feel that severe on the skin compared to wet damp windy environments. I lived in Seattle for one full year the tempts never got below 35 degrees the entire winter but I tell you never have I felt that cold in my life. And I have experienced single digit temperatures in the northeast. Florida has been pretty much idea weather year long. Europe is going to be a bit of an adjustment on several levels. Has the weather been a big enough factor in Europe that you debated the wisdom of being there year long?

Sponsored Links