Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit Planning - what are you doing?  (Read 4999 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: Brexit Planning - what are you doing?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
They've been sold out of the only bread that doesn't make me sick due to a supplier issue for weeks. After feeling the pinch from that I'm genuinely concerned that we will struggle on brexit since my diet is limited and relies almost entirely on fresh food. We don't have a big freezer and can't batch cook as a result. If all hell breaks loose I will probably be ending up with a feeding tube because I can still barely keep down food, assuming those supplies are even available. Definitely picking up some extra TP and paper goods, lady products, and the limited canned & dry goods we use. My husband will be fine, he can eat anything. Cover it in hot sauce (which we have plenty of) and he's happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can you put stuff up in jars, Margo?

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
Not really preparing at all, but genuine question in case I should be...

My thought process is that I would only really need to stock up on stuff that isn't produced in the UK/outside the EU. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is the exit from the EU likely to cause issues with our own internal governance because of how linked to the EU our rules are? Are there particular reasons why stocking up on toilet paper would be a concern?

I suspect the issue is that it's going to be congestion at the ports that is the biggest problem. The Daughter says her shop gets a lot of their produce from South Africa, but it has to come in the same ports as all the EU stuff comes through. SO if the additional paperwork and inspections cause the ports to be backed up, the result is the same. Perishables perish and can't be sold.

Loo roll is, I believe, because most of the fibre they use to make it comes from outside of the UK. Same problem with the ports. I'd assume there's probably plenty of fibre supply in-country at present, and there should be no shortage, but do you really want to find out the hard way that's not the case?  ;) ;) ;)

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 03:07:01 PM »
Such an unnecessary pointless manufactured disaster. Why something that will create widespread havoc and nationwide disruption is just being allowed to happen is beyond me. ::) Sorry, rant over. Just can't believe how it sometimes.  >:(

I brought some Boots bodywash back from the UK with me and it said made in Bulgaria, does that mean basic things like that won't be available anymore? Or is it mostly food?

There may be additional tariffs leveled on goods from outside the UK, so the price may go up. There'll be customs/ports congestion for most items coming in from outside the UK, which is where the fears about food arise. The system, which has a really short pick-and-deliver for sale timeline, could get bogged down when there are extra customs checks and paperwork that has to happen before the freight can leave the UK ports for distribution centers. One truck stuck at a port isn't a big deal. Thousands of them being backed up at any time is going to be... bad. Just bad. They will eventually work it out, but you know what happens when things suddenly become hard to get... prices go up.  If Boots has a ton of the bodywash in a warehouse somewhere, there may not be any change at all unless/until they can't get it from Bulgaria again. (If.)

Hopefully they'll sort it out and there won't be the worst-case scenario. I'm not terribly optimistic, but would love to be proven wrong on my opinion of the rules/regulatory/logistics people in this government.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 03:10:46 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

I brought some Boots bodywash back from the UK with me and it said made in Bulgaria, does that mean basic things like that won't be available anymore? Or is it mostly food?

Boots No 7 product range is available at Target in the USA.  Don't know if that helps you or not. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
Hi! Just wanted to mention from a pharmacy tech perspective that you will be pleased to know many meds are UK made. However that does not mean not to be diligent ( one always should be up on their refills anyway) many specialized inhalers are not made in the UK. I'll look tomm at wk and try to gather info. Yet please everyone remember the pharmacies are at the mercy of this as well. There is no way we can stockpile because of expiration dates and high cost. Also control substance and other rules apply, aka you cannot buy 3 boxes of ibuprofen and Codine due to Brexit lol. Be kind to your tech's and counter help cause we are all in this together, grocers too.xx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the helpful info!

The 2 box max for ibuprofen can be a killer but I just buy 2 boxes every week when I do my shopping so have already begun stockpiling (for no particular reason, just like to have them all in stock just in case!)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »

Thanks for the helpful info!

The 2 box max for ibuprofen can be a killer but I just buy 2 boxes every week when I do my shopping so have already begun stockpiling (for no particular reason, just like to have them all in stock just in case!)

If you buy it at the pharmacy counter you can get a big box. Works out cheaper and you get more!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 03:44:05 PM »
Boots No 7 product range is available at Target in the USA.  Don't know if that helps you or not.

I know it's at Target, but the one I brought back was one I've never seen here.

I am just blown away by how stupid this whole thing is. Why would anyone want everything to be backed up at customs and more expensive? What problem does this solve? It only creates problems. And for what?
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 03:45:02 PM »
And you can go to as many pharmacies as you want in a day.  ;)

We are well-stocked with the usual stuff, although I do want to get more antihistimines. Just because it's really unpleasant when everything finally decides to bloom and one doesn't have any antihistimines available.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 03:52:09 PM »
I know it's at Target, but the one I brought back was one I've never seen here.

I am just blown away by how stupid this whole thing is. Why would anyone want everything to be backed up at customs and more expensive? What problem does this solve? It only creates problems. And for what?

Yeah, well it wasn't marketed to the masses based on the downsides. There was a lot of "take back control of" (hark, remember the good old days of the Empire??) and "keep our money here instead of sending it to them"  and "keep them immigrants from taking our jobs" sorta stuff. The govmt didn't even do outcome planning prior to making the decision to pull the trigger, which just astounds me. Your average Joe/Jane on the street probably never thought past the bumperstickers.  There will be, of course, some who made a rational, thought-out decision to vote leave. But I bet that wasn't the majority of the English/Welsh who voted to leave (and are dragging the other two countries kicking and screaming out even though they voted to stay).

As the Daughter says, it's been a clusterf**k from the get-go.

You know, I could swear I heard the other day that the govmt had the largest budget surplus in like 20 years. And they are still doing serious "austerity" measures so that surplus isn't funneling back down to the people of the country. I suspect a lot of people may have the idea that "it's all going to be better economically" once the UK falls over the cliff. Anyway, the huge budgetary surplus is benefiting someone. Just like the UK leaving the EU will benefit someone.  Just not most of us. :(

Note:  The above is personal opinion. Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:37:06 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 03:55:48 PM »

If you buy it at the pharmacy counter you can get a big box. Works out cheaper and you get more!

Ah! Good tip! How many are in the big box and do I need to say I'm buying them for any particular reason?
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
And you can go to as many pharmacies as you want in a day.  ;)

hahahah I don't have time for that! (more I can't justify making the drive to another shop to stock up on something I don't usually need). I just stick with my one shop a week and get the 2x while I'm there but this big box might take things to next level! LOL :p

Good shout on the antihistamines! didn't think about that one and we're approaching the season!

I don't think they did outcome planning prior because I don't think they thought it would ever pass...I think they thought that they'd throw the option out there for a vote and that would make everybody happy and shut up those that were shouting we should leave. I don't think they ever once imagined it'd pass

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 12
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »
One of the "benefits" of moving to the UK for us was going to be cheaper groceries. And another benefit was European standards of higher food quality. Now they're probably going to be importing American food anyway. Ah well. What a joke.

That combined with much lower wages, fewer available jobs and the real risk of long term unemployment but zero credit upon arrival, smaller but expensive houses with no storage, the economy under threat, and possibly the NHS too, and lack of availability of some of our Rxs plus melatonin, I just don't know anymore.  :(

What is the UK doing to itself? It's like watching a country commit suicide to prove a point.
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 05:54:44 PM »
The one thing I didn't take into consideration was pet food.....

My cats were my first thought. We can make do and adapt what we eat if we have to but I need to know they won't be impacted!  :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »
... we are all in this together,...

Never a truer word was spoken!  :)

• Liked: 73
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 06:08:06 PM »
I was born just after the Second World War ended and there was food rationing for the first nine years of my life. I feel I have come full circle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab