Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Brexit Planning - what are you doing?  (Read 5030 times)

• Liked: 4985
Brexit Planning - what are you doing?
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
Adopting the approach of "plan for the worst, hope for the best", we have started prepping a bit for Brexit.

I am filling the chest freezer with batch cooked meals.  It's something I do regularly anyway, but just making sure it's lovely and full now.  Of course if there are no issues with food supplies, we just have tasty dinners ready to go.   :D

Taking the advice from the article below, I bought a giant pack of toilet paper this weekend. 

I thought - for those of us taking precautions - we could have a place to say what we are doing in case it sparks ideas for others.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/brexit-prepare-leave-eu-tips-stockpiling-cars-health-currency-medicine-travel-a8533101.html

• Liked: 533
Re: Brexit Planning - what are you doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:59 AM »
I plan on celebrating May's resignation tomorrow night.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
I plan on celebrating May's resignation tomorrow night.

Tsk.   ;) ;)

The short supply things... I stocked up a while ago on things coming from the EU. Loo Roll, garlic, olives, olive oil, dried German sausage. Chances are there are plenty of those items stocked in warehouses somewhere and there won't be shortages, but I'd eventually use these up anyway so I consider it as just having "pre-bought" at prices when they were on good sale.  (I did try to stock up yesterday a bit more on my favorite "Lazy" garlic, but Tesco now says they are out of it. (Minced, in jars.) So I'll be hunting around for a different supply. Fresh garlic goes bad more quickly than minced and that's why I prefer to buy the jarred stuff. Even though you lose a little bit of the flavor.) I'll be going to the next farmer's market and buying several packages of bacon and will freeze it. And to the Polish store for more of their lovely egg noodles. The bacon is British, but if the Danish supplies dry up temporarily there will be pressure on the British bacon market and I assume prices will rise or shortages may occur.  Which is kinda funny, considering how much pork-barreling has gone on down in London in the last couple of weeks. {insert rim shot}

;)

Yeah, well, I try. 8)

I think the temporary shortages are going to be in the produce section, really. The Fresh Foods that will go "off" if they are delayed too long at the border for inspections and paperwork. There's not a lot of "prepping" you can do for that. The Daughter has been bringing home things like bell peppers that can be diced up and put in the freezer, so we now have a drawer of frozen diced peppers. I'm watching the markets for fresh berries, and will freeze some and process some into jars. I may experiment with drying them in the dehydrator, but I think it'd take forever and use up enough energy to negate any price savings. The only thing it WOULD do is let me reconstitute berries for use in cakes, etc., in times when no fresh berries were available. But it's probably not cost-effective.

Our freezer is tiny. There are times I REALLY miss having a good-sized American fridge freezer. The Fridge space I don't really need that much, it's the freezer I miss. I have always bought in bulk when things are on good sale, and then either canned, dried, or frozen them (as appropriate) for later use. Can't do much of that here, really. Well, not the last process, anyway. We have a bit of floor space available that I could put a small separate freezer into, but I don't think the electric circuits in this flat would handle it. (The breaker blows when I have the Christmas tree lit at the holidays and try to run the vacuum on the same circuit!)

The Daughter says that she can tell when there's been some announcment about Brexit on the days she works at the shop. There will suddenly be a "run" on items such as Kale or other produce. She says the Europeans she talks to seem to be more prudent, and buy long-lasting items such as dry pasta. And there was a Northern Irish guy who came in and bought a case of Irish oatmeal. (Which is smart, when you think of it. It lasts forever, and you can actually live on it. More or less.) She says that shes noticed the Eastern Europeans stocking up a bit more and the Scots and English don't seem to be doing much pre-buying. As much as she can tell. (It's not exactly a scientific study, but she's a good observer of people.)

Anyway, Daughter says that this weekend "The Herd was uneasy." People were more snappish than usual and many were looking a bit anxious. (She says she doubts they were aware they were being that way.)  She is dreading the weekend before Brexit, and then the weekend after, at work.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:33:02 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the "lazy" range of products.  I also buy my onions already diced.   ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:38:41 AM »
I keep everything pretty well stocked as a rule anyway.. combination of my nature and earthquake preparedness being driven home when I lived in the US!

I have bought extra cat food and cat litter.
And tins of soup! Chicken soup for the protein and carrot and coriander for it's deliciousness and to stave off scurvy!   ;D

I anticipate shortages of fresh produce will be the thing that impacts us (personally) the most, I'm preparing for that mentally and wishing my fingers were greener. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »
Not really preparing at all, but genuine question in case I should be...

My thought process is that I would only really need to stock up on stuff that isn't produced in the UK/outside the EU. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is the exit from the EU likely to cause issues with our own internal governance because of how linked to the EU our rules are? Are there particular reasons why stocking up on toilet paper would be a concern?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:57:43 PM »
Such an unnecessary pointless manufactured disaster. Why something that will create widespread havoc and nationwide disruption is just being allowed to happen is beyond me. ::) Sorry, rant over. Just can't believe how it sometimes.  >:(

I brought some Boots bodywash back from the UK with me and it said made in Bulgaria, does that mean basic things like that won't be available anymore? Or is it mostly food?

Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
I brought some Boots bodywash back from the UK with me and it said made in Bulgaria, does that mean basic things like that won't be available anymore? Or is it mostly food?

The problem is we don't know. I don't think anybody knows. All we know is that it's not going to be positive... (at least not immediately...it will be a pretty rough time for a while at the rate we're going with this we're we can't reach any type of agreement on deals).
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 02:05:02 PM »
They've been sold out of the only bread that doesn't make me sick due to a supplier issue for weeks. After feeling the pinch from that I'm genuinely concerned that we will struggle on brexit since my diet is limited and relies almost entirely on fresh food. We don't have a big freezer and can't batch cook as a result. If all hell breaks loose I will probably be ending up with a feeding tube because I can still barely keep down food, assuming those supplies are even available. Definitely picking up some extra TP and paper goods, lady products, and the limited canned & dry goods we use. My husband will be fine, he can eat anything. Cover it in hot sauce (which we have plenty of) and he's happy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 02:12:43 PM »

And tins of soup! Chicken soup for the protein and carrot and coriander for it's deliciousness and to stave off scurvy!   ;D

The one thing I didn't take into consideration was pet food.....
My, how time flies....

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
Not really preparing at all, but genuine question in case I should be...

My thought process is that I would only really need to stock up on stuff that isn't produced in the UK/outside the EU. Am I wrong in thinking this? Is the exit from the EU likely to cause issues with our own internal governance because of how linked to the EU our rules are? Are there particular reasons why stocking up on toilet paper would be a concern?

It's in the article I attached.  Apparently we get our wood pulp from Sweden and the other countries who could supply us with TP doesn't have as nice of pulp.  Sandpaper toilet paper.  LOL. 

Here's what's so hard - the scaremongering is out of control.  Some of these things are very very real issues.  Some are just blowing smoke.  But how are we to know which ones are the ones to take seriously? 

I don't for a second think that all airplanes will suddenly grind to a halt.  But I do suspect there are some essential trade things with Europe that are further spread than we imagine.  I'm sure we will see some issues with produce from Europe - which will quickly be remedied with produce from the Americas (north and south) - but at a cost. 

Ugh, I wish we could stop all of this nonsense!

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 02:19:55 PM »

Here's what's so hard - the scaremongering is out of control.  Some of these things are very very real issues.  Some are just blowing smoke.  But how are we to know which ones are the ones to take seriously? 

I think, in honesty, my concern is the scaremongering. Beyond not knowing what to take seriously and what is "fake news", my concern is that everybody rushing to the shops and panic buying will drive things to be out of stock so you kind of have to be part of it so you don't end up screwed.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
I think, in honesty, my concern is the scaremongering. Beyond not knowing what to take seriously and what is "fake news", my concern is that everybody rushing to the shops and panic buying will drive things to be out of stock so you kind of have to be part of it so you don't end up screwed.

Yup!  I lived most of my life in hurricane land.  The smallest sniff of a storm and the stores were empty and allllllll the gas stations out of fuel.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
Yup!  I lived most of my life in hurricane land.  The smallest sniff of a storm and the stores were empty and allllllll the gas stations out of fuel.

All you had to say was "sandpaper toilet paper" and now I'm on board and have told Rik we're ordering toilet paper on Amazon when I get home just in case lol

I think we're very fortunate as we don't have food allergies and can eat pretty much anything so I don't think we'll starve but I am going to clean out the fridge and freezer to make space for more frozen veg just in case.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 49
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 02:56:47 PM »
Adopting the approach of "plan for the worst, hope for the best", we have started prepping a bit for Brexit.

I am filling the chest freezer with batch cooked meals.  It's something I do regularly anyway, but just making sure it's lovely and full now.  Of course if there are no issues with food supplies, we just have tasty dinners ready to go.   :D

Taking the advice from the article below, I bought a giant pack of toilet paper this weekend. 

I thought - for those of us taking precautions - we could have a place to say what we are doing in case it sparks ideas for others.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/brexit-prepare-leave-eu-tips-stockpiling-cars-health-currency-medicine-travel-a8533101.html
Hi! Just wanted to mention from a pharmacy tech perspective that you will be pleased to know many meds are UK made. However that does not mean not to be diligent ( one always should be up on their refills anyway) many specialized inhalers are not made in the UK. I'll look tomm at wk and try to gather info. Yet please everyone remember the pharmacies are at the mercy of this as well. There is no way we can stockpile because of expiration dates and high cost. Also control substance and other rules apply, aka you cannot buy 3 boxes of ibuprofen and Codine due to Brexit lol. Be kind to your tech's and counter help cause we are all in this together, grocers too.xx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links