Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting ss paid into UK bank account  (Read 3537 times)

• Liked: 37
Getting ss paid into UK bank account
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:46:55 AM »
Hi can anyone please advise me how to get SS paid into our UK bank account. Up to now it still gets paid into our US bank, I  wrote to the American Embassy in London and they sent a form to fill out but nowhere on the form does it ask for details of the UK bank or anything about the us account it's paid into,  it's concentrating on current address and details regarding my husband and self. I'm getting concerned as my husband and I will not he returning to the US and don't know how much longer the bank there will keep our account open.  ???
Met for the first time 2012
Married in the US May 2014
Biometrics for husband 12th June
Package mailed priority  to Sheffield 13th June
Email confirmation from Sheffield 16th June.
Decision received 11th July 😀 17 BD

• Liked: 6110
Re: Getting ss paid into UK bank account
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »
Hi can anyone please advise me how to get SS paid into our UK bank account. Up to now it still gets paid into our US bank, I  wrote to the American Embassy in London and they sent a form to fill out but nowhere on the form does it ask for details of the UK bank or anything about the us account it's paid into,  it's concentrating on current address and details regarding my husband and self. I'm getting concerned as my husband and I will not he returning to the US and don't know how much longer the bank there will keep our account open.  ???

Hi Janette!  :D

I think this is what you need.
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/federal-benefits/requesting-or-reporting-a-change-of-direct-deposit-for-benefits/

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »
Thanks Larrabee, however I already did this and received form SSA-21which as I mentioned before is just a supplement to claim for persons outside of the United States... This form does not ask for any details regarding banks it's entirely concerned with our details,  current address and tax. I'm worried that if I post this as it stands that SS may decide to post cheques 😱

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »
Thanks Larrabee, however I already did this and received form SSA-21which as I mentioned before is just a supplement to claim for persons outside of the United States... This form does not ask for any details regarding banks it's entirely concerned with our details,  current address and tax. I'm worried that if I post this as it stands that SS may decide to post cheques 😱

Did you give your bank details in the first letter as instructed? If you did, I presume they will have recorded the information on your record at that time as the instructions specifically refer to-Requesting or Reporting a Change of Direct Deposit for Benefits

If you are worried though, give them a call or use their online form to get in touch.   :)

For the Federal Benefits Unit, the most efficient way is by using our online form.  You can also call us as follows:

Callers within the UK:  please call 020-7499-9000  Extensions 23926
International callers:  Please call +44-20-7499-9000  Extensions 23926

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/contact-us-citizen-services/

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:51:04 PM »
Hi Larrabee  :)
Yes I gave them all the information they request on their website.
It's reassuring to know they'll have recorded it,  so I'll go ahead and fill in the form and hopefully won't have to call them.
Life isn't as easy anymore as my husband was diagnosed with early onset vascular dementia last summer and consequently is no longer able to help me with anything  :\\\'(

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
Hi Larrabee  :)
Yes I gave them all the information they request on their website.
It's reassuring to know they'll have recorded it,  so I'll go ahead and fill in the form and hopefully won't have to call them.
Life isn't as easy anymore as my husband was diagnosed with early onset vascular dementia last summer and consequently is no longer able to help me with anything  :\\\'(

I'm so sorry to hear that.  :\\\'(  Do you have any help with him at all or are you able to manage still? Please take care of yourself.

I'm just presuming, hopefully @durhamlad  or someone else in that situation will be along soon to confirm.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »
I get a carer 4 hours every Friday,  courtesy of a social workers efforts under the humanitarian act.
Otherwise nothing as you are aware I can't claim disability for him yet, although the dwp are telling me that attendance allowance isn't  means tested and he's old enough to apply for that but we have to wait till September when we've been in the UK for 2years.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
I get a carer 4 hours every Friday,  courtesy of a social workers efforts under the humanitarian act.
Otherwise nothing as you are aware I can't claim disability for him yet, although the dwp are telling me that attendance allowance isn't  means tested and he's old enough to apply for that but we have to wait till September when we've been in the UK for 2years.

Unfortunately, the terms of his visa don't permit him to claim public funds so you will need to wait until he has ILR before you can claim any UK benefits for him.
TBH, I don't know what the rules are as regards having a caregiver provided. If it's coming from the NHS budget, it would be fine I think but coming from the council budget, I don't know.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 02:40:24 PM »
Social worker and all his healthcare providers are aware of his nationality and his visa status, they have copies of all his records. I have to contribute to the cost of his care... But bear in mind I'm disabled with fibromyalgia and caring for him 24/7 at my age (70)  is almost impossible, my own health is suffering now, so I'm taking everything they offer Larrabee.
The dwp are aware of Robs immigration status and the stage he's reached,  though his visa needs updating as from April next,  so it maybe they'll make him wait for his attendance allowance.  ::)

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Social worker and all his healthcare providers are aware of his nationality and his visa status, they have copies of all his records. I have to contribute to the cost of his care... But bear in mind I'm disabled with fibromyalgia and caring for him 24/7 at my age (70)  is almost impossible, my own health is suffering now, so I'm taking everything they offer Larrabee.
The dwp are aware of Robs immigration status and the stage he's reached,  though his visa needs updating as from April next,  so it maybe they'll make him wait for his attendance allowance.  ::)

I understand how difficult it is for you, honestly. I just don't want you to get caught out by the visa rules. :-\\\\  Unfortunately, it's not a case of them making you wait, you should actually not apply for attendance allowance while he's on a visa which doesn't permit recourse to public funds or you risk him being refused at the next stage.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
Thank you for all your help Larrabee ...i will reread all the guidelines  and I'll make sure I'm careful not to apply for anything he isn't entitled to  ;).

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »
In the meantime, I think all you need to do is fill out the Direct Deposit form from the Federal Benefits Unit to get payments changed to a UK bank.  Contact the FBU again and request this form.  They will email it for you to print, complete and post back.  If they emailed the SSA-21 to you, I'm surprised they didn't also attach the direct deposit form in the same email.  But you can certainly request it.

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »
They sent the form in the post,  after making it clear they do not deal with online forms. No they didn't include any direct deposit form with the SSA-21 form.
I think I'll give them a call before I do anything else,  just to be sure.
Thank you for the advice  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »
They sent the form in the post,  after making it clear they do not deal with online forms. No they didn't include any direct deposit form with the SSA-21 form.
I think I'll give them a call before I do anything else,  just to be sure.
Thank you for the advice  :)

Have you been successful in phoning them before?  Whenever I've tried, I get a recording saying I should phone back during their service hours, even when I'm calling during their service hours.  Their email response to the contact form is notoriously slow, too.  But it's a service, and it's there... just.  ;)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links