Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bruges Christmas Market?  (Read 1628 times)

• Liked: 672
Bruges Christmas Market?
« on: September 15, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
Has anyone been to the Bruges Christmas markets? We'd like to go this year, but are not sure if it's best to book through a tour company (where they arrange all the transportation and hotel) or if we should just book a room in a hotel for two nights and make our own travel.

If you've been to this market and stayed at a hotel nearby, we could use a recommendation for a good hotel there.  Also, how difficult is it to get from the airport to the area of town where the market/hotel would me?

Thanks!

• Liked: 1891
Re: Bruges Christmas Market?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »
I can wholeheartedly recommend Bruge, we went last Christmas and it was pretty fun.  The market itself wasn't that interesting, just walking around, taking a boat tour and eating chocolate is way better and you can do that any time. 

We drove and stayed at an air bnb in zebrugge which wouldn't work for you.  The Euro star goes straight there.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
Brugge is a really nice wee town, but i agree with Jimbo, the Christmas market is just naff.....pretty much the same as the Christmas markets in Koeln and Munchen.  It's the same old stuff all the time... same as the stuff you can get in the Glasgow German market. 

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
Ok then.... how about the Christmas markets in Germany or Austria?

We can't take the Eurostar - the Daughter gets train-sick. It'll be flying or by coach.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »
Following, a nice Christmas Market is on the list for this year or next. I still haven't even been to the European mainland at all since moving. :( need to change that and see more of the world!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 04:05:30 PM by margo »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »
Following, a nice Christmas Market is on the list for this year or next. I still haven't even been to the mainland at all since moving. :( need to change that and see more of the world!

When you say the mainland, I think you mean mainland Europe. You are on mainland UK!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »
Prague might be a decent market, but I haven't actually been in years. 

I bet if you went to Bruge at another time it would be higher value.

Have you guys ever ridden the Euro star?  Daughter would have to be Very sensitive since it's pretty comfortable.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
When you say the mainland, I think you mean mainland Europe. You are on mainland UK!
Edited my post accordingly, thank you for the grammar lesson.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »
Edited my post accordingly, thank you for the grammar lesson.

Not grammar, geography!  ;D  ;)

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
Ok then.... how about the Christmas markets in Germany or Austria?

As I mentioned earlier:
pretty much the same as the Christmas markets in Koeln and Munchen.  It's the same old stuff all the time... same as the stuff you can get in the Glasgow German market. 

If you've never been, then I'd say go once for the experience, but I found the markets disappointing and the ones I've been to seem to be much of a muchness and not hugely different from what we get in Glasgow.  I'm just not really into folksy wooden wee dust-gathering trinkets.  But I did like the roasted/candied nut stalls... can't remember if Glasgow has that... too much gluhwein!  ;)

My vote would be for Munchen/Munich, because in addition to the Christmas markets, you can also go to the Viktualenmarkt for some soft, warm, butter-injected pretzels, incredible olives, and huge, crunchy dill pickles.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »
Not grammar, geography!  ;D  ;)

LOL... remember when people used to call it 'The Continent'?!  Do they still do that?  I can't think when I last heard it called that...

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 09:25:40 AM »
LOL... remember when people used to call it 'The Continent'?!  Do they still do that?  I can't think when I last heard it called that...

I immediately thought "she could say 'the Continent'"  after seeing larrabee's post about 'mainland Europe' versus 'mainland UK'.  So I guess I still call it that.  But I was not 100% confident in my terminology.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »
After visiting several Christmas markets, I really don't get the fuss.  Just tat and food.  Love food, but one can only eat and drink so much.  Yes, I am lame.  Really lame.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
I have been to a few Christmas Markets on Mainland Europe - 1.) Nice, France   2.) Ghent, Belgium  3.) Napajedla, Czech Republic  and all three have been different.
The one in Nice was interesting because it was pretty warmish ,so didn't need too much mulled wine to keep warm. But they did a nice job getting the city decked out. 
The one in Ghent was pretty big. We loved the 'Scottish' stall selling fudge and tablet.  The guy was so funny and kept trying to get us to buy stuff. 
The one in Napajedla was tiny, a rural village kind of thing and the local crafts people were out selling stuff, local food and the school kids were performing traditional dances.  I loved that one! 

Anyways, I like the kitsch and tat and colours of Christmas markets.   But pick a place to go for the whole city as you can visit one Christmas market pretty quickly.   (Ghent and Napajedla were visited on work related trips, so I saw them with locals, which was also interesting).   - You could do a tour, that stops off and visits a few different ones too. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 10:05:50 AM »
Prague might be a decent market, but I haven't actually been in years. 

I bet if you went to Bruge at another time it would be higher value.

Have you guys ever ridden the Euro star?  Daughter would have to be Very sensitive since it's pretty comfortable.

I'd never get her on the train.  Besides, then we'd have to come all the way down to London to catch it, which would add another day on each end of the trip. Because we'd have to take a coach down....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab