Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New laws coming into effect for immigration  (Read 879 times)

• Liked: 2
New laws coming into effect for immigration
« on: February 19, 2020, 07:31:50 AM »
New sweeping immigration laws are coming into effect in the UK. do you think that spouse visas will be affected at any point? Or changes made to the requirements?

• Liked: 6110
Re: New laws coming into effect for immigration
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:37:13 AM »
New sweeping immigration laws are coming into effect in the UK. do you think that spouse visas will be affected at any point? Or changes made to the requirements?

So far I've only seen discussion of work visas. My guess is they will leave the spouse visas alone for now and EU citizen partner applicants will just have to meet the same requirements as those from the rest of the world.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 07:52:50 AM »
Looks like they are doing a rehaul of the points-based system for work visas, changing it to cover all non-UK citizens and not just non EEA-citizens.

I think it sounds worse than it is in the news because they are acting as if this is a brand new way of qualifying for visas, whereas actually we have had a points-based system in place for years. The only difference now is that they are changing the requirements for it a little, and now EEA citizens have to meet the requirements too... they can’t just come over and work in any job, they have to meet the points requirements for skilled jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
wow really! It'll be interesting to see the long term effects of that with the next generation of the workforce. I hope the UK will still be able to attract top talent.  I always thought that London would remain as a financial hub, but this certainly will complicate things. Having recently been through that work visa process, it was seriously awful.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »
wow really! It'll be interesting to see the long term effects of that with the next generation of the workforce. I hope the UK will still be able to attract top talent.  I always thought that London would remain as a financial hub, but this certainly will complicate things. Having recently been through that work visa process, it was seriously awful.

Actually, it sounds like it's going to be a bit easier now, they have reduced the minimum wage requirement to £25,600 and lower than that for shortage occupations.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »

They are to shut the immigration door to those using EU rules to get to the UK.
https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-says-he-will-stop-immigrants-treating-uk-as-their-own-2019-12?op=1&r=US&IR=T

Many countries have been watiing for these new visas as their citizens can now come to the UK too if they are lower skilled.
EEA citizens will be able to apply for these visas  but they will be under UK rules where all immigrants are treated the same, e.g. no public funds for at least 5 years, must pay for a visa and meet the requirements for a visa, pay the Immigration Health Surcharge to use the NHS without being billed etc.

It also seems the UK will be stopping what has been the subject of debates before, those who use the EU routes to UK, set up their own business/self employed, avoid paying taxes but still want to use the NHS, schools etc.
There are already visas for those who want to start their own business.
https://www.gov.uk/innovator-visa
https://www.gov.uk/start-up-visa

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:59:26 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
Actually, it sounds like it's going to be a bit easier now, they have reduced the minimum wage requirement to £25,600 and lower than that for shortage occupations.

It's minimum wage or whatever is on their CoS (whichever is the higher) and the shortage occupation already doesn't have a minimum wage requirement.

The UK was meant to have a Tier 3 low skilled visa, but never used it because of all those using the EU routes to the UK. This seems to be the replacement low skilled visa when the UK stops the EU's Free Movement to the UK, but will be open to citizens of all countries.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:00:30 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »
Hey Sirius! It's been an age.. how have you been?  :)

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Hey Sirius! It's been an age.. how have you been?  :)

Great thanks. I changed jobs, which means I can't work from home that often anymore.

How are things with you?

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 02:27:15 PM »
Great thanks. I changed jobs, which means I can't work from home that often anymore.

How are things with you?

Very good, thank you! He's a citizen now.  :)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 05:17:04 PM »
I think it sounds worse than it is in the news because they are acting as if this is a brand new way of qualifying for visas, whereas actually we have had a points-based system in place for years.

^ This.

I've seen quite a few articles about how a points-based immigration system in the UK could work and really feel like writing in and pointing out that a points-based system isn't brand new by any stretch.  Seriously, some people are acting like this is the first they've heard of such a thing. 

• Liked: 253
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 06:53:11 PM »
^ This.

I've seen quite a few articles about how a points-based immigration system in the UK could work and really feel like writing in and pointing out that a points-based system isn't brand new by any stretch.  Seriously, some people are acting like this is the first they've heard of such a thing.

I agree. I'm actually a business journalist and had to write about the new PBS rules a couple times now. I've had many discussions with my editors about exactly this, but they're refusing to listen  ::)
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
Very good, thank you! He's a citizen now.  :)

I'm pleased for you both. [smiley=balloon.gif]

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 07:03:47 PM »
You can read more on how this work, on the gov.uk link

"We are ending free movement and will introduce an Immigration Bill to bring in a firm and fair points-based system that will attract the high-skilled workers we need to contribute to our economy, our communities and our public services. We intend to create a high wage, high-skill, high productivity economy.

We will deliver a system that works in the interests of the whole of the UK and prioritises the skills a person has to offer, not where they come from."

"The scheme will be implemented from January 2021."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement/the-uks-points-based-immigration-system-policy-statement
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:19:27 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 07:09:14 PM »
^ This.

And the UK already has point based tier visas, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 and Tier 5.

For those moving to the UK with their spouse who is a BC but who has been at home with the children, this might make it easier for the non BC to get a visa to the UK.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:17:57 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab