Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling on second passport  (Read 1325 times)

• Liked: 2
Travelling on second passport
« on: March 03, 2020, 06:23:52 PM »
Hello all,

So, I've seen that there is advice not to do this, but I wanted to confirm with you all:

I am in the midst of an application for a fiancé family settlement visa; I've paid for priority, all the documents have been uploaded, they have my primary passport, I've received the ECO email. I'm just waiting.

I have a second US passport, and have to be in London towards the end of this month. I would enter—and leave—via Eurostar, with a return ticket. I have C (visitor) stay eligibility remaining to cover my trip. I can't reschedule these meetings again, and am not sure what to do.

Can I/should I take the train up, to attend some needed meetings, and then leave again, or would doing so actually imperil my visa application?

I appreciate any advice you have, even if it's not what I want to hear…
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:30:32 PM by rahul »

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
Re: Travelling on second passport
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 07:33:53 PM »
I think people have travelled internationally during the visa process and gotten away with it, but the official UKVI guidance says that you must not travel while your visa decision is pending.

The process is changing and you now retain your passport for some applications (i.e. - FLRM), so new guidance may be on the horizon. But I still think that, officially, you are not meant to travel and it has the potential to result in a refusal/withdrawal of your application. There are no refunds and you would have to apply again if you got "caught."

Also, you must declare your travel history on visa applications. The trip you mention would not be listed, so that could present issues of false information on your application which is grounds for refusal (in theory). When is your biometrics appointment? Not sure this will make a difference, but just curious.

I'm not familiar with "C (visitor) stay eligibility," so I might be wrong here. I'm also not sure how having two passports effects applications. I'd just be careful about taking chances during your visa process. On the bright side, maybe priority processing will end up working out in time for you?
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »
Entering the UK on a second passport could/should cancel the fiance visa as you've submitted a subsequent clearance for entry. 

I assume you are well aware that no work, paid or unpaid, including volunteer work is allowed on a fiance visa.  So you can't do both anyway.  You can either be a fiance or a worker... you can't be both.  The full fiance visa period you cannot work, study, volunteer, or use the NHS without paying at the point of service.  Just don't want you caught out later on. 

The second passport can be used for travel anywhere in the world during the application process.  Just not the UK.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:00:34 PM »
And considering that absolute panic and hysteria over this virus in the UK, I can't imagine the conference is even going ahead?  People are seriously over reacting but that's a whole other thread.  ;)

• Liked: 387
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 08:46:57 PM »
I wouldn't risk it unless it was absolutely critical you attended those meetings.

Some people have reported anecdotally that they've entered the UK with a second passport while a UK visa application was in progress (without adversely  affecting the application), but those experiences are not the norm.  If you want to take the chance, go into it being fully prepared of any potential outcome (good or bad).  There is a very real possibility that your UK visa application will be cancelled upon your entry as a visitor.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »
Some people have reported anecdotally that they've entered the UK with a second passport while a UK visa application was in progress (without adversely  affecting the application), but those experiences are not the norm.

Thanks, I appreciate the warning. Have there been a lot of reports of people risking it and having their applications withdrawn?

I ask only because it's not clear to me that HMG can connect me-with-primary-passport with me-with-secondary-passport. They could (name and bday are the same) but also might not (passport number is different).

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:53:37 AM »
I think people have travelled internationally during the visa process and gotten away with it, but the official UKVI guidance says that you must not travel while your visa decision is pending.

I think that applies to applications from within the UK; I'm applying from the US (while staying in France).

Also, you must declare your travel history on visa applications. The trip you mention would not be listed, so that could present issues of false information on your application which is grounds for refusal (in theory). When is your biometrics appointment? Not sure this will make a difference, but just curious.

I listed it up to the application date; it's impossible to add new documents to my application, or amend it (right?) so I can't update it for any of the travel I'm currently doing.

I've already done my biometrics submission; I believe only after that are you able to submit your passport for applications from outside the UK (no?)

I'm not familiar with "C (visitor) stay eligibility," so I might be wrong here. I'm also not sure how having two passports effects applications. I'd just be careful about taking chances during your visa process. On the bright side, maybe priority processing will end up working out in time for you?

Fingers crossed!! A "C" visa is the visa-free visitor entry clearance we (Americans) get in the UK; we're allowed to stay 180 days in a rolling 365 day period. I'll be under that cap if I make this trip.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:01:13 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the warning. Have there been a lot of reports of people risking it and having their applications withdrawn?

I ask only because it's not clear to me that HMG can connect me-with-primary-passport with me-with-secondary-passport. They could (name and bday are the same) but also might not (passport number is different).

It's not a good idea to get into the mindset where you are trying to hide information from UKVI. Full transparency is the way to go.

I think that applies to applications from within the UK; I'm applying from the US (while staying in France).

Are you applying from the US or France, you can't do both. To apply from France, you would need to be legally resident there, not visiting.

.Fingers crossed!! A "C" visa is the visa-free visitor entry clearance we (Americans) get in the UK; we're allowed to stay 180 days in a rolling 365 day period. I'll be under that cap if I make this trip.

That's not how it works. Every single admission is discretionary.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »
It's not a good idea to get into the mindset where you are trying to hide information from UKVI. Full transparency is the way to go.

Of course; I'm just trying to understand that if, in practice, using the second passport to enter the UK will trigger the withdrawal of my application. I'm not trying to circumvent immigration restrictions.

Are you applying from the US or France, you can't do both. To apply from France, you would need to be legally resident there, not visiting.

I'm applying from the US; I just happen to be in France at the moment. When my passport is returned to my US address, someone will overnight it to me here in Paris.

That's not how it works. Every single admission is discretionary.

Of course; I only meant that without a visa application, we can generally visit the UK for up to 180 days a year.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »
Of course; I'm just trying to understand that if, in practice, using the second passport to enter the UK will trigger the withdrawal of my application. I'm not trying to circumvent immigration restrictions.

Yes, it should trigger a withdrawal of your application without refund.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
Quote from: Newly Visa'ed! on March 18, 2020, 12:16:26 PM
So, it turns out this isn't the case!

So, as I'd mentioned, I've been staying in Paris while waiting for the visa process to complete. Monday I was warned by an OECD staff member that intraoffice chat was that France would be closing its borders, making it functionally very difficult to leave the country for the UK (as most travel service would cease). I became rather concerned.

I was able to get confirmation from the PPS at UKVI that it is entirely fine for applicants from abroad to enter the UK on a second valid passport while their primary is being held pursuant to a settlement visa application, so long as they abide by the terms and conditions of their visitor visa (or visa-free travel) linked with that second passport.

I travelled later that day up to London, am here now, and just received confirmation that my visa has been approved! (Which suggests the application was not withdrawn or voided) My primary passport has been shipped, and is en route to me!

I'm not sure for how many people this is relevant information, but I can confirm that the 2nd/3rd most senior civil servant at UKVI believes that travel into the UK for overseas applicants for settlement visas is perfectly fine so long as they travel within the parameters of a valid visitor visa (or visa-free equivalent).

Cheers!

Thank you for the update and congratulations on the visa success.

This is a really unorthodox situation. Normally the visa is activated when the holder enters the country, it's important to keep evidence of travel on that day as UKVI do not always agree to stamp the vignette any more. They say it's not necessary but I don't trust them.

I don't know how it's going to work in your case. You are in the UK on a visitor's visa and you have a passport with a spouse visa coming to you but you can't hold both at once...

Did whomever is forwarding your passport to you tell you what entry dates you were given?

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »
To save me typing everything twice, see my answer in your other thread:
https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=97832.new#new

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 01:20:49 PM »
All these mentions of C and D visas have been bothering me because we talk visas here all day long, every single day and I'd not heard of them.

So I googled and it turns out that C and D visas pertain to the Schengen Area of which the UK is not part.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
All these mentions of C and D visas have been bothering me because we talk visas here all day long, every single day and I'd not heard of them.

So I googled and it turns out that C and D visas pertain to the Schengen Area of which the UK is not part.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/

I think there may also be some confusion because the new endorsement on settlement visas is along the lines of:
D-PARTNER (STANDARD)
(where I think D means Dependant)

whereas in the past it would have been
Spouse/CP

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »
I'm glad you got through but it's really irresponsible to tell others that this is fine. 

UKVI specifically say that entering under a visitor visa invalidates the spouse visa.  You may be fine for the next 5 years.  You may not.  Best of luck to you. At anytime they can declare your spouse visa invalid based on the visitor visa application.  I would not recommend others have that cloud hanging over their head for the next 5 years.

Straight from the government's mouth:  https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/travelling_on_2nd_passport_while

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab