Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID19 - How it's affecting you  (Read 40819 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: COVID19 - How it's affecting you
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
I'm having difficulty processing this whole situation, it doesn't feel real.  And I hate that it's all only just ramping up.

I really wish we could go back to the good old days of just arguing about Brexit!  ::)
Seconding this.

All i can say is just that i am so sorry, everyone, for what you're dealing with. It's sh*t. My only impact (at the moment) is that my parents likely won't be able to visit here in May, as planned, and my nephew was due surgery in July that may be postponed...and who knows if christmas in the US is still on the table! Nothing major though for me, thankfully, but reallu feeling for all of you :(

I do hate how far the distance is to my family during this as something may happen and i won't be able to be there to help..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
All British Citizens Entitled to claim £100 pound a day to stay at home
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 05:06:26 PM »
Good News!  It looks like the UK government is going to do something similar to Italy suspending mortgage repayments:

All British Citizens Entitled to claim £100 pound a day to stay at home to avoid spread of COVID-19 novel Coronavirus starting from March 17, 2020. The Government grant pay is accessible to all no matter employment status. Read full article here on how to claim:
https://bit.ly/38PloiN

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 06:19:06 PM »
KFDancer, what a dick employer. 
Jimbo, I'm very sorry for your loss.
lorenausuk, oh no  :\\\'( :\\\'(

This sucks all around. My mental health is tanking, but I'm gainfully employed working from home. I've cancelled band practises for a while and I'm sure I'm gonna get flack for it.  I had asked them yesterday if they wanted to rehearse still, and they all wanted to (bar one other person!), but I just made the executive decision to cancel it for a while. We have high risk health folks and elderly folks and I would hate to have anyone get covid19 at practise.  I don't want this on my conscious.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »

This sucks all around. My mental health is tanking, but I'm gainfully employed working from home. I've cancelled band practises for a while and I'm sure I'm gonna get flack for it.  I had asked them yesterday if they wanted to rehearse still, and they all wanted to (bar one other person!), but I just made the executive decision to cancel it for a while. We have high risk health folks and elderly folks and I would hate to have anyone get covid19 at practise.  I don't want this on my conscious.
  I think you did the right thing.  Better to err on the side of caution. 

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 06:44:48 PM »
Thanks! My decision was confirmed when the place we rehearse has cancelled all lets for the foreseeable future
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
I'm on the brink of of changing jobs. My current employer is watching the situation, but we are still expected to come into work for now unless you can work from home (I am not a member of staff that can work from home but 90% of other employees can, which is a drag). My current employer has awesome benefits and would fully pay me if ill or needing to care for someone. This is such a sucker punch since I'm leaving... So, last day with current employer is this Friday and first day with new employer is meant to be next Wednesday. New employer is a secondary school, so I imagine they will delay my start date and I will be without income for that time. Really bracing for a financial hit. I'm due to pay my car off to the tune of £4,100 in September 2020. I have that amount saved now, but it's scary not knowing how long this could go on.

My step-daughters (10 and 12) are still in their schools, but the youngest now has a cough (no one else in the family has any symptoms). Considering today's advice, we will probably have to isolate the household. I expect to have this discussion with my partner tonight. Man...

Oh, yeah... and the shops are total warzones where we are in South Yorkshire.
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 07:03:58 PM »
I'm on the brink of of changing jobs. My current employer is watching the situation, but we are still expected to come into work for now unless you can work from home (I am not a member of staff that can work from home but 90% of other employees can, which is a drag). My current employer has awesome benefits and would fully pay me if ill or needing to care for someone. This is such a sucker punch since I'm leaving... So, last day with current employer is this Friday and first day with new employer is meant to be next Wednesday. New employer is a secondary school, so I imagine they will delay my start date and I will be without income for that time. Really bracing for a financial hit. I'm due to pay my car off to the tune of £4,100 in September 2020. I have that amount saved now, but it's scary not knowing how long this could go on.

My step-daughters (10 and 12) are still in their schools, but the youngest now has a cough (no one else in the family has any symptoms). Considering today's advice, we will probably have to isolate the household. I expect to have this discussion with my partner tonight. Man...

Oh, yeah... and the shops are total warzones where we are in South Yorkshire.

Hugs!  It’s awful.  I know employers are rescinding offers, I truly hope your new employer does not.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »

You absolutely did the right thing.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 08:33:49 PM »

I’m so scared for the economy and mental health.  I seriously expect we will see more deaths attributed to suicide than we will from the virus.  This is going to touch every single person in the world in *many* ways.  Not just physical health.  That’s what scares me the most.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 08:47:45 PM »
My mom and my brother were due to fly over here on March 31st (my mom's birthday and a couple days after my brother's birthday) so that they were here to celebrate my 30th birthday.  We got my brother Hamilton tickets for Christmas.  My dad was flying over on April 8th and we were going to Winchester, Southampton and the Isle of Wight.  While here, we were celebrating my Dad's 60th birthday. 

We cancelled everything last night.  They're in lock down in Ohio.  I am officially cancelling my birthday, I'll turn 30 next year instead.

I am devastated because this is the first time since I moved here that I don't know when I will see my family again.  We are supposed to fly back for my friend's wedding in July and again for Christmas but who knows what will happen now.   :-\\\\

On a more worrying note, I work for a library run by the council.  We had 500 people in today.  The council has not provided us with any hand sanitizer, wipes, or cleaning products other than hand soap and water.  I had to bring my own wipes in on Saturday because the library is only cleaned 5 of the 6 days we are open and, thus, hadn't been cleaned on Friday night.  Obviously we can't work from home so I don't know what happens if we close for a few weeks.  We had all our normal groups in today and the crochet group actually complained when we told them that we wouldn't make any teas or coffees with the communal cups.  Apparently that's outrageous.  In a slightly more understandable disappointment, you have never seen tragedy as when I informed the two-year-olds that we won't be bringing out the instruments and toys for the rhyme time session.

Sending all the best wishes to everyone and extra elbow bumps to those whose lives are being turned upside down by this epidemic.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 672
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 09:25:07 PM »
I've been looking everywhere for Paracetamol. I have a condition that  has me using other things, as they are less damaging to me, and the Daughter took so much of it as a toddler that she doesn't really even respond much to it now. So we just never kept it in the house. BUT, I've read that the NSAIDs cause problems with the virus. I've got a medicine box full of naproxin and aspirin, and thought I'd be fine. But no, now I need paracetamol in case one of us gets sick and cannot find it anywhere. Sold out. Back ordered. Etc., etc.

I went to place an order for groceries online tonight on Tesco. While I was watching and trying to book a slot, availability changed from late next Thursday (as in a week from this Thursday) to the following Sunday afternoon. Yoiks. Ok, so I got an order in and was able to get kiddie Paracetamol liquid, which will serve in a pinch. Two was the allowed purchase, so I'll have two. Assuming they actually are delivered a week from Sunday.

Tried Morrisons online shop, they said they could send actual Paracetamol. Placed an order there for the weekly shop. It could not be delivered until a week from this Friday.  So, between now and the middle of next week I am in search of Paracetamol. If I find it, I can cancel the Morrison's order. Which is likely to arrive without it anyway. I'll still have the Tesco order as a backup. Which may or may not arrive with the kiddie version.

Anybody have a spare box of Paracetamol, or seen it in stock in Glasgow west? I've checked all the online stocks - Boots shows to be completely sold out. I can stop by daily and check, I guess - it'd give me somewhere to walk everyday. Although I'm not supposed to be going out. Superdrug's system says they have it down in City Center, but their website has a nasty habit of being wrong and I'd have to get on the bus. Which I may do - the Daughter is having a fit, saying I should not do that. But if I'm careful I might be able to make a quick raid down and back.  I really don't want to not have anything safe to give her for the fever.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 09:29:41 PM »
You can also look for things with paracetamol in them such as Lemsip, providing you are ok with the rest of the ingredients.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
Nan, if you brave going into a shop they have them behind the pharmacy counters due to the panic buying. Or you could ask your neighbours? In our town there are quite a few posts on next door offering shopping help for those that need to self isolate.

I'm still in shock that the hospital was completely business as usual. No forced or recommended hand sanitising, a full on bake sale in the hallway complete with samples exposed to the air, and follow ups scheduled as usual. I wore my mask the entire time I was there, sanitised hands when I checked in and when I got back to my car, wiped everything with hard surfaces with alcohol when I got home, changed and showered. Then ordered all my prescriptions so that hopefully I can self treat anything that comes up. Having to take an asthma med that makes me a bit insane mental health wise, but I can't take steroids yet due to them weakening your immune system more.

I'm sorry for your loss Jim. Last year an extended family member who was perfectly healthy was killed very quickly by the flu. I wish people took it more seriously, and my only hope is that all the changes being implemented for this virus will continue in the future so sick employees can stay home.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 09:59:24 PM »
Nan, if you brave going into a shop they have them behind the pharmacy counters due to the panic buying. Or you could ask your neighbours? In our town there are quite a few posts on next door offering shopping help for those that need to self isolate.

I'm still in shock that the hospital was completely business as usual. No forced or recommended hand sanitising, a full on bake sale in the hallway complete with samples exposed to the air, and follow ups scheduled as usual. I wore my mask the entire time I was there, sanitised hands when I checked in and when I got back to my car, wiped everything with hard surfaces with alcohol when I got home, changed and showered. Then ordered all my prescriptions so that hopefully I can self treat anything that comes up. Having to take an asthma med that makes me a bit insane mental health wise, but I can't take steroids yet due to them weakening your immune system more.

I'm sorry for your loss Jim. Last year an extended family member who was perfectly healthy was killed very quickly by the flu. I wish people took it more seriously, and my only hope is that all the changes being implemented for this virus will continue in the future so sick employees can stay home.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I will go to the shops again in the morning then. Lemsip and check behind the counter, got it. One more dash. I'll do it before the Daughter gets up, or she'll want to come with me. There are like four places I know of within walking distance that I can try.  I'm not convinced the advice about not taking NSAIDs is accurate, but I want to be ready in case. The Daughter has absolute hell when she gets a fever from anything "normal".

Our upstairs neighbor seems to be quite ill. Our across the hall neighbor seems to have taken their very young children and absconded elsewhere. (Probably to grandmas or...?)  Our downstairs neighbor is quite elderly and seems to have been collected by her daughter, this evening. Have not met the rest of the building. I was really happy to see downstairs neighbor and her suitcase getting in her daughter's car, as we were coming home today.  That's good.

A Bake Sale?????? Oh, dear god.

Yeah on Steroids. I do not want to have to ever take steroids again. Swelled up like a balloon, felt like hell. Of course, dying was the other option, so I took them. But damn, they are evil to your body in a way all their own.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 10:47:59 PM »
I popped into the larger Co-op in the town in which I work and they still had some paracetamol and other medicines.  Have you checked at the corner ships rather than the pharmacies, Nan?  They get deliveries every day so might have better luck.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab