Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID19 - How it's affecting you  (Read 41257 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: COVID19 - How it's affecting you
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
KFDancer... Does your lawyer work by phone/email? Definitely need one as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound good.  Is everything OK?  I mean other than the coming apocolypse?

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »
I'm on the hit list and will likely be made redundant today.  I hope they are well prepared to wade through this without strategic finance!

Ugh, people.  THIS BLOWS.
  Sorry to hear this, good luck!  At least you'll get some money and can stay home and look after your kids. 

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
I had a video interview today.  The guy started off by saying that he was at home taking care of his son who was sick but everything was all right.  As the interview progressed, he started coughing more and more, and then I noticed that he looked like death warmed over.  He must have been riddled with the virus!    Christ on a bike, what a wake up call.  This is really spreading a lot.  One member of my French family has tested +

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2020, 07:10:02 PM »
I had a video interview today.  The guy started off by saying that he was at home taking care of his son who was sick but everything was all right.  As the interview progressed, he started coughing more and more, and then I noticed that he looked like death warmed over.  He must have been riddled with the virus!    Christ on a bike, what a wake up call.  This is really spreading a lot.  One member of my French family has tested +

My daugter's after school club sent NINE kids home with fevers.  That's a lot!  For a school with less than 150 kids, that's a pretty big percentage.  Of course, could be anything!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2020, 07:45:43 PM »
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/302284

Implement basic income and housing security. I'm going to be writing to my MP and ask they consider waiving visa income requirements as well given the number of people suddenly unemployed.

I know it's not much help at the momebt based on the topics being covered it seems, but HO has set up a hotline regarding corona virus. Might be worth giving them a call?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-immigration-guidance-if-youre-unable-to-return-to-china-from-the-uk

Also, if there's anything i can keep an eye out for you with when i do my next shop, please do let me know.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »
I think they need to make a public policy and not increase the IHS fees, so I'm glad I wrote. I think we will still be OK, but it will impact many in an already stressful time.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:20 PM »
I work for the civil service now. Someone in my office tested positive. They have NOT implemented a 'work from home' blanket policy, despite not being public facing. We could easily work from home, and some people walked out even before they told us about the positive test.

I'm expecting to be told to work from home after tomorrow, once they remove their heads from their rear ends.

I'm expecting this to last for a few months (maybe on and off?) at least. So need to get a few bits and bobs to set up some sort of makeshift home working area. Second monitor, desk, mouse, chair etc..

And my parents obviously aren't coming in April anymore. Despite the fact that my dad (who is 79) hasn't been to my house (we bought it over 4 years ago) and has only met my one year old daughter once. Bummed...

And I've got a cold that I got either from my daughter's nursery or my husband (who have both been a tad unwell over the last couple of weeks). Pretty sure it's not coronavirus as I don't have a fever or cough. Just a slightly sore throat and a little congestion...

But this too shall pass. I hope!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 6110

• Liked: 718
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2020, 10:28:23 AM »
They just said 20% of our office is being made redundant in addition to people being asked to take voluntary time off, after they just laid off huge swathes of teams through outsourcing just before the pandemic hit. Why aren't they just doing that for everyone so we still have jobs when the recovery happens? Angry doesn't begin to describe how I'm feeling right now. The government needs to step up now to protect workers. And being immigrants we are just screwed because its not like we qualify for any benefits.

And, ocado is under such demand you can't place new orders and can't edit existing ones without waiting 2+ hours, so I guess I will have to keep exposing myself to risk by sending my husband grocery shopping. I accidentally refreshed the page after waiting for an hour and ended up 4000 places behind where I started in the morning. And this is while paying for their delivery membership.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
Margo - let me know specifics and i can keep an eye out for what you need and grab it if you need me to. Obviously there is still a risk being i'd have to drop it off to you but probably a lot lower than having your husband exposed. Happy to help out with what i can, just let me know.

The laying off of so many people is infuriating as - you're right...they'll just end up needing all those people back.

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2020, 11:12:38 AM »
Margo - let me know specifics and i can keep an eye out for what you need and grab it if you need me to. Obviously there is still a risk being i'd have to drop it off to you but probably a lot lower than having your husband exposed. Happy to help out with what i can, just let me know.

The laying off of so many people is infuriating as - you're right...they'll just end up needing all those people back.

It's mainly meat and potatoes I'm worried about, since I can't survive on pulses. Those have been out of stock and now they are limiting how much can be purchased, so we can't even get more than a few days worth if they did have any. Sending him over again today.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
I'm still waiting to see what my work arrangements will be over the next coming months.  I have multiple diseases (involving deranged immune responses) and am currently taking an immunosuppressant to keep symptoms under control.  At the moment I'm still going into work as I'm classed as essential personnel in the health service and am currently not exhibiting any symptoms related to respiratory ailments.  I'm perfectly fine to do so as I want to continue providing care to patients, but wish that other people were staying home themselves.  I've been commuting back and forth and seeing people out and about who really shouldn't be.  There's a difference between going out because you have to, and going out to play football and socialize. 

My mom State-side was diagnosed with cancer about a month ago.  She has had multiple surgeries, and is starting chemo imminently.  I was going to fly home and help her out a bit when she started treatment, but now I can't do that.  One - for her health.  Two - for my health.  Three - because I don't think I could actually get there with all the travel bans and cancelled flights everywhere.  But mostly for her health.  I don't want to inadvertently bring over any little lipid-enveloped friends to her when she's just about to start chemo.  Both of us are in agreement, and there aren't any hard feelings about me staying here, but it still sucks.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
I've been commuting back and forth and seeing people out and about who really shouldn't be.  There's a difference between going out because you have to, and going out to play football and socialize. 

This. So much this. People need to be put on lockdowns for the good of the whole. They just don't get it. 

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Hard to not be there during this time period.

We keep making sure my Mom, who is 70 and has serious COPD,  is staying inside and away from folks. My Dad keeps going to work, but he works in a tiny company and has a huge office to himself.  (This still worries me) My Mom is luckily staying inside, thank goodness, and actually being serious about it, unlike other boomers and older folks.  (Read this article this morning and it's soooooooooooooooooooo true)

My sister had to tell her 17 year old son that he has to stay with his Dad now, because he's absolutely not listening at all and keeps going to his friends houses because school is off and he thinks he can do whatever he wants, that that he's not allowed back at hers now. And his Dad will just let him do whatever he wants, so she laid the law down.   Maybe harsh, but she's needed to stay healthy to look after other 4 kids at home, plus to help my Mom and to help my older sister who is immunocompromised.   

I also saw in Florida, folks were crammed onto the beaches still. 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
I had hoped that people would behave like responsible adults, but apparently not so much.  :(

I've been seeing many younger people still going on with their lives as if nothing has changed with the mentality that since they are young, even if they do become infected, they'll still survive.  I want to tell them that social distancing isn't just about them getting (or not getting) the disease.  It's about everyone around them as well.  Someone with an elderly grandparent.  Someone with a sister with Crohn's.  Someone with an undiagnosed heart condition.  Someone who works in a care home.  Someone who works in an intensive care unit.  And if all that doesn't provide enough motivation - for their own health.  You can get a disease and survive - but end up disabled by the end of it.  Do yourself a favor and stay home.  (grr)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab