Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID19 - How it's affecting you  (Read 41296 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: COVID19 - How it's affecting you
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »
So sorry for all of you who are being affected by this virus.   :(

So far, I've not really been affected.  It's only at work things are different...Out of 40 people, they have moved 8 to an empty office in Glasgow, gave out 10 laptops for 10 people to work from home, and the rest of us left here in Clydebank have just sort of spaced ourselves out amongst all the desks to ensure there's at least 2 empty desks between you and the next person.  But you know, we are all still sharing the same toilets, the same kitchenette, the same door handles, the same printer/copiers, so it's not ideal.

Nan, I'm sure I've got a packet of paracetemol in the house... I'd be happy to post it to you.  Or I could drop it off-- put it through your mail slot or whatever?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 08:27:02 AM »
https://chronicallyawesome.org.uk/posters-for-those-who-are-self-isolating-as-a-preventative-measure/

For anyone avoiding humans, these signs might be helpful. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 08:49:27 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss Jim.
  Thanks Margo

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 08:51:30 AM »
That's crazy at your hospital margo.   A bake sale?!?!!

How is your foot feeling?
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
Thinking our offices are going to shut and we'll be working from home. Waiting for formal updates but manager is suggesting we prepare.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 09:24:34 AM »
I'm on the hit list and will likely be made redundant today.  I hope they are well prepared to wade through this without strategic finance!

Ugh, people.  THIS BLOWS.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 09:26:20 AM »
Oh that totally blows. Totally  blows. I'm sorry KFDancer.  (But maybe redundancy pay is better than a 40% paycut?)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 09:32:43 AM »
Being retired means we are not nearly as impacted as many might be.  We are currently in Edinburgh still, looking after my wife’s sister who had open heart surgery last week in February. We plan on cutting her loose this weekend and driving back to Yorkshire on Sunday.  We bought some supplies of canned food, rice and pasta etc to take back with us and don’t know how difficult it is going to be shopping once home. We have a small group of shops close by we usually walk to that includes a Sainsburys Local and our regular butcher. I can see us eating a lot more meat pies and meat if he stays open. We will contact our milkman later this week to tell him to resume our milk deliveries on Monday and also order some eggs assuming he can still get them.

We have close friends living nearby who are in their late 70s and have plenty of health problems. They are currently very isolated in their static caravan in the Lake District but are driving home Wednesday. I have offered to run errands, do shopping for them, pick up prescriptions etc once we are back. They said they have managed to get a delivery slot with Tescos so that is promising.

Best wishes to everyone here.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 09:33:18 AM »
That's crazy at your hospital margo.   A bake sale?!?!!

How is your foot feeling?
It's broken and all they did was give me a hard soled shoe, with straps that sit right over the break and is horribly painful. So I ordered a small boot from Amazon that should help and be more comfortable. Wishing I'd done that when I first injured it if this was all the NHS in my area would do. Friends with comparable injuries elsewhere got much better care. The NHS makes me miss home quite a bit because it only takes one bad doctor to completely derail your care.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:57 AM »
I'm really sorry. It sounds like your NHS board is utter crap. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 02:50:26 PM »
Being retired means we are not nearly as impacted as many might be.  We are currently in Edinburgh still, looking after my wife’s sister who had open heart surgery last week in February. We plan on cutting her loose this weekend and driving back to Yorkshire on Sunday.  We bought some supplies of canned food, rice and pasta etc to take back with us and don’t know how difficult it is going to be shopping once home. We have a small group of shops close by we usually walk to that includes a Sainsburys Local and our regular butcher. I can see us eating a lot more meat pies and meat if he stays open. We will contact our milkman later this week to tell him to resume our milk deliveries on Monday and also order some eggs assuming he can still get them.

We have close friends living nearby who are in their late 70s and have plenty of health problems. They are currently very isolated in their static caravan in the Lake District but are driving home Wednesday. I have offered to run errands, do shopping for them, pick up prescriptions etc once we are back. They said they have managed to get a delivery slot with Tescos so that is promising.

Best wishes to everyone here.
I was waiting in for the fence guy to get back to work...he didn't show. He works full time for the railroad, so who knows if he got called in to work. Sooo….my wife got to go to Asda by herself this morning. She came back fuming. I kind of figured the hoarding would be backing off a little by now....nope....worse. My wife picked up 4 packs of oat cookies for me (that only lasts me a week or a little over, I'm a muncher). Huge lines, car park packed. When she finally got towards the till another lady noticed the 4 packs of cookies (they are NOT big packs, Grandma Wilder?) and accused my wife of hoarding. My wife was shopping for both us and her father and had maybe half a cart of stuff. This lady had a cart overflowing. My wife doesn't like to fight with idiots (unlike me) but even she looked from the lady to her cart...and then back again and said "really?" The lady kind of sputtered and said she was shopping for more than just her. I'd have given the lady hell for acting like that. It was pretty obvious my wife was only buying what she needed. Evidently even at 10am this morning.....no pasta on shelves etc. It's a crazy world...….and people are getting nasty.
Fred

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »
I'm glad our local butcher is going to be doing deliveries, but I wonder how quickly that will sell out too. My biggest concern is running out of meat and eggs because I literally can't digest vegetarian protein sources. I'll be OK as long as I get one real serving a day, I do have protein powders I sort of tolerate. All online deliveries are booked out forever, and many are just not including products because they sold out. The staples I always bulk buy because its affordable, but I get ill from canned meat products too (they are high histamine), and since our freezer is so small we've never stocked much in the way of frozen meat. Just salmon and GF breaded fish. Living on an island with food challenges is making me very nervous.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 03:23:29 PM »
So sorry, KFdancer.  I hope everything works out for you. 
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 04:15:47 PM »
KFDancer... Does your lawyer work by phone/email? Definitely need one as well.

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/302284

Implement basic income and housing security. I'm going to be writing to my MP and ask they consider waiving visa income requirements as well given the number of people suddenly unemployed.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab