Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stimulus question  (Read 2725 times)

• Liked: 18
Stimulus question
« on: October 20, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

I mailed my tax return off in June so the IRS should have received them before the July deadline. (Turbotax online says the IRS has received them but I’m not too sure if that’s accurate?)

I’m still waiting on my stimulus check to come through.

I’ve gone to Track My Payment, but the page said Payment Status Not Available.

Are any other folks having the same issue?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 716
Re: Stimulus question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
Has the IRS received your return? Did they take your payment or have they issued a refund?

Where's my refund?
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
Turbotax (my tax preparer?) says they have received my tax return. I’m not due a refund nor did I owe any money.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 02:57:36 PM »
Turbotax (my tax preparer?) says they have received my tax return. I’m not due a refund nor did I owe any money.

I was suggesting an alternative to a 3rd party telling you that your return has been received. I expect that if you complete the "Where is my Refund" questionnaire then the answer will either be "You are not entitled to a refund" or "Your return has not been processed".

I once sent in a tracked paper return (pre all this online stuff) which was received and signed for, but I didn't receive a refund and when I inquired discovered that it had not been processed and they couldn't find it so asked me to re-send it to them.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »
That’s concerning!

It’s not a refund I’m seeking though per say. It’s the $1,200 stimulus check.

Here’s what turbotax say, but I cannot find any info from the IRS stating they’ve received my tax return or whether they acknowledge that I’m due a stimulus check. Does that make sense?

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
How very frustrating! TurboTax is not telling you that the IRS has received and is processing your return. (“It looks like...”)

I think I would now be trying to contact the IRS directly.

https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
Thanks for that.

Curious if other folks are still waiting on their stimulus!  

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 05:01:42 PM »
This is the message I receive when i “track my payment” via IRS website. Just weird how they haven’t processed it since sending it off in June.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »
This is the message I receive when i “track my payment” via IRS website. Just weird how they haven’t processed it since sending it off in June.

Current processing time is 5 months plus. Nothing weird. Presumably you also filed for 2018 so the IRS should have the EIP cheque on the 2018 return?

• Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 06:25:27 PM »
I get the same message as the OP. I filed and they processed my payment so I know they have my return. Maybe if I wait long enough, they can include the promised second round stimulus in the same mailing.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »
Thanks everyone. It is reassuring that it sounds like it boils down to a fairly long backlog as to why I have received nothing of yet, but I will still give them a call as someone has suggested.

My parents listed me as a dependant for tax year 2018 so I would not be eligible for the EIP, but I would not have thought EIP would be given out for that year anyway? I was not listed as a dependent for the most recent tax year (2019 - filed for the first time as Married Filing Separately) so should be eligible for the stimulus check looking at the eligibility criteria (?)

so confusing!!!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »
I am also waiting for the (first) stimulus payment.  I get the same screen as you when I do the Where's My Payment tool.  I phoned the EIP help line about a month ago because I was getting concerned that I'd been overlooked.  They aren't able to give out any specific information about individual cases, and they can't really give out too much information about where they're at with things, but I asked questions as best I could to get the information that I wanted... it comes down to:

• We are definitely not alone.  At the time of my call, there were several million still waiting.
  • If you got the "Payment Status Not Available" response, you've been found in the IRS system, but you haven't been processed for the payment yet. Most people were eligible, so unless there was something weird about your income or you made more than the threshold, yours is coming.
  • The backlog is real.  I asked if there was a target date for all payments to be completed, and she laughed... there had been several already come and gone, and the next one is at the end of October... she didn't expect they'd meet it.
  • If you don't have your stimulus by the time you file your 2020 tax return, you can claim it as a credit then, so worst case, you'll have it in summer 2021.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »
Thanks for your reply Jfkimberly. Good to know the worst case scenario is that we will be able to get cheque next year. I also phoned the IRS and they stated to me (like yourself) that there is an almighty backlog and they couldn’t even confirm if they had my tax returns due to the backlog, but confirmed that I would be eligible with the information I have provided. Will just have to look at it as a savings account :)

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply Jfkimberly. Good to know the worst case scenario is that we will be able to get cheque next year. I also phoned the IRS and they stated to me (like yourself) that there is an almighty backlog and they couldn’t even confirm if they had my tax returns due to the backlog, but confirmed that I would be eligible with the information I have provided. Will just have to look at it as a savings account :)

At least you know it is in the pipeline, just happens be a very long and slow flowing pipeline.

Stimulus 2 will be approved soon, we hope.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/second-stimulus-check-status-update-2020-10-23/

For months now, millions of Americans grappling with the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic have been pinning their hopes on Congress delivering another round of financial relief, including direct cash payments like a second round of $1,200 stimulus checks and an extension of enhanced federal unemployment benefits.

But the door for such assistance — slammed shut by President Donald Trump earlier this month only for him to later nudge it ajar  — remains open, with negotiations reportedly continuing even after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi set a Tuesday deadline on a stimulus package in order to pass a bill before the November 3 election.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 12:52:25 PM »
Jumping on this thread with a related question, what's the easiest way to cash your stimulus check? I did receive mine but my bank is saying I need to open a joint account as the check is in my and my husband's name. Surely there must be an easier way? I'd normally wait until going home to the US but with the pandemic that won't be until the check is invalid so it must be done here.

Sponsored Links