Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship/naturalization application questions  (Read 1107 times)

• Liked: 2
Citizenship/naturalization application questions
« on: January 17, 2022, 12:08:50 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am applying for my citizenship application.

I have a few questions about the application.

1. In the employment section I seem to be only able to let me add one current job. Is it OK if I only share one when I have 2?
In the "other employment" section if I try to add my other current job, it wants an end date and I have no end date, as I am still working there.
Any suggestions on what I should do here?

2. Is a tax reference number for my job the same as PAYE reference number?

3. Should I fill to the special circumstances section? What are special circumstances?

4. In the other details to consider section - anything else I should add to help my case. I am married to a British person and work in academia and industry ad contribute to society in the UK.

Many thanks!

Lori

• Liked: 3595
Re: Citizenship/naturalization application questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 12:32:32 AM »
It’s a really straightforward application with very few requirements, so don’t overthink it.

It’s much, much simpler than any of the visa applications you’ve made.

All they need to check is:
- you are over 18 (your passport)
- you are married to a UK citizen (their passport and your marriage certificate)
- you have ILR (your BRP)
- you have passed the Life in the U.K. test (your test reference number)
- you meet the good character requirement (you have no unspent convictions and you have been paying your taxes)
- you meet the residency requirements (you were in the U.K. 3 years prior to your application date and you have not been outside the U.K. for more than 270 days in the last 3 years, no more than 90 of which were in the last 12 months)

1. In the employment section I seem to be only able to let me add one current job. Is it OK if I only share one when I have 2?
In the "other employment" section if I try to add my other current job, it wants an end date and I have no end date, as I am still working there.
Any suggestions on what I should do here?

I think I would list both jobs - put one in the main employment section and the second in the ‘other employment’ section and then for the end date, just put the current date/date you submit the application. You can always add a cover note to state that you have 2 current jobs and have no end date.

They only ask for your employment details to check that you have been paying your taxes.

2. Is a tax reference number for my job the same as PAYE reference number?

Not sure - as above they just need to check with your tax office to make sure you have been paying taxes via PAYE… so I assume that means whatever tax-related reference number is listed on your payslips.

3. Should I fill to the special circumstances section? What are special circumstances?

No need to fill this out - you can just leave it blank.

4. In the other details to consider section - anything else I should add to help my case. I am married to a British person and work in academia and industry ad contribute to society in the UK.

No, you can just leave this blank as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks so much for everyone's help!

I know this application is easier, but just nervous I am making some mistakes.

A few more questions:

1. For given name Is this just my first and middle name or just my first name. I think I forgot to put my middle name for Life in the UK Test so just want to make sure I did not mess up.
2.For given name of husband and my parents -does this include middle name for husband and Dady Mom and also my mother's maiden Last name?

3. Not sure what I have to do with the references. I printed out the forms and stuck my picture on it and will have my references sign, but where do I send or upload these documents? I this before or after I pay?

4. For tax office reference number I just used Paye reference number because that seemed to be the only relevant number on my payslip.

Thanks in advance so much!!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 06:48:38 PM »
1. For given name Is this just my first and middle name or just my first name. I think I forgot to put my middle name for Life in the UK Test so just want to make sure I did not mess up.

I believe it should be your first and middle names as listed on your passport.

2.For given name of husband and my parents -does this include middle name for husband and Dady Mom and also my mother's maiden Last name?

As above, I believe you give their full names, as listed on their passports.

3. Not sure what I have to do with the references. I printed out the forms and stuck my picture on it and will have my references sign, but where do I send or upload these documents? I this before or after I pay?

As far as I know, you upload all the documents to the UKVCAS website before your biometrics appointment, same as for FLR(M) and ILR applications.

4. For tax office reference number I just used Paye reference number because that seemed to be the only relevant number on my payslip.

Someone else asked this recently - if that's the only number on there, then I think that's the one you use.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »
Thanks again so much for your help!

I don't know what I would do without this forum- all of you have been so helpful through all my visa applications!

One last question- I think!

When they request proof of living in the UK for 3 years am I going to have to gather lots of mail again to prove this when I upload the documents?

Any other documents I have to be prepared to upload? I don't want to pay until I know what I will have to upload so any feedback would be great.

Many thanks,

Lori

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 12:44:19 PM »
Thanks again so much for your help!

I don't know what I would do without this forum- all of you have been so helpful through all my visa applications!

One last question- I think!

When they request proof of living in the UK for 3 years am I going to have to gather lots of mail again to prove this when I upload the documents?

Nope, all you should need to provide is your passport and BRP card.

Any other documents I have to be prepared to upload? I don't want to pay until I know what I will have to upload so any feedback would be great.

There are very few documents required for citizenship - it’s a very easy application.

You should just need to provide:
- your US passport
- your ILR BRP card
- your spouse's UK passport
- your marriage certificate
- your Life in the UK test reference number
- 2 signed referee forms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 10:56:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am just getting ready to submit my citizen application.

I am just nervous about a few things before I submit.  So just a few other questions.

1. Should I submit a cover letter and if so how do I write a cover letter for a citizenship application? Do I have to put any info about my application number or something?

2. I assume I can still travel out of the country while I am waiting for the decision or do I have to wait until they approve and then travel between then and my citizenship ceremony?

I just want to make sure I don't submit when I plan to travel to visit my family in the US during Easter or before, as my mother is not well.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks so much!!

Lori

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 11:08:14 PM »
1. Should I submit a cover letter and if so how do I write a cover letter for a citizenship application? Do I have to put any info about my application number or something?

You don't need a cover letter.

2. I assume I can still travel out of the country while I am waiting for the decision or do I have to wait until they approve and then travel between then and my citizenship ceremony?

In the past, you could travel while you were waiting for your citizenship application to be processed, but I don't know if that has changed or not.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 06:30:56 AM »

Yes, according to a Citizens Advice person I talked to recently about this (and according to their web site https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wales/immigration/applying-for-british-citizenship), you can travel abroad until your citizenship ceremony. It is the period between the ceremony (when you formally become a UK citizen) and your getting the first passport that you can't travel, because UK citizens must carry a UK passport when traveling outside.
My Immigration Timeline:
Spouse visa: Applied online 05-03-2016 / Granted 10-04-2016
Arrival in UK: 01-05-2016
FLR(M): Applied online 11-12-2018 / Granted 08-01-2019 (Super Priority)
SET(M): Applied online 06-07-2021 / Granted 02-08-2021 (Super Priority)
Citizenship: Applied online 24-02-2022 / Approved 22-04-2022 / Granted 18-05-2022
First UK Passport: Applied online 10-06-2022 / Received 15-07-2022

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 11:51:56 AM »
Thanks Ksand24 and  NW transplant!!! This forum has been so helpful!

I will be sure to share with everyone once I have been successful with my application!!

:)

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 07:05:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

Last questions I hope!!

On my citizenship application it asks for Mother's given and family name. Is this my mother's first and maiden name or her first and the last name now on her passport (i.e., the name should took when she got married).  ???

Many thanks!!

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 07:21:15 PM »
I believe you put her current name as listed on her passport.

The paper version of the citizenship form (Form AN) asks for the following:

1.28 Your mother’s full name and maiden name

Which I assume means they want her full current name first, followed by her maiden name.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »
Hi Ksand24,

OK great I will use my Mother's current last name ( shown on her passport) and maybe put maiden name in brackets? Or maybe just clarify in cover letter.

Thanks!

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2022, 07:31:17 PM »
I don't know what the online application looks like, but it may ask for her maiden name after you have entered her current name.

• Liked: 107
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 10:40:34 AM »
It ask for 'Family' name which I presume to be current surname.

I'm doing an application also,
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab