Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 412771 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4425 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
I named one of my mom's chickens 'September Marie'.  Yeah, it's a good thing I never had children!

Pretty sure I read a book recently where the main characters name was September. How to Circumnavigate Fairyland... I think... yep. It is a YA book. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #4426 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
It's 6:45pm CST so it's still Friday:

1. I live in Houston and we're awaiting the arrival of a certain Harvey. Two days ago, he was a tropical depression. Yesterday morning, he was a tropical storm. Last night, he was a Category 1 Hurricane. This afternoon, he upgraded to a Category 3. Thirty minutes ago, he has been upgraded to a Category 4 hurricane. Harvey needs to stop his crap and go home.

2. Said Harvey doesn't hit the Texas coast until midnight on Saturday morning but all school districts are closed. My sixteen-year-old is a high achieving student and she's done all her homework, has done all her reading ahead of schedule, practiced her saxophone before noon. She declared that she was "totally over this hurricane". They're talking about school being closed all of next week. Oh geez.

3. Went to the neighborhood Aldi and realized everyone has kids just as annoying as mine because they ran out of wine! FML!

4. Realized at the second grocery store outside my subdivision had wine but little of anything else. I should have really taken this storm a bit more seriously. But at least I know Viognier and Zinfandel has some water in it.

5. I'm praying that we don't lose electricity. I am okay to lose the food in the fridge but being in a house in Houston without a/c terrifies the hell out of me. People are ugly when they're uncomfortable and I'm the worst. I fear for my family and neighbors. Let's hope for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you are doing Ok after the storm, keep us up to date.  It's big news here.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4427 on: August 27, 2017, 08:27:36 AM »
Hope all okay lorenausuk
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4428 on: August 28, 2017, 02:13:44 AM »
Thank you jimbocz and phatbeetle for your concern. It's Sunday evening and it's still freaking raining!

I've lived in this city 14 years out of 27 and I've never seen rain like this. My ex-husband who has lived here for 27 years has never seen it like this and he lived through the devastating Tropical Storm Allison in 2001.

Everyone in every part of the city is experiencing flooding of some kind. We have a very large reservoirs that are completely full and they're having to release water downstream. It's going to ease a bit of pressure on certain areas but flood others. It's putting me quite on edge. Especially since there isn't anywhere to go really, if things get really bad. We just have to em...go with the flow.

I will say that events like this put your priorities into perspective.

Again, thanks for your concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #4429 on: August 28, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Keep up the positive attitude , I am thinking of you every time I hear the news.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4430 on: August 28, 2017, 04:23:01 PM »
Hang in there lorenausuk. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better and I hope people are safe and secure. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4431 on: September 01, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
1.  Having a hateful day at work so far, and will be glad when it's finished.
2.  Hairdresser tomorrow... the state of my hair just now is not helping the hateful day I am having at work!
3.  Sunday is my birthday, and we are going to the amazing pancake place for lunch.
4.  As Mr Albatross has been out every night this week, he is staying home tonight, and we're going to watch a couple of DVDs...one of which will be Ally McCoist in 'A Shot At Glory'!  ;D
5.  Asda delivery tonight, and they should be bringing lots of those double chocolate coconut Magnums... unless they're out of stock... in which case, I look forward to seeing what the substitute is...

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4432 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
Happy Birthday Weekend Albatross!

1.) Playing in a local jazz festival tonight and tomorrow

2.) Weather actually looks decent this weekend. Wow.  Grass needs cut, potatoes need harvested at allotment  Doing some dividing of perennials as well.   Only have Sunday really to do said things. 

3.) Hoping lorenausuk and family are doing okay

4.) Hungry. Bring on lunchtime.

5.)  Ordering some new brewing equipment which should really help me up my game. Can't wait until I have it in hand!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4433 on: September 01, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
1.  My husband comes home tonight!  (Every time....)

2.  One of his friends put us in touch with a restaurant owner in the city where my husband works who wants some bar shelves built.  We submitted a 3d model and proposal for the project last week.  This week my husband learned that the owner loves our design and is now wanting to discuss additional pieces.  He even suggested he might expand to additional locations in the future and those will need things.  Yay!

3. I had a chat with my mother this week and she seemed to be acting like a mother.  She listened and responded appropriately when I said something, and she was supportive and encouraging.  When I showed her a picture of something my husband and I worked on over the weekend, she even said it looked professional.  This is novel.  :)

4.  It is September, the month of my birth.  Celebrations may commence.

5.   My neighbour has brought me tomatoes from her greenhouse the last two weeks and they are amazing!  Plus, she brings them before I do my weekly shop, so I don't have to buy any.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #4434 on: September 01, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »

3. I had a chat with my mother this week and she seemed to be acting like a mother.  She listened and responded appropriately when I said something, and she was supportive and encouraging.  When I showed her a picture of something my husband and I worked on over the weekend, she even said it looked professional.  This is novel.  :)

Ahhh, she misses you!  :D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #4435 on: September 01, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
Ahhh, she misses you!  :D

It only took being away for five years.  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #4436 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »
It only took being away for five years.  :P

Better late than never!  ;)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4437 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:44 PM »
1.  Almost halfway through our summer holiday (Florida, staying at my parents).

2.  Avoiding soya in the USA is VERY hard

3.  Went to the mall for an hour this morning.  Bumped into three people I knew.  Glad I showered today!   ;)

4.  Ed Sheeran / James Blunt concert was fantastic. 

5.  Baby has decided sleep is for sissies - and he is NOT a sissy!

• Liked: 210
« Reply #4438 on: September 03, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
KFdancer, you say soya now. :D

I wonder how long before I start using more British words and spellings.

I'm a day late, but...

1. Today marks our 6 month wedding anniversary and just under 3 months of being reunited. It's far more difficult than either of us anticipated (living here for real is far different from visiting), but we're trying to make the most of every day.

2. We are staying in truly the worst motel ever for a few days away from kids and kids' dad and all of those demands. Hard to jump from singleton to wife and step parent and puppy parent all at once, not to mention a new country and culture and language. Yes, language!

3. I keep forgetting that bacon and sausages will disappoint me. I miss US bacon and hot dogs.

4. We're in this weird space of too early to plan for FLR (at least anything substantial besides putting money in savings every month) but past the initial rush of settling in paperwork. Every time I get mail, I wonder whether it will "count" as address proof for FLR, but then I figure it will be too old by then, anyway. Still keeping it as we never know what will happen.

5. I'm so glad to be with my wife, at last. Getting the visa was such a mountain of work. It's daunting to realize how much harder it is to figure out how to merge two families into one.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

« Reply #4439 on: September 03, 2017, 10:47:04 AM »

4. We're in this weird space of too early to plan for FLR (at least anything substantial besides putting money in savings every month) but past the initial rush of settling in paperwork. Every time I get mail, I wonder whether it will "count" as address proof for FLR, but then I figure it will be too old by then, anyway. Still keeping it as we never know what will happen.

Keep it. They want mail from throughout the time you've been living together so you need the old stuff too.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab