Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Greetings from a potential citizen/resident  (Read 7731 times)

Greetings from a potential citizen/resident
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
Hello all,

My name is Gordon and I am considering moving to the UK.

in a nutshell, I am 56 years old, retired, and in the middle of a very painful divorce.  I am looking to make a large scale change in my life once this is all over with, and want to start a completely new life, away from her chaos.

Both of my parents were British Citizens, but I had never previously thought about claiming British Citizenship or getting a UK Passport until recently.  I have ordered copies of my father's birth certificate and their marriage license as a first step, in case I actually decide to follow through with this.

But I also do not want to make a life changing mistake, and just sell everything and move without an idea that things will somewhat work out.

All suggestions & comments are welcomed, and your real experiences in anything similar are appreciated.

• Liked: 4990
Re: Greetings from a potential citizen/resident
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:17:43 PM »
Welcome!

What is it about the UK that you are drawn to?

Starting over in a new country is hard.  Don’t under estimate the magnitude of the change!  Have you spent any significant periods of time in the UK?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
Welcome!

What is it about the UK that you are drawn to?

Starting over in a new country is hard.  Don’t under estimate the magnitude of the change!  Have you spent any significant periods of time in the UK?

been there many times while I was growing up. but it has been many years since I have been back.

I am kinda looking for some challenges and difficulties, as a way of moving on.  I know it's a big change, and was wondering if anyone here has done something similar.

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
Hi Gordon!  :)

Don't sell your house. Honestly I wouldn't even sell the car. Leave the door wide open for you to return and it'll make the process much easier on you.

Once the dust settles and you are quite sure that the UK is for you, then go back and take care of business.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
Hi Gordon!  :)

Don't sell your house. Honestly I wouldn't even sell the car. Leave the door wide open for you to return and it'll make the process much easier on you.

Once the dust settles and you are quite sure that the UK is for you, then go back and take care of business.

The house is already sold per our separation, so all I have is a truck and some clothes to my name.  there are a bunch of guns, but they are all going to her and the kids anyway, so I essentially have nothing besides my dog. 

like really nothing besides my dog.

I spent 30+ years trying to take care of everyone else.  Now that it has all fallen apart, I just want a quiet undisturbed life, with no more responsibility other than the two of us.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:46:08 PM »
How do you envision your retirement?

In the UK, detached houses (single family homes) are “luxury” housing and much more expensive than terraced housing (attached to others like a townhome).  Depending on where you live of course, you may find retirement here isn’t a quiet simple lifestyle as we tend to be crammed in like sardines.  Needless to say, this may appeal.

Would you want to work?  What kinds of things do you enjoy doing in your free fine?  What will make YOU happy?

I get that you want to burn any evidence of your past life.  But what does the new life look like?  Besides being fat fat away from the ex-wife and kids?

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
How do you envision your retirement?

In the UK, detached houses (single family homes) are “luxury” housing and much more expensive than terraced housing (attached to others like a townhome).  Depending on where you live of course, you may find retirement here isn’t a quiet simple lifestyle as we tend to be crammed in like sardines.  Needless to say, this may appeal.

Would you want to work?  What kinds of things do you enjoy doing in your free fine?  What will make YOU happy?

I get that you want to burn any evidence of your past life.  But what does the new life look like?  Besides being fat fat away from the ex-wife and kids?

I really just want simple and quiet for me and the dog. I've done the large McMansion type house, and it was soul crushing.  I do not believe that I even want to own property ever again, unless it is something really small and low maintenance.

I have about $10,000 in cash and another $65,000 in a manufactured home, that I would have available to use for the move and initially settling down.  my monthly net or take home retirement would be around $2,200 to $2,500.  I am not sure if that is sufficient to live on in the UK, but that's part of why I am looking for feedback.

I worked for over 30 years as a law enforcement officer, and I really don't want to work again, except for maybe part time. No idea of what I could even find to do over there, or if I would want to do anything for very long.

I used to enjoy things like flying, target shooting, and riding motorcycles.  But at this point all I seem to enjoy is spending time walking around with my dog and looking at the local scenery. 

To be bluntly honest, I am not sure that anything will make me happy ever again.  I just don't want to continue to be so miserable, and want a clean break from the life that was ripped out from under me.

I just want peace.

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 04:13:14 PM »
I really just want simple and quiet for me and the dog. I've done the large McMansion type house, and it was soul crushing.  I do not believe that I even want to own property ever again, unless it is something really small and low maintenance.

I have about $10,000 in cash and another $65,000 in a manufactured home, that I would have available to use for the move and initially settling down.

I worked for over 30 years as a law enforcement officer, and I really don't want to work again, except for maybe part time. No idea of what I could even find to do over there, or if I would want to do anything for very long.

I used to enjoy things like flying, target shooting, and riding motorcycles.  But at this point all I seem to enjoy is spending time walking around with my dog and looking at the local scenery. 

To be bluntly honest, I am not sure that anything will make me happy ever again.  I just don't want to continue to be so miserable, and want a clean break from the life that was ripped out from under me.

I just want peace.

I think rural Scotland would suit you, maybe even one of the inhabited islands.  :)

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
Awww, I’m sorry you’ve been dealt a shitty hand noneatall!

If you think the UK is right and want a quiet life, look at Northern England or Scotland.  Property is really expensive here compared to the US but will go much further up north.

Renting in the UK is interesting.  But of course an option.  That’s what you’d need to do for a few years anyway before you’d qualify for a mortgage (and then you can only get a mortgage as long as you below retirement age).  Like I said, it’s interesting!

Have you considered changing states and going “off grid” a bit?  I lived in Colorado for many years and I think you’d fit right in based on what you’ve said. 

I’m sure Nan will come along at some point and give her perspective.  She retired to Scotland last year.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »
Awww, I’m sorry you’ve been dealt a shitty hand noneatall!

If you think the UK is right and want a quiet life, look at Northern England or Scotland.  Property is really expensive here compared to the US but will go much further up north.

Renting in the UK is interesting.  But of course an option.  That’s what you’d need to do for a few years anyway before you’d qualify for a mortgage (and then you can only get a mortgage as long as you below retirement age).  Like I said, it’s interesting!

Have you considered changing states and going “off grid” a bit?  I lived in Colorado for many years and I think you’d fit right in based on what you’ve said. 

I’m sure Nan will come along at some point and give her perspective.  She retired to Scotland last year.

we had thought about moving to Colorado before things went down the drain.  just way too much snow and can be way too remote.  have thought about off-grid in Pennsylvania or Tennessee, but not really stuck on any location yet.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
we had thought about moving to Colorado before things went down the drain.  just way too much snow and can be way too remote.  have thought about off-grid in Pennsylvania or Tennessee, but not really stuck on any location yet.

Take a look into Western Colorado if you want remote and less snow. In the high desert it runs from 0°-105° throughout the year in our town.

Where I lived you could easily live away from people and there were a lot of places to take your dog.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »
Take a look into Western Colorado if you want remote and less snow. In the high desert it runs from 0°-105° throughout the year in our town.

Where I lived you could easily live away from people and there were a lot of places to take your dog.

I've done a bit of looking there on Zillow and other realty sights.  but nothing really moves me about Colorado right now.

IDK, probably all just a pipe dream anyway.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
I've done a bit of looking there on Zillow and other realty sights.  but nothing really moves me about Colorado right now.

No such thing as a pipe dream. 😊

I just know most people don't look beyond the front range and there's an entire other half of the state... Which I like the western half better. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »
No such thing as a pipe dream. 😊

I just know most people don't look beyond the front range and there's an entire other half of the state... Which I like the western half better. Haha.

any particular town you suggest I look at?

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »

Not necessarily. People have been trying to offer you alternatives, because we know how difficult adjusting to life in another country can be, even when you have spouses/family here as most of us do. But you are in a better position that we were because you have claim to British citizenship (actually sounds like you already are a BC and just need to get yourself a passport) so you don't need to bother with the time and expense of a visa. So why not plan an extended vacation to the UK? Travel around a bit, try out a few places, get a feel for life here and how far your money would go before you make a final decision? TBH I think your income would be enough for a quiet life in most places, not major cities but somewhere in the countryside. Maybe try Devon or Cornwall--they're not as cheap as the north or Scotland, but they are less remote while still being very rural and full of great villages where you might reinvent yourself. Or maybe Wales? Less expensive than England, and has some stunning scenery.

Anyway, you should at least give it a try. The US will still be there if things don't work out :).
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links