Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 110400 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
its under a brand called Mattessons

That's it. I knew I'd seen it.  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »

I KNOW I'm going to miss Mexican food.  May have to get my mom to send me some masa to make tamales at Christmas.  I've had good luck finding dry pinto beans and taco shells/tortillas but the food at the Mexican restaurants there are not the same!

You should be able to find Masa, though I found it in the strangest location in the supermarket.

« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
Has someone prepared a master list in itemized for rather than posted messages?  If so, I can't find it & would appreciate the link!

Cheers!
~Teddy
In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.  ~The Beatles

« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
i always find masa in sainsburys in their 'special gourmet food' section .  i think it's done by cool chile company

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2010, 03:18:51 AM »
Oooh!  Thanks for the tips guys!

« Reply #155 on: September 24, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
I think I need to go to a larger sainsburys because I've never seen masa here! And I go to Sainsburys faithfully every Saturday morning with my purple nectar card.

I've been here three years and here's my list:

Food -- Peanut butter (I don't like skippy, I like Peter Pan), Kosher salt (I took some of this back with me), Carnation Instant Breakfast, vanilla coffee mate (I read about this in a British book and tried to find some too!)

House stuff -- heating pad. I think you can actually find some of these here now. Measuring cups I brought back with me last time!

Other-- Shoes and Clothes. I am the only non-British person I've ever met who doesn't like British styles and clothes. I've only brought one pair of trousers and one shirt since I've been here.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #156 on: September 24, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
I think I need to go to a larger sainsburys because I've never seen masa here! And I go to Sainsburys faithfully every Saturday morning with my purple nectar card.

Food -- Peanut butter (I don't like skippy, I like Peter Pan), Kosher salt (I took some of this back with me), Carnation Instant Breakfast, vanilla coffee mate (I read about this in a British book and tried to find some too!)

House stuff -- heating pad. I think you can actually find some of these here now. Measuring cups I brought back with me last time!

Other-- Shoes and Clothes. I am the only non-British person I've ever met who doesn't like British styles and clothes. I've only brought one pair of trousers and one shirt since I've been here.

I'm not British an I don't like English styles or the clothes either I have lived here over 6 years I can count on both hands probably 7 or 8 shirts & tracky bottoms combined I have bought while living in the UK. I think it might be because I'm plus size an I don't like the plus size style of clothes here in the UK.  ::)  :P

« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »
If you are going to make tamales - I have no problem getting masa BUT it is really hard to get corn husks or banana leaves.  Corn husks can only really be gotten on corn in season and they are tiny.  So it just depends on your process - you can use cling wrap or other materials but I always pick but some pre-dried corn husks.

Also any special spices you want or peppers etc.  you need to bring because you cannot always get fresh here.
Moved from Chicago to Sheffield Aug. 2009

« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »

I saw Kosher Salt in a pretty jar in the Tesco "nice spice" section.
I did bring my US measuring cups and TB/TS with me...
Heating pad - naa get one of these they are a life saver as long as you have a microwave!

I hear you about the shoes - I am practical and most outfits seem to much for me.

There isn't a lot I wish I brought (since I did bring a lot) but If I could smuggle one thing it would be more dill pickle slices and vanilla caramel coffee creamer ;-)

I wish I would have brought another set of sheets (I have 3) but they were for King and
I should have bought a queen size for this bed.  It's not common to find high thread count sheets and I am snobby and don't like 200 thread, its like sand paper (sorry).

I did find high thread count sheets in costco and online here but they are expensive.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »
I wish I would have brought another set of sheets (I have 3) but they were for King and
I should have bought a queen size for this bed.  It's not common to find high thread count sheets and I am snobby and don't like 200 thread, its like sand paper (sorry).

I did find high thread count sheets in costco and online here but they are expensive.

I usually get them at TK Maxx.  Now, saying that, there's not a huge selection of colours/designs & so forth, and it's hit or miss at times.  But so far anyway, I've not been hugely picky on what colour it is (usually it's white, a pattern involving white, or I have one sheet that is grey with an embroidered border thingie), etc & have managed to get reasonable thread count bedding there.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »
I usually get them at TK Maxx.  Now, saying that, there's not a huge selection of colours/designs & so forth, and it's hit or miss at times.  But so far anyway, I've not been hugely picky on what colour it is (usually it's white, a pattern involving white, or I have one sheet that is grey with an embroidered border thingie), etc & have managed to get reasonable thread count bedding there.  :)

Selection of bed linens at TK Maxx was awful today - not very much at all!  >:(  I wonder if it's better maybe toward the beginning of the year?  Will keep checking back.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2010, 10:38:36 PM »
Thanks Mrs. R....I plan on going to look for the "pie dish"

Also I am glad I picked up Lawry's and celery salt when I was in the US...I want to make Chex Mix soon and you need celery salt ;-)

« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
They do have celery salt here, or they did when I bought some 6 months ago.   :)

« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
They do have celery salt here, or they did when I bought some 6 months ago.   :)
I asked a friend here and she had never heard of it and I checked my local 2 stores - nada.
So I just brought it back but I bet if I check now they will have it b/c I don't need it haha

« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
That is always the case.  I got mine at Tesco, but they didn't have it at Asda. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab