Hello

Sponsored Links

Poll

How much did your wedding cost?  (in dollars)

Less than $100
10 (10.5%)
Less than $500
14 (14.7%)
Less than $1000
7 (7.4%)
Less than $5000
23 (24.2%)
Less than $10,000
14 (14.7%)
Less than $15, 000
8 (8.4%)
Lesss than $20,000
4 (4.2%)
Less than $30,000
5 (5.3%)
Less than $40,000
2 (2.1%)
Less than $50,000
2 (2.1%)
More than all of those!
6 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Topic: How much did your wedding cost? And poll!  (Read 5531 times)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
Re: How much did your wedding cost? And poll!
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
Right!? My dad's philosophy is 1 car, 1 degree, 1 wedding. That's what we each got. Anything above and beyond we paid for.  ;)
Same here.  Minus the car.  :(
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Liked: 4
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »
Same here.  Minus the car.  :(

Same here!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
Ours was less than £7000 I think, including rings and honeymoon.  More than I would have chosen, but DH wanted the works.  He loves a good wedding.  I just wanted to be married.  We paid for it ourselves, so I didn't have to deal with what other people wanted.  It was just what DH wanted, it was OK for me. I'm just not a big wedding sort of person, but a happily married one.

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
Right!? My dad's philosophy is 1 car, 1 degree, 1 wedding. That's what we each got. Anything above and beyond we paid for.  ;)

Same with my parents!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Our Wedding was simple and pretty inexpensive for a wedding anyway...

1. License - $70
2. Tent/Heater/Chairs - $700 *dad paid this
3. DJ - $400.00 (major deal since weekend after Thanksgiving)
4. Alcohol - $600 (groomsman paid as a wedding gift)
5. Flowers - $90
6. Cake - $90
7. Dress - $400
8. Tux's (guys) - $250 (I think 150 pounds)
9. Random Stuff - $150
10. Food - Mom and Best Friends mom did it all $400
11. Invitations - $125
12. Minister - $100

so our portion $1585 without rings as I have no idea what he paid for mine and the doesn't know his ;-)
$3375 would have been what it cost

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
Unless they picked out the first husband! Then I would expect them to pay for the divorce and any subsequent wedding!  ;D

Haha! Let's just say, we all made a bad choice! Haha!

And I don't expect them to pay for it, I just haven't broached the subject of a second wedding to them, so I don't know what will happen.
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
My first wedding (1991) cost me about $1000 - I paid for it myself (and for the divorce in 1994).

My second wedding (1995) cost around $100 (JOP) - I paid for that too (and for the divorce in 2001).

My third, final & bestest ever wedding (2004) cost my in-laws around £5,500 (they paid for the package deal at our venue).  My husband and I paid approx an additional £500, give or take, for our attire, cake, and some extra flowers.  :)  Oh yeah, he paid a lot more than that too for our rings.  ;D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Another Implant from Dallas!
    • The Scarlet B
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 12:52:39 AM »

Lesse...

• £80 for materials to get my dress made (a friend made it as our wedding present)
  • £100 for DH's clothing bits
  • Legal fees of whatever amount (we got married at the registry office :D)

Photography and video were provided free by our tiny handful of guests (one of which is a semi-professional).  My in-laws shoved a bit of money in our hands to go pick up some pre-made sandwiches (they couldn't fathom the bride wanting to make them herself *laughs*)... think that covers it.  It was a lovely stress-free day, and my mother-in-law learned a valuable lesson about how traditional and simple CAN go hand-in-hand!

Oh, I guess if you throw in rings, it cost a bit more... but I don't really consider that a wedding expense for some reason. ;)
12th Oct 2009: Applied for SET(M)/ILR
31st Dec 2009: First child born - welcome, Miss Leah Elizabeth!
21 Jan 2010: ILR received, yay!
July 2011: Citizenship!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »

Oh, I guess if you throw in rings, it cost a bit more... but I don't really consider that a wedding expense for some reason. ;)

Me either!  ;D

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »
Our wedding was just the two of us and 8 of my family members and friends (his family couldn't make it) and we had it at a B & B in the garden. We spent less than $1000 altogether, including the rings, dress, suit, and everything. The B & B I think was $500, which included our honeymoon suite, the cake and flowers, champagne, and reverend (though we had a secular ceremony). I bought my dress on Craigs List, brand new, handmade in India, for $200 and had it altered for $100. We rented his suit for about $100, I think, and we purchased some plain sterling silver bands from James Avery and had them engraved for about another $100. One of my friends from uni is a wedding photographer and took all of our photos for free, luckily. And we created our own wedding CD and they played it for us. Then we just went camping in Arkansas for our honeymoon, which was gorgeous. We rented one of those YURT things, which was a giant tent and right on the lake with everything we needed and hired a boat to cruise around the lake, went hiking through the forest, rode some bikes around and just soaked it all in. It was wonderful! I'm so glad we didn't spend loads of money on the wedding and honeymoon, as it was just perfect the way it was.  :)

I never really see the point in spending loads and loads of money pulling out all the stops. The most expensive wedding I ever went to was a fantastic time - I had the best food, full open bar, there were fireworks, and the whole night was amazing, it must've cost a fortune. But the couple was divorced less than a year later, sadly. I'm sure someone was still in debt over that wedding (either them or their parents or both) and wondering why they bothered to spend so much.  :-\\\\

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
I had the best food, full open bar, there were fireworks, and the whole night was amazing, it must've cost a fortune.
WHOA. Okay, so I've never been to a wedding with it's own fireworks!  What I loved about our wedding was the way it felt like a real family affair.  Everyone we loved was there and meeting everyone else we loved.  It was great. 

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2010, 11:10:52 AM »
WHOA. Okay, so I've never been to a wedding with it's own fireworks!  What I loved about our wedding was the way it felt like a real family affair.  Everyone we loved was there and meeting everyone else we loved.  It was great. 

The wedding was on the Fourth of July at a huge, gorgeous country club in New Jersey. I was flown out from Dallas for the wedding as the guest of the bride's cousin (my boyfriend at the time) and didn't have to pay anything except my spending money for the trip. They did a huge fireworks display just after the reception over the massive fountains outside as the bride and groom were leaving the reception - it was amazing. We had crab legs and all sorts of decadent things as appetizers, then lobster bisque, then the best steak I've ever had, plus some rich desserts and then wedding cake. There was a DJ and full open bar and I got drunk with my boyfriend's sister and danced the whole night away! It really was an amazing time, plus I got to spend a lot of time in NYC and didn't even have to pay for my plane ticket, though I barely knew the bride and had never met the groom. Plus the rehearsal dinner was fab, too, at a really swanky restaurant. I have to say it was one of the best weeks I ever spent, though I felt so sad to hear the marriage didn't even last a year considering how grand the whole affair was.  :-X :-\\\\

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2010, 11:14:47 AM »
Yeah, it's a good thing my mom hadn't heard about this wedding or there would have been ANOTHER thing she secretly wished I wanted but in reality I couldn't care less about.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2010, 12:21:59 PM »
I have to say it was one of the best weeks I ever spent, though I felt so sad to hear the marriage didn't even last a year considering how grand the whole affair was.  :-X :-\\\\

See, that right there sounds to me like someone who desperately wanted to have a wedding, as opposed to someone who actually wants to be married.  Which is basically the opposite of what I want.

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
See, that right there sounds to me like someone who desperately wanted to have a wedding, as opposed to someone who actually wants to be married.  Which is basically the opposite of what I want.

Sometimes you can have both.  ;)

Sponsored Links