Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance Visa - Starting paperwork!  (Read 4664 times)

• Liked: 0
Fiance Visa - Starting paperwork!
« on: March 06, 2021, 05:46:47 PM »
Hello all,

So the fiance and I were planned to be married last year, but with COVID, we've had to postpone almost three times now and rather sick of it. So we've decided to instead go with the fiance visa, so I can just get over to the UK and we can move forward with this process.

I'm currently in the UK with her and will be until May. We want to apply right when I get back into the states, so I just had a few questions in hand. Specifically two, with pay and the timespan.

First Question:

She works for a not-for-profit company and started with them back in November. She is paid once a month and got her first paycheck on the 13th of November. Her bank statements are from the 18th to the 18th, so it would have included that first paycheck.

We want to apply for the fiance visa at the end of May, this would cover more than enough of the time requirement right? 18th of November, to the 18th of May, bank statement wise, and 13th of November, to the 13th of May, paystub wise.

Second question:

Once we apply for the fiance visa (we want to expedite it), I'm assuming this would take a few months while I'm in the US. If everything goes as planned, and I get the visa and come back to the UK to be married asap, will the spouse visa be about the same requirement in terms of paperwork as was the fiance visa?

Do most just save the majority of the paperwork they had, shuffling in a few new / updated documents?

Thanks!

• Liked: 3597
Re: Fiance Visa - Starting paperwork!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »
First Question:

She works for a not-for-profit company and started with them back in November. She is paid once a month and got her first paycheck on the 13th of November. Her bank statements are from the 18th to the 18th, so it would have included that first paycheck.

We want to apply for the fiance visa at the end of May, this would cover more than enough of the time requirement right? 18th of November, to the 18th of May, bank statement wise, and 13th of November, to the 13th of May, paystub wise.

Is she salaried (fixed annual salary) or non-salaried (hourly wage, contracted for X hours per week)?

If she is salaried
They will calculate her income by taking the lowest gross payslip (before tax) from the last 6 months and multiplying it by 12 to get her total annual salary. In order to meet the requirement, her lowest payslip must be at least £1,550 before tax (£1,550 x 12 = £18,600). So, if her November payslip only covers a few days (up to 13th November), it will likely not be over £1,550 and therefore will not meet the requirements. This means you will have to wait until she has the June 13th payslip and June 18th bank statement before you can apply.

If she is non-salaried
They will calculate her income by adding up all the gross payslip amounts from the last 6 months, dividing by 6 and multiplying by 12 to get her average annual income. If this figure is at least £18,600, the requirement will be met. If it's not quite £18,600 with just the November to May payslips, you will need to wait until she has the June 13th payslip before applying.

Bank statements
The bank statements must cover every single day that the payslips cover, so if her first payslip is dated 13th November, you need to make sure that the first bank statement covers from 18th October to 18th November, so that it shows the first payslip deposit on the 13th. So the bank statements should cover all the dates from 18th October to 18th May.

Second question:

Once we apply for the fiance visa (we want to expedite it), I'm assuming this would take a few months while I'm in the US.

The priority service is supposed to give a decision within 30 working days (6 weeks) from biometrics, though processing times have been a bit longer recently due to Covid delays.

Having said that, recent fiance visa timelines have been:

Using priority processing:
Biometrics = Dec 28th
Visa approved = Jan 28th

Without priority processing:
Biometrics =  Nov 11th
Visa approved = Jan 12th

If everything goes as planned, and I get the visa and come back to the UK to be married asap, will the spouse visa be about the same requirement in terms of paperwork as was the fiance visa?
Do most just save the majority of the paperwork they had, shuffling in a few new / updated documents?

To be honest, while most of the documents are the same for both visas, the majority of them will need to be updated as the previous ones are unlikely to still be valid by the time you apply.

- You will need new payslips, new bank statements, and a new employer letter.
- You may need new accommodation documents/letters, depending on your living situation (i.e. if you are added to the tenancy agreement after moving to the UK, or you need a new landlord/homeowner letter)
- You will need completely new relationship documents, as the required relationship evidence is different.

For the fiance visa relationship evidence, you provide:
- evidence of plans to marry in the UK
- 1 or 2 photos of you together
- boarding passes from trips to see each other
- letters/cards sent to each other
- evidence of regular communication while apart, such as screenshots of call logs, email inboxes, message logs etc

For the FLR(M) relationship evidence, you provide:
- marriage certificate
- 6 items of official mail in each of your names (either joint or individual mail) send to your UK address.

These must be from at least 3 official sources (council tax, utility bills, bank statements, NHS letters etc.) and must be evenly-spaced over the time you have lived together since moving to the UK on the fiance visa. They MUST have been received in the mail in the months they are dated - electronic bills and statements are not acceptable.

Now as you won't have been in the UK for long when you apply for FLR(M), you are unlikely to have that many official items of mail in your name, so if you don't have enough, you just need to write a letter of explanation, saying that you have only recently moved here and haven't had a chance to receive much mail yet.

Having said that, as soon as you come back on the fiance visa, you'll want to get your name on as many bills and statements as possible, and turn OFF paperless for EVERYTHING so that it is all received in the mail. Don't try to get your name added to anything yet though, as you are only here as a visitor at the moment and do not legally live here, so should not be listed on any bills or statements.

Just to note:
After you marry, you will actually be applying for an FLR(M) visa, not a spousal visa... it's a small distinction, but they are different visas, with different costs and different application processes, and we don't want to confuse things by accidentally advising you on the wrong one.

Spousal visa = only issued OUTSIDE the UK, valid 33 months, costs £1523 + £1872 IHS surcharge = £3,395
FLR(M) visa = only issued INSIDE the UK, valid 30 months, costs £1,033 + £1,560 IHS surcharge = £2,593

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 11:01:47 AM »
@ksand24

Thank you for the reply, that was incredibly informative, and for the clarification of the FLR(M) visa in comparison to the spouse visa.

She is salaried, and her November payslip was the full pay, so if we make sure we have those bank statements from October into May, that should be fine right? And she can just print them out, and have the bank stamp them?

Also, I'll be in Missouri, and not sure about the biometrics location (or if they're open due to COVID), can I just pay extra to have them send me a packet to my house to do it, or does this have to be in person?

And for the application itself, is everything done online at this point? Or do we still need to make a packet with paper to send off?

Thanks again!

Fiance Visa - Starting paperwork!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 11:10:20 AM »
@ksand24

Thank you for the reply, that was incredibly informative, and for the clarification of the FLR(M) visa in comparison to the spouse visa.

She is salaried, and her November payslip was the full pay, so if we make sure we have those bank statements from October into May, that should be fine right? And she can just print them out, and have the bank stamp them?

Yes, that’s fine.

The bank statements either have to be:
- originals mailed to her
or
- if they are printed from online banking they either have to be stamped by the bank on every single page or accompanied by a letter from the bank confirming their authenticity

Also, I'll be in Missouri, and not sure about the biometrics location (or if they're open due to COVID), can I just pay extra to have them send me a packet to my house to do it, or does this have to be in person?

The biometrics must be done in person. It’s a 5-minute appointment done by US immigration on behalf of UKVI, where they check your passport for ID, scan the barcode on your appointment letter, then take your fingerprints and photo and send you home. The biometrics are sent to UKVI electronically by US immigration. You then have 5 days to mail your passport to New York for processing.

You can find your nearest biometrics centre here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/office-locator/#/ascresults/MO/Missouri

And for the application itself, is everything done online at this point? Or do we still need to make a packet with paper to send off?

The application is completed online and then you book your biometrics appointment on the VFS Global website and purchase any extra services you want (shipping, priority processing etc.). Then you upload all your documents to the VFS Global website before your biometrics appointment.

You still have to mail your passport to New York, though, so that your visa sticker can be issued into it.

So the following is mailed to New York:
- current US passport
- biometrics appointment confirmation letter with barcode on it
- return shipping label
- return packaging
- receipt for priority processing, if using
- you may also need to include the first page of your online application with the barcode on it... not sure if this is still required or not though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 05:09:54 PM »
Thank you so much!

Would it be okay to just respond to this thread for future questions? Or do these threads become inactive/unable to respond after a certain period of time?

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 06:16:21 PM »
Would it be okay to just respond to this thread for future questions?

Yes, please keep responding to this post :).

In fact, that's just what we ask you to do, as it makes things much easier for us to help you if you keep every question you have about your application in the same thread... that way, all your information is together in one place, and we can easily just scroll up to check what you've already asked and what advice you've been given.

Or do these threads become inactive/unable to respond after a certain period of time?

No, they never become inactive.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »
Wonderful!

This is such a stress relief having this page and you here to assist, it's a debt we all owe you for your time and assistance.

Ran into our first little question hehe. On her bank statements, she has multiple pages per month, do we need to provide them all, or just the page where the funds from her company enter her account?

Thanks again!

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »
Every page!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
Thank you.

Because my brain works much better-picturing everything, do I have this checklist for our fiance visa correct? The information that will need to be provided.

Applicant (me):

- current US passport
- biometrics appointment confirmation letter with the barcode on it
- return shipping label
- return packaging
- receipt for priority processing
- and possibly the first page of the online application

Sponsor:

- Copy UK passport photo page
- Sponsor letter of support for the visa

Accommodation:

- original tenancy agreement
- landlord letter

Finances:
(She's salaried, not-for-profit company, and paid once a month, so I'm assuming category A).
Category A:
- 6 months of original payslips
- 6 months of original bank statements
- letter from current employer

Does she need the job contract and P60 as well?

Relationship evidence:

- 1 or 2 photos of us together (perhaps at the beginning, and more recent?)
- boarding passes from trips to see each other
- any physical letters and cards sent to each other
- 1-3 pages of screenshots of our calls/chats

Now I've been in the UK for 4-5 months at a time throughout the 2019-2021 process (been dating since 2017), so for certain periods of time, we have a more absence of texts/calls, do I just provide a letter for each time to explain why?

Thank you!

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 01:56:42 PM »
Your document list looks pretty good to me :)

Does she need the job contract and P60 as well?

The job contract and P60 are not mandatory, however the Appendix FM 1.7 guidance says that they may ask to see them, so we recommend including them if you can, if only to save them having to contact you later to ask you to send them.. which can delay the processing time of your application while they wait to receive them.

Now I've been in the UK for 4-5 months at a time throughout the 2019-2021 process (been dating since 2017), so for certain periods of time, we have a more absence of texts/calls, do I just provide a letter for each time to explain why?

No, there's no need, because you only need to provide evidence of texts/calls for the periods of time you have been apart and unable to spend time together in person.

They will know from your boarding passes and travel history, plus the sponsor letter detailing how often you see each other, when you were together in person, so they won't expect to see texts/calls for those periods of time.

Then, for the time when you have not been able to spend time together in person, you show that the relationship was subsisting via regular communication in a long-distance relationship... by way of screenshots of regular calls/texts etc.

So, if you've been dating since 2017, and spending 4-5 months at a time in the UK between 2019 and 2021, then your evidence might look something like:

Jan 2017 to Jan 2019
- screenshots of texts/calls (maybe 1 or 2 per month)
- any letters/cards sent to each other

Jan - June 2019
- boarding passes to show you were in the UK with her

June - Nov 2019

Nov 2019 - Mar 2020

Mar 2020 - Nov 2020

Nov 2020 - May 2021

May 2021 - Application Date
- screenshots of texts/calls between leaving the UK and applying for the visa

And in the sponsor letter, the relationship paragraph would say something like:

[APPLICANT] and I met on [DATE] in [TOWN/CITY, COUNTRY] and we entered into a relationship on [DATE]. [APPLICANT] has visited me in the UK on X occasions for 4-5 months at a time, between [DATES OF TRIP], [DATES OF TRIP] and [DATES OF TRIP] and I visited him in the US on [GIVE SIMILAR DETAILS IF APPLICABLE]. When we are apart, we communicate daily via [COMMUNICATION METHOD(S)]. We got engaged on [DATE] and we plan to marry in the UK in [TOWN/CITY, COUNTY] on [DATE]. We are choosing to settle in the UK together because [GIVE REASON(S)].

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »
Fantastic! Thanks :)

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »
Not entirely related to the visa, but wanted to see if you had any advice on this.

We want to send off the application/documents near the end of May when I get back into the US, with priority service, and (hope) to get everything sorted by late July. We planned on getting married at a registry office on the 21st, or 28th of August, but just found out you need to give them a physical notice of the intent to marry 29 days earlier. Both sign a document, etc.

Should we then bump back the date into September? And will that still give us enough time on the visa to be married, and send off the proper documents in time before that 6-month timeline?

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't plan for an actual wedding date, or book anything officially, until after you have the visa and can give notice.

All you need to do for the fiance visa application is provide evidence that you have looked into possible ceremony dates, by way of including an email chain with the registry office enquiring about what dates are available.

You can make a provisional ceremony booking if you like, but you don't want to spend any money that you won't be able to get back if it turns out you have to change the booking to a later date.

In order to marry in England or Wales, the timeline is:
- you must have been resident in the county where you plan to marry on your fiance visa for at least 7 days before you can give notice (the 7-day wait does not apply in Scotland)
- once you have given notice, you have to wait at least 28 days before you can marry - this applies to anyone marrying in the UK, regardless of whether they have a visa or not. However, if you have a visa, your case may be referred to UKVI for further investigation (to confirm the relationship/marriage is genuine), which can take up to 70 days.
- once the 28 days (or 70 days) have passed, you can get married

As you will have a fiance visa, which is specifically for the purpose of getting married, you should only have to wait the required 28 days (as you will already have permission from UKVI to marry so they shouldn't need to look into your case), but you never know exactly how long the whole process will actually take.

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
Hey -- would this format be fine when I'm doing the conversations for proof of relationship?

Figured messages from every couple of months, and have it that each page is a year, so 5 pages in total.

https://imgur.com/a/DRffftp

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 06:25:51 PM »
Hey -- would this format be fine when I'm doing the conversations for proof of relationship?

Figured messages from every couple of months, and have it that each page is a year, so 5 pages in total.

https://imgur.com/a/DRffftp

If you are covering 5 years, you just want 1 message per month (60 in total), or maybe even 1 message every 2 months (30 in total).

You only need to include date, time and name, so you can crop out the actual message content (they don't need to see what you talked about, only that you talked)... so you should be able to get maybe 20-30 messages on one page... so that would be 2-3 pages in total.

As an example, this would be either 2 or 4 years of WhatsApp messages (at either 1 per month or 1 every 2 months), with the message part cropped/blacked out - you would just need to make sure you included the name at the top of each one, which I didn't do here:

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab