Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about  (Read 87555 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: DISCUSSION: Before you move: Things to really think about
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2010, 02:56:28 AM »
just in case anyone forgot..

sausages are bland here and their bacon is too thick
they drink tea with milk 20 times a day (yuck)
everyone fears MOT time
TV shows suck here
nobody changes their oil in their car(ok maybe once a year, no kidding some longer)
 ;D ok enough..

[
/quote]
This sounds like me in the states, LOL

• Blue Star Creative Consulting
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
New to the site, been perusing various topics and really enjoy what's been shared in this thread. Ironically, relocation within our home area can bring about some of these stresses too.

I've lived in OH, PA, MO, OK, FL, GA, AL, DC, and CA in the last 20 years.  Each move found me unfamiliar with daily routines, foods, etc. for a while, and longing for some things from my prior 'homes'. I've learned to love, and later long for things such as Jone's Potato Chips, Milo's Sweet Tea, Wahoo's Fish Tacos, Winn Dixie, Publix, and Von's Groceries to name a few. In the north a carbonated beverage is 'pop', in the south it's 'soda'.  In CA there seems to be a winery/vineyard in each county, and in OK you could only purchase wine at one of very few state run liquor stores, often getting a raised eyebrow from the store clerk if you bought 3 or more bottles of beverage in years past.

I'm hoping that my domestic relocation adventures will prepare me for a relatively smooth transition to UK/EU living.  I know the information I've found here in just a few days is invaluable and will also help make the move less stressful.

Thanks everyone for sharing  :)

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
bluestar, it's all about the attitude. You've done plenty of moving so you already know there's gonna be a time when you're lost or when you're craving something you won't find locally and that some terminology and customs will be different, so you're doing better than many people taking on a big relocation. Just come in with a good attitude and I think you'll find that everything is manageable. Good luck!
Arrived 12 Oct 2010/Spousal Visa
Whole new world for a Southern gardener, but I'm very happy.

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »
Ive been in the UK 5 years now, and as a single Male its bizzare how difficult it is to make friends here. As someone posted on this forum also, unless you have been in the UK for a millenia or have strong roots here, then dont bother moving here. Its a nice country with many pros and cons but people here generally stay to themselves, and I would'nt bother "putting yourself out there" unless you want to look like silly. And also, many British people fly or move abroad anyways, the one "mate" I have made who lives down the road is moving to South America next year with his girlfriend. England is a nice place if you have family here, but as far as making "friends" its not the place to be.
D. Finnigan

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
I would'nt bother "putting yourself out there" unless you want to look like silly.

I'm really sorry you haven't been able to make many friends but I do know that a lot of us have "put ourselves out there" and reaped the rewards.  :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »
I'm really sorry you haven't been able to make many friends but I do know that a lot of us have "put ourselves out there" and reaped the rewards.  :)
Yep, and I've used the fact that I'm "foreign" as an excuse to make mistakes.  I'm hugely enjoying being the slightly-batty American. People are much more forgiving and kind than I think we give them credit for. It can be quite freeing.

Not that I don't spend some time each month desperate for Mexican food, but, well ;).

• Sonnet for Profit
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

Not that I don't spend some time each month desperate for Mexican food, but, well ;).

The "Mexican" I have had there is just TERRIBLE. Nobody uses the right cheese and it's impossible to find in the supermarket!

In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important.

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2011, 02:44:15 AM »
Yep, and I've used the fact that I'm "foreign" as an excuse to make mistakes.  I'm hugely enjoying being the slightly-batty American. People are much more forgiving and kind than I think we give them credit for. It can be quite freeing.

I agree about the people. They treat me very, very well. Lots of things to get use to and adapt to and some people are better at adapting than others. I'm a wheelchair user, dependent upon others just to survive so I have adapted all of my life and I am ready for this adventure. Few things can't be reversed and if I can't do it, I'll leave, but it has been a lifelong dream and I'll give it a go. Going to Europe too and who knows where. Toughest part is surviving the airlines.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
Ive been in the UK 5 years now, and as a single Male its bizzare how difficult it is to make friends here. As someone posted on this forum also, unless you have been in the UK for a millenia or have strong roots here, then dont bother moving here. Its a nice country with many pros and cons but people here generally stay to themselves, and I would'nt bother "putting yourself out there" unless you want to look like silly. And also, many British people fly or move abroad anyways, the one "mate" I have made who lives down the road is moving to South America next year with his girlfriend. England is a nice place if you have family here, but as far as making "friends" its not the place to be.

I'm really surprised to see your post. I've lived in Manchester for about a year and a half now, and have found Mancs to be incredibly friendly. Due to me not having a job until a couple of weeks ago, I've not had the cash to try and firm up some budding friendships - but I will be doing so now.

If you ever want to get a coffee or a pint, let me know.

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
im moving to Scotland in September(which still doesnt seem real to me yet O_o) and i need some tips of what to do to be safe, areas in scotland to avoid(especially since we plan on moving to edinburgh, livingston or close by towns) best places for dining, ect ect. I am forever worried im gonna get lost and not know my way home since i have such a bad memory that worries me alot

• Liked: 21
hmm
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »
To those who are nervous/apprehensive about the move... it's only natural, especially if you come from a close family! Me and my family are extremely close and things like Facetime and Skype are blessings. We keep in contact all the time. With that said though, it is still very hard at times. There's a part that's missing. In the same token, living back in the US with my family there was still a part missing being away from my long term British BF. I still have my "moments" occasionally but the busier I keep myself the easier it is. BF is very supportive as well.
Also, don't think that you need to fit a certain "mold" to move to the UK! There were those who were leery of me moving because I'm more reserved and I've never been too adventurous. I guess they expected for someone to successfully live in another country, things like being outgoing, assertive, and adventurous were requirements (aka things that don't come so naturally to me!). Perhaps those traits do help, but they're not everything. I've found, for example, that patience and open-mindedness are extremely important as well.

Also to those who are thinking of or in plans to move, I highly recommend visiting first if you can (if you haven't done so already). I visited four times before I moved and I definitely think that familiarizing myself with the UK helped with the transition and what to expect. It's still entirely different living over here though. I've been here since September and it's been a slow work in progress over the last few months, but I finally feel like I'm finding my footing here. Joining a gym, looking for volunteer opportunities to build up my CV and get UK experience, etc. Still haven't made any friends over here, so I'm considering meetups too.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that for now.
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

• Liked: 1260
hmm
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:34 AM »
Still haven't made any friends over here, so I'm considering meetups too.

I'm not moving until November but I did browse meetup.com to get an idea of what types of groups would be available that I might like to join and I will vouch and say there were a few "US-UK/Expat" groups that sounded pretty interesting that I joined. One specifically called City Girls (i believe it was called?) that seemed really great if you wanted to make girl friends. The picture looks like a flapper girl...seems like it could be pretty fun if that's any help :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »
Ok,
 I have been seeing this trend throughout many of the posts I have been reading, is it really that hard to make friends in England?  When I say this I am not saying it with a condesending tone but a questioning tone (I don't want to offend anyone because I know it can be easily done when someone can hear the intonation of your voice).  I am not shy by any means and I have the tendency to talk to anyone, and from my own personal experience in England I foud the people to be fantastic and very friendly, I even have a few that keep in constant contact with me via email or phone.

I have noticed this a lot as well, but I think it's different for us very outgoing people.  Some people are never going to be friendly to you [I think my SIL actively hates me, but I'm working on her  ;)], but I think it's a lot easier for a Brit to open up to an American who a] Is friendly and engaging, and b] Is funny but doesn't take themselves too seriously, and c] Understands the British sense of humour--which can be a bit harsh to our PC ears. I can be very literal about things sometimes and don't always catch it when my husband is making fun of me. 

We have not moved yet, we are on a two year plan, but I have the advantage of having met on several occasions all of my inlaws [including cousins and Aunties and Uncles etc], had friends and family visit us here, and my husband and I have been together for 7.5 years.  I've had time to adjust to him and his ways and I've actively followed British culture and kept in touch with several of his friends I met during our visits there and our Wedding there. In fact, I have become very close friends with the wife of one of his mates and we have lately been conspiring to make sure we're within 20 minutes of each other when we move  :).

I'm not saying it's going to be a walk in the park--I'm sure there will be some struggles--but I'm looking forward to forming lasting friendships with more substance than the one's I've managed here in Georgia.  People here are so fickle and insincere, and then when you are real and loyal they think you're some kind of stalker or something. Even 'lifelong' friends will drop you at the smallest change in circumstance, and I have not had that experience with my British friends.
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Y'all watch out! Here I come.
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
The "Mexican" I have had there is just TERRIBLE. Nobody uses the right cheese and it's impossible to find in the supermarket!

Nicole and Jeanne: Hold on to your hats because I'm Mexican and I have had a lifelong ambition to move to England and open a REAL Mexican restaurant.  Especially after having several terrible experiences all over Europe.  [WHY do people think Mexican-Americans WANT to try terrible European versions of our food?!].  I have my Daddy living with me for the next two years before we move [I might even try to bring him with me], and he's teaching me how to cook like his Aunts in addition to all the recipes I've already developed  ;)
4 December 2005--Met in ATL, Moved in together
July 2006--First visit to the UK, met his Mum
Feb 2007--Eloped and told everyone we were engaged ;)
May 2007--Wedding, Part 1 in Pine Mountain, GA;
Sept 2007--Wedding, Part 2 in Scarborough, UK
Nov ‘08–1st Child
May ‘10–2nd Child
June 2013--Decided to move to the UK!
July 2013-Jan 2016–family tragedies. Delayed move
April ‘15–3rd Child
2019...planning again
January 2022–applying for visa!
Goal: Get Eldest in UK school by year 9!
Hopefully moving to Malvern June 2022

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
Nicole and Jeanne: Hold on to your hats because I'm Mexican and I have had a lifelong ambition to move to England and open a REAL Mexican restaurant.  Especially after having several terrible experiences all over Europe.  [WHY do people think Mexican-Americans WANT to try terrible European versions of our food?!].  I have my Daddy living with me for the next two years before we move [I might even try to bring him with me], and he's teaching me how to cook like his Aunts in addition to all the recipes I've already developed  ;)

I expect you'll find it difficult to source ingredients.  Avocados here make stones look soft. 

Plus, Mexican food in the UK, or what passes for it, isn't intended for Mexican-Americans, it's intended for British people.  The average British person hasn't got the first clue about Mexican food (perhaps in London this is getting less true, but out here in the boonies, people just don't get it) so why would they care about authenticity?  They're looking to please their local customer base.  Which would explain why I once had a burrito with swede in it  [smiley=puke.gif].

Finally, it's essential to remember that whenever food travels it takes on a different character, to reflect local tastes.  Chinese food in the UK and US is nothing like Chinese food in China, for example.  Pizza and curry in Japan is nothing like it is here, and British sushi is a pale imitation of even the most run-of-the-mill stuff you get in Japan.  McDonalds is noticeably different from country to country.  Even in a lot of places in the US, Mexican food isn't very good, or very authentic. 

Basically, what I'm saying is good luck with your Mexican restaurant, but IMO you'll have a steep uphill battle. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab