Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you  (Read 107890 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: LIST: Things you wish you had brought with you
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »
For those of you following Jemimas conversation about US food in the UK being the worst kind - kindly hop on over to Food Chat where the topic now lives separately as "The US food available here is the worst kind".
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »
well, after a month and a half i can post to this.

wish i had brought more power adaptors and power strips, US-UK.
Travel coffe mugs
BREADCRUMBS. Progresso
More sugar free pudding

oh i know there are more....

• Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2004, 01:00:22 PM »
<Hijack>

My FIL beats anyones husband hands down....
He has no teeth! ::)

</hijack>

Aimiloo I saw travel mugs in Wilkensons and at a few local type shops.  If you can't find them let me know. PM me and I will work for bribes...

and ditto on the bread crumbs.... make them fresh.  I use a hand immersion braun that zaps them in seconds.  You can make garlic ones, italian ones and even toast them lightly in a pan or in the oven.  

I miss Nilla Wafers....... I will have to fork out some money to buy some in a shop in London next month I guess. I used all mine.

Oh and cheap corn tortillas from WalMart (even though cool chili makes some nice ones.)

As for the recipe... you will post it in the cookbook won't you?

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2004, 10:42:10 PM »
My German Shep. dog. She was ten when I had to leave her behind in the USA. They didnt have the PETS scheme back then like they do now. She could have never handled the six month quarantine :(

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2004, 06:25:25 AM »
Andrew's nuts (obvious pun) about Jif (both crunchy and creamy), and any nuts in their shells. Can anyone explain why peanuts are called monkey nuts here?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2004, 10:51:53 AM »
My German Shep. dog. She was ten when I had to leave her behind in the USA. They didnt have the PETS scheme back then like they do now. She could have never handled the six month quarantine :(

My little 12 lb pomeranian Simon had to go through quarantine! It was awful. I sent him over 3 months before I got there. By the time I got there, he had lost his bark as that's ALL HE DID ALL DAY...And you had to sit with them in the kennel because they're not allowed out so you felt like you were sitting in a big pile of wee and poo.. And the incessant barking nonstop from the other dogs....horrendous.

But he's 12 now and seems fairly recovered from his ordeal now....10 years later! ;)
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »
My favorite OTC drugs, melatonian is not sold in the UK.... I buy a couple bottles every time i go back.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2005, 11:42:39 AM »
My twins 20 yr old daughters. I wish we had of talked them into coming over here and go to college. Instead i have to worry about everylittle thing. That is what moms do.
I wish i had know 6 months earlier, my dog would be here.
I wish we had shipped our canopy for outside.
I wish i had some of my hubby's none electrical tools.
I wish i had some of his power tools as well, but have to use a transformer. I think it would have been just as cheap to have brought the tools and bought the transformers.
Great value cheese (wal-mart brand for Velveeta cheese) not as salty.
Bought more jeans before coming over here.

jsayegh
Back Home,
JSayegh

• Tanya's Place
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2005, 11:33:26 PM »
Hey Mindy...have you checked out www.mrflag.com yet? Assorted flagpoles there and some quite reasonable.

Also wish I had a flag pole.  I've got a flag but  can't get my hands on a pole and it's on my list for the next time I go home.  

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »
I'd deffo bring all DVDs and CDs, especially if you watch your DVDs on your laptop.  They're great for the plane if you get stuck sitting next to someone annoying and you don't like the in-flight films.  Also they're good to have around as a pick-me-up if you feel lonely or homesick and/or you have no TV. 

I also brought some stuff to make any place feel like home - some small Aveda travel candles, a small photo album, a necklace my father had given me, some shells my mom found for me, some drawings by my nieces, a book of photos from my fav national park, etc.

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2005, 05:54:11 PM »
Also, there is Tupperware, then there are no-brand storage containers.  Two totally different animals as far as I'm concerned.  I don't use Tupperware brand stuff to store leftovers - too often they turn into science projects and I don't want to clean it out to throw away the contents so the whole thing gets pitched.  I love the Ziplock containers for that sort of thing.  But I DO use the Tupperware modular mates to store all my pantry goods - pasta, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, powdered sugar, brown sugar - etc.  I won't move without them.  Mostly because it was a huge investment to buy them in the first place, but they do make life so much easier when you don't have a bunch of odd boxes and bags floating around in a cupboard or pantry.  Saves a huge amount of space too.

- and no, I don't work for Tupperware.  But my best friend did at the time I bought them.  ;)

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:50 AM »
My quality dressing gown.  I thought, 'Oh, it's too heavy and bulky to pack, I'll just buy one there.'   :\\\'(  I'm now hoping for a toweling one from The White Company for Christmas.  It's about the only place that matched the quality of my Victoria's Secret lovely, but costs about 50% more  :\\\'(. 

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2005, 09:37:11 PM »
Graham Cracker pie crusts for Cheesecake!!

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2005, 01:24:52 AM »
a few more bags of jolly ranchers... :(

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 11:24:57 AM »
my telescope
a huge bottle of Aleve or some other naproxen
my fluffy bathrobe
my woolly slippers
Italian-style breadcrumbs
more photo albums