Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I've been going to the hospital will they bill me?  (Read 5876 times)

• Liked: 0
I've been going to the hospital will they bill me?
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:29:50 PM »
I have been having a rough pregnancy so I have been going to a local hospital ran by the NHS and they haven't asked for any money or to see my visa.  I don't have a finance visa yet, I am here on my vistors still and I was wondering if they might send my spouse a bill because they did take his name and address.  They have even given me my next app. to see the midwife next week.
The day I met my son is the day I became me.  I thank him for that.

Re: I've been going to the hospital will they bill me?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »
Yes, you should expect to be billed for that until you have established residency.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/International/OverseasVisitors/OverseasVisitorsGeneralArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4080710&chk=vQ3pCG

I am under that same liability at the moment, BTW.

JH

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:19:25 PM »
I went to link of DH thanks by the way.  It states that I am entiltled to NHS service if I could prove that I am taking up residence here and they did ask me about that and I told them yes.  Do you think that that's why they are continuing to  treat me.
The day I met my son is the day I became me.  I thank him for that.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 04:20:59 PM »
Quite possibly but do get your visa sorted out sooner rather than later to be on the safe side.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »
They won't refuse to treat you, although they may bill you.  Best to get your visa sorted soon. 

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 04:33:02 PM »
Good link Jim H.  I didn't know that and I guess you have to plan that you may be billed for treatment.

However, has anyone actually been billed?? Our kids were born in cosmopolitan East London and a midwife told me that probably 33% of mothers in the care of the hopsital were probably not entitled to NHS treatment (as they were from countries without a reciprocal agreement), but the hopsital never checked up as it didn't see that as its responsibility.

Does anyone have experience of being billed for treatment??

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 04:58:33 PM »
I spent a week in 1995 on IV's and tons of other things due to severe dehydration in a NHS hospital. I was never billed for the stay.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 05:14:45 PM »
When I moved here and was still on my visitors visa I saw a doc a few times and was never billed.

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »
I would say the chances of you being billed are remote to non existent , the system is just not set up for that.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 08:39:45 PM »
Get your visa.  I'd expect a bill. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2005, 08:51:51 PM »
I have been having a rough pregnancy so I have been going to a local hospital ran by the NHS and they haven't asked for any money or to see my visa. I don't have a finance visa yet, I am here on my vistors still and I was wondering if they might send my spouse a bill because they did take his name and address. They have even given me my next app. to see the midwife next week.
OK. Sorry, I just reread this and dont quite understand. You are here on your visitor's visa because you dont have your fiance visa but you are wondering if they will send your spouse a bill? Are you married or not?

If Im not mistaken when I was treated on my visitors visa but had to show proof of temp residency.

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 09:23:12 PM »
I'm actually surprised that some people have acted as if not getting a bill is perfectly acceptable and that dannygirl should just go about her business.  She's not entitled to NHS care until she has her settlement visa.  Encouraging her to just continue right along, IN MY OPINION, is shocking and irresponsible.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 09:32:20 PM »
You're entitled to your opinion Kristi, but didn't we deal with this elsewhere? It is up to the individual doctor/hospital to decide what she is entitled to.  If someone is intending to remain in the UK long term, they can be eligible for NHS care, so what is the big deal? You probably haven't paid as much National Insurance as me over the years but that doesn't mean you're less entitled to NHS care than I am. It's a universal system. 

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 09:33:35 PM »
I'm actually surprised that some people have acted as if not getting a bill is perfectly acceptable and that dannygirl should just go about her business. She's not entitled to NHS care until she has her settlement visa. Encouraging her to just continue right along, IN MY OPINION, is shocking and irresponsible.

What would you suggest she do?  Stop getting prenatal treatment?  Hand the mystified midwife money at her next visit?
If you think she'll be billed, then what's wrong with waiting to get a bill?  I paid for some of my prenatal care here (US).  I was sent a bill.  I went to my appointments and paid my bill when I got it.  In what way is dannygirl doing something wrong by continuing to see a doctor-certainly the most responsible thing for a pregnant woman to do-and waiting to get a bill?  She's not refusing to pay for treatment if she is billed, and she didn't lie to them and say she was a citizen to get free treatment.  What exactly is she doing that is so wrong?

They asked her if she intends to become resident and she said yes-surely they know their responsibilities, and the regulations for whom is entitled to care, better than any of us do?  They must have asked for a NIH number and been told she doesn't have one.

IN MY OPINION, telling a pregnant woman to cease getting prenatal care is shocking and irresponsible.

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 09:38:25 PM »

IN MY OPINION, telling a pregnant woman to cease getting prenatal care is shocking and irresponsible.

I never said she should stop getting prenatal care.  That was your leap, not mine.  It's not difficult to say to the doctor or midwife, "I don't have my visa yet.  I'm not eligible for NHS so I need to pay for my services."  That's my opinion. 

And FWIW Liz, it has nothing to do with denying people care.  dannygirl isn't eligible for NHS until AFTER she's applied for her visa.  I did the right thing.  I got a visa before I entered the country.  I'm eligible for NHS, just as any other person who has the proper documents.

Sponsored Links