Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Are you a "druggie"  (Read 3936 times)

• Liked: 2
Are you a "druggie"
« on: February 15, 2005, 08:38:33 AM »
Got a headache --- do you take an aspirin?

Stomachache?  Pepto Bismol? (or Tums!!)

Cold?  Dose up on Night/Day Nurse?

Hayfever -- do you run for the benedryl or Allerest?

Do you TIGER BALM?

I do!  My new associates are MOST definitely NON-druggie and they've been hacking and sneezing all over EVERYTHING (no worries -- I've built a forcefield of DETTOL!)
One had to go to the doctor yesterday and got a flippin' Rx -- so you know she's been incubating cooties for the past 4 days! (No - I don't believe "caring is sharing!")

What gets me is -- I'm deemed a "drug addict".  WTF?!  If I've got a headache -- you bet I'm gonna get a couple tylenol down my gullet -- I've got junk to do and I don't want to be slowed down my some jackhammer IN my head.  (Don't make me going into the the once every 28 days thing either!  >:(  )

Re: Are you a "druggie"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 09:44:52 AM »
I'm a total junkie!  My medicine cabinet is fully stocked and I make sure e/thing is still w/i its expiry date.  Headache?  Why limit yourself to asprin when there is such a wealth of drugs out there - my fav is the Exedrin I have brought to me by visitors, but Anadin will do in a pinch.  Stomachache - depends on what kind.  There's Zantac, Gaviscon, Gaviscon Advance, Immodium, and Alka-Seltzer.  PMT medication for bloating and PMT headaches, Germolene creme and spray, and don't even get me started on the amount of sinus/hayfever drugs I have to hand! 

I have an entire storage container (with keyed locks to keep wee one out) in the loo. 

Work smarter, not harder!

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 10:20:57 AM »
That would be me!!!!  But I have stopped now because I use way too much!  I have  not been happy for two weeks now!  But a drug addict, I think NOT!!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 10:25:17 AM »
No, I tend to think that some medicine just masks the symptons, makes them worse or that you build up a tolerance/reliance to them.  If I have a headache, it's quite often a sign of dehydration or tiredness, so I try to keep an eye on those things. 
I have chronic sinusitis, but have found that overuse of sudafed just leads me to sinus infections.  I will use a clariton if I know I'm going to be outside or around polution all day and I have to take travel-sickness meds to ward off migraines when I'm traveling. 
But other than that, I try really hard not to take much. 

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 10:39:30 AM »
I never used to be but after I had Jack via c/section I had a long,horrible recovery. I was popping Ibuprofen, paracetamol and codeine everyday for two months. Then I got really really sick. Seems I developed a peptic ulcer from taking so many pills on an empty stomach so now I'm pretty away of what I take. I really have to be dying before I pop a pill.

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 12:50:59 PM »
my brit bf said I was  "druggie" too. All b/c I have on hand just about everything necessary in case I need it. Such as tylenol (nighttime, regular and sinus/cold), pepto tablets, gas pills, advil etc...

I take it only when necessary, but you never know when that can be, so I try to keep it all in one bottle w/ me at most times.

I guess b/c I insist he takes pain pills instead of moaning and groaning to me that I am a druggie!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »

Headache?  Why limit yourself to asprin when there is such a wealth of drugs out there - my fav is the Exedrin I have brought to me by visitors, but Anadin will do in a pinch.

Excedrin is a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned. While the doctors where prescribing me propranolol and caffregot for my migraines (neither of which worked and one of which made me feel like I had morning sickness ON TOP of a migraine) my mom suggested Excedrin and I've never looked back. Anadin Extra will do ok if I happen to be out of Excedrin, but it doesn't do quite the same job.

When I've a cold or flu or prescribed meds I'm good about taking them, but ordinary, everyday meds I tend to  to be rather lax about.
I know I'm late - where's the booze?

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 01:00:12 PM »
I used to take quite a bit of ibuprofen (not on an empty stomach though!) but I have cut back recently, especially since I now have proper migraine Rx. I have big American bottles of ibuprofen and rolaids. I have a UK bottle of pepto for rare needs and always have (sorry) immodium on hand (IBS).

DH hates taking pills of any kind but now has to take regular allergy meds.

I've been called a druggie for taking the ibuprofen and also for taking 'too many vitamins' which were a multi, cod liver oil, and folic acid.  ::) Whatever!

Oh, used to take Excedrin Migraine for, well, migraines, but I always needed 2 and that would upset my stomach even if I'd eaten. If I'm out of my prescrip, I take boots migraine pills with codeine but have to take 3 rather than the directed 2.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 01:09:59 PM »
I tend to think that some medicine just masks the symptons, makes them worse or that you build up a tolerance/reliance to them. 

I definitely believe you can build up a tolerance. My in-laws are fond of revealing how many Advil, Tylenol etc. they take, as if it's a competition, and I'm left thinking, "well, you either need to call Guinness about your record-breaking headache, or realise that the drugs ain't working anymore".

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 01:28:22 PM »
Mr Nibbles your ticker cracks me up!!!! LOL

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 01:34:13 PM »
I'll do it, too!

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 02:49:09 PM »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 02:53:38 PM »
I'm considered the "walking chemist" at work because no matter how small the handbag, it will have aspirin, ibuprofen, paracetemol, Rennies and anti-bacterial hand gel.  Sometimes I even manage to stuff some Sudafed in as well... ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 02:58:18 PM »
stuff some Sudafed

No pun intended, I'm sure.  [smiley=shy.gif]

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 02:59:19 PM »
Of course not!  8)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."