Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 118830 times)

• AAGGGHH!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 01:03:23 AM »
Ok, got a response from my recruitment agency.  Nice woman, she said that the DipSW is a diploma after all (what I said earlier) but that it is lower than a BSW.  A QSW is a qualified social worker, which is a BSW or MSW.  And she is not sure of the CQSW.  It might be clinical.  So, she is getting back to me about that. 

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 02:07:43 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. I was reading the GSCC application earlier and I had to read some things several times to get the meaning. It's English but not "American English"  I guess their version is probably right :)
Crystal, I'm in Mississippi
-belle-

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 12:24:24 PM »
Sorry, I don't know why I thought you were in Florida. 

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 03:12:06 PM »
Thanks so much for that info....my head has been so filled with other things (visa, selling house, packing) that getting a job has sort of been just put on hold.....I also told fiance that I needed a month or so to "settle" when I get there (though I doubt that will happen)   ;)  I realize I need to start getting this stuff sorted out though and I will look at that website and get the forms sent to me.  Last year I went over to the UK to do an MA in history (my favorite part of working with old people has always been  hearing the stories about the past) and I'd still like to do it someday, but for now I know I have to work!!  Hopefully when I actually get there and get a job, I will be able to help you both out a bit more by giving you the real scoop on what it is like to actually work as a social worker in the UK!   :)

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »
PS- I would take humidity over this any day- we have a Nor'easter forecasted for tomorrow....15- 20" of snow AND I don't have a snowblower!   :\\\'(

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2005, 11:15:18 PM »
Got an e-mail from my recruitment agency stating that the GSCC verification is taking a little over 2 months from when you send in your application!!  So, this is good news, but give yourself more time because you never know.   ;)

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 03:02:29 AM »
Howdy from Texas

I just wanted to introduce myself.  I have read you guys previous posts and wanted yalls take on the interviewing and application process.  I have an interview for UK social work (obviously) next month.

I am currently in 10 hours of grad school left.  I have employed by the State of Texas Child Protective Services for the last 6 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 10:55:14 AM »
Did you register with GSCC yet?  You have to register your degree to work starting April 2005.  Are you leaving grad school?  What do you mean you have an interview?  Are you flying to the UK?

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 10:57:10 AM »
The Wednesday "Society" section of the Guardian is partially devoted to SW, so reading its back issues on-line might also be helpful

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 11:04:56 AM »
Thanks Lightbulb. 

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2005, 11:56:16 AM »
I still need to apply for my GSCC verification!  I've gotten so bogged with my last week of work (my residents are throwing a "surprise" going away party for me tomorrow- awww!), packing up the house, stressing over his documents arriving, etc etc......I have to get my act together and get those papers sent to me.  Will definitely request them today!  It's good to know about the Guardian- I do generally read it while in England, so I'll make sure to pick up a copy on Wednesdays.  Hope you are all having a good week.   :)

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2005, 04:12:36 PM »
AF,

I have an interview scheduled in Arlington, TX. next month.  Evidently, a recruiting service sent out malings to all MSW students.  I received notice and replied back with my normal resume.  They contacted me and desired an actual face to face.  Talking with some of my fellow students there are about a dozen or so that are interviewing with the same recruiting service.

As far as Grad School goes, there is no way that I am going to drop out.  I am so close to graduating and dropping out would be foolish.

I am just wonder what yalls take is regarding the number of position openings in UK.  Here in Texas we are facing an increase in attrition and burnout.  Finacially speaking the pay isnt that much more according to some of the web sites I have searched.  Around 35-45K pounds.   Please correct me if I am wrong.

Then there is the husband thing.  My husband would enjoy moving over however, looking for employment in his chosen profession might be difficult.  BS in Healthare Admin.  any suggestins there?

So with being asked, what is motivating you guys to make the trek?

SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005, 09:26:33 PM »
My future husband- I am going there because he is there.   ;)

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005, 09:40:16 PM »
smcjbc,
     Check with the recruitment agency first about your husband being able to come with you.  I am sure he is able to, but I remember someone else I go to school with saying there was a problem about that.  What recruitment agency are you interviewing with?  I've read that one out of every ten jobs is open in the SW field in the UK.  Also, the system is so different (so I hear).  But I guess you can get that just going state to state in the USA.  I am not in the UK yet (will be in July) so all my information is from websites and my recruitment agency.  I think you might start off making around that much or less, depending on experience.  It just depends on what field of SW you go into in the UK and if the city/town you work in is metropolitan or what. 

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2005, 12:21:31 AM »
Hi,
I am a social worker in Everett Washington and I am just beginning the process of looking for a job in the UK.  What advice can you give me?  What agency did you go through?  I would really like whatever help you can provided.  thanks a bunch.  Sylvia

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab