Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling all Social Workers  (Read 119106 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Calling all Social Workers
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2005, 07:29:07 PM »
I have read recently on several web sites that social workers are on "the list" to be eligible for the HSMP. Does anyone know if this is true because I can't seem to verify this on any UK gov't sites. I am hoping to get a HSMP visa so I can work as a locum during my first few months in the UK. TIA....
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »
If you're coming over on a work permit, your husband will need the visa for the spouses of work permit holders.  I don't think coming over as a tourist would be the appropriate thing to do since there is a specific visa available for his situation.  If you do decide to stay longer, he'll need that visa anyway.  If he's just here as a tourist and wants/needs to stay longer than 6 months, he'll have to go back to the US to apply for the work permit spouse visa.

The agency that I'm going through, UK Pro, advised that he just get a passport not a visa.  Also on the British Embassy website under "Do I need a visa?" it says if you're visiting for up to 6 months to just get a passport.  Can you tell me where I can get information on the visa for a spouse of a work permit holder?

Alyson

• Liked: 8
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2005, 08:00:28 AM »
The agency that I'm going through, UK Pro, advised that he just get a passport not a visa. Also on the British Embassy website under "Do I need a visa?" it says if you're visiting for up to 6 months to just get a passport. Can you tell me where I can get information on the visa for a spouse of a work permit holder?

Alyson

It's true that US citizens can come over for 6 months on a passport alone, if they're visitors/tourists. BUT, your husband will be coming over as your dependant -- not on holiday.

Here's the site for work visa dependants: 

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/other_show.asp?SarticleType=25&Other_ID=340

It's important that your husband's presence in the UK be linked with your presence...otherwise, he'll just be here as a visitor/tourist and you might encounter a situation where he NEEDS to be listed as your dependant.

EDIT:  I've just read another of your threads which says you're coming over on BUNAC.  If that's the case, you'll need to check with them to see if your spouse is allowed to come over with you on your blue card.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 08:23:16 AM by Lola »

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2005, 12:57:06 PM »
Hello All,  Ok April is finally here and my interview with TTM (recruitment agency) and Croydon Council is tommorrow in Arlington, TX.  I am so overwhelmed and excited at the same time.....any last minute advice or words or encouragement?  Thanks for any support or information you can provide....

Sheila
SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2005, 06:17:24 PM »
Good luck!

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2005, 03:38:16 AM »
 :)Hello all,

Just wanted to let you guys know how the interview went on Tuesday.  I arrived in Arlington, Texas on Monday night, hoping to get a good night rest before my big day.  But to my suprise, I never realized how excited and pumped I was to be finally interviewing.  My day started with a two hour "mini" orientation to the roles and responsibilities of social work in the UK.  Our orientation covered British social care laws.  Although I did review the child care act and no child left behind there was so much to digest.  Having to get aqainted with UK laws compared to Texas laws was much different.  Not only did I have to answer questions relating to one or two cases that the Croydon Council was currently working, I had to answer how I would handle the cases as well.  In addition, I had to document a case to determine if I meet the qualificatins for a Senior level position.  Overall it went extremely well, so I thought.

Today I received the call I had been waiting for since the interview.  I was offered a position with Croydon Council.  I will be making additional contact monday to work our additional details.

Now that this has become a reality I have some major life changing decisions to make now for me and my family.  Most people that I know say its a chance in a life time and for me to take it because I will regret it if I miss out on this opportunity. 

Any advice from anyone.........

Sheila
SMCJBC

Social Workers in London
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2005, 04:38:58 AM »
Hello All,

I am just about to graduate from Arizona State University with my MSW.  I would like to work in the London.  Can anyone give me some tips on finding a job or the process?  Any help would be great! 

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2005, 06:19:21 AM »
WOW!!!! Congrats Sheila! I agree that it is a chance of a lifetime but you must make a decision that is best for you and your family. Good Luck and congratulations again. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2005, 01:29:42 PM »
Selena:
        I think if you read all the posts you will see some names of recruitment agencies.  I am going with UK Pro and another social worker just got a job offer from Croydon Council, so just do a google search for recruitment agencies and look at all the information they give you.  I think some companies do it differently.

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2005, 03:07:55 PM »
Selena this should be some help for you.  The amount of Social Work employment in the UK is comparible to the Nursing shortage we are having here in the states.(well at least here in Texas)

http://www.socialworkjobs.org.uk/

http://www.socialcarecareers.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 03:12:10 PM by smcjbc »
SMCJBC

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2005, 10:33:01 PM »
Are you coming throught TTM? We've been here a week. If they are handling it, you'll be fine.

Donna

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2005, 12:40:26 AM »
Donna, I am being recruited by TTM, the person is Kate Woods.  If I decide to take the leap of faith then I will be working in Croydon, London.  So far they have been really helpful and nice.  So are you planning on working while over in the UK bc that is the biggest concern for us right now is that will my husband be able to work once we get over there.  Please share some more of  your experiences good or bad, I would love to hear about them and maybe it will help me make up my mind.

SC
SMCJBC

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:25 PM »
Any other Social Workers being recruited or have been recruited moving to the UK?  Just curious.  Moving in Jan 06.  Know some other SW moving this summer who was recruited with me.  Was recruited by TTM.  So far they have been great and helpful.  Any additional takes on this company or other companies?

Sheila
SMCJBC

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2005, 09:26:31 PM »
Hi – I can’t seem to pull myself away from my computer and reading all the posts! I love this website. I was recruited by TTM and definitely recommend this agency. Debbie Tompkins has been so helpful and supportive. I was working with another agency at first and there is a big difference. Won’t mention any names. I will be working in Swindon  - planning to move the end of August and work for Children and Families. Anyone out there from or moving to Swindon? I am excited but very nervous as well. Lots to take care of at this end. My biggest worry is my old dog - who I will be bringing with me. She will have to go into quarantine for two months.

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2005, 10:44:12 PM »
I can't think of anyone moving to Swindon working in social work.  But if you're ever in London, give me a shout-maybe we could have some tea and discuss the differences in the children and family systems between London and Swindon.  I'm sure I will be very curious if there are any differences-which I'm sure there will be. 

Sponsored Links