Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: List of UK Jobs in Demand  (Read 99543 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: List of UK Jobs in Demand
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
Thankyou everyone for your help this really saves me time and energy

• Liked: 533
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
If they are trained and experienced, then yes, it could be said they are more qualified.

Do you think anyone in Britain today sounds like Queen Elizabeth I?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
The point is that there are plenty of trained and qualified individuals doing this job in the UK.

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
Perhaps.

But I would throw a flag if a person went in to audition for a role, nailed it - accent included - and then was told they couldn't have the job just because they were an immigrant. That would be wrong.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:04 PM »
I would think most people would find that wrong. But that's not what the question was asking.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
Anything is possible.

Actually, no, some things are impossible. That is simply objective fact, despite the militant optimism characteristic in the USA.

The point that you are American and therefore would not do a good job as Queen Elizabeth is shaky. I would hope, given that today we see things like Idris Elba being talked about for the James Bond role, that there is room for inclusiveness.

No one is saying she couldn't do a good job. We're saying that no one in the UK will be able to hire her unless they can't find anyone else in the UK or EU who could do the job, and that contingency seems pretty remote. Also, I'm not sure why your example about a British man being considered for a British role is applicable. You know Idris Elba is British, right?

Tangetially, it really winds me up when people say "Anything is possible." That implies that if someone is unable to do something, it is that person's fault and not simply the result of circumstances. Some things are impossible, and people need to recognise that. No one is saying the OP shouldn't try, but if she does she should be prepared for failure that is not her fault. It may be that what she wants to do isn't possible, and telling her it is is unhelpful, and I think actually cruel if it creates false hope or makes her feel bad because she can't manage to make it happen. People need to have realistic expectations, whatever their aspirations may be.

/rant

ETA:
Perhaps.

But I would throw a flag if a person went in to audition for a role, nailed it - accent included - and then was told they couldn't have the job just because they were an immigrant. That would be wrong.

If they were already legally in the UK then you would have a point. But this is a question of sponsoring a visa. Apples and oranges.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
Surely you can understand that there's no way you would be more qualified as a living history interpreter than someone who is British

If we are talking about qualifications - then yes, an American can certainly be more qualified for a role as Queen Elizabeth I (or II). They can have better training and experience.

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2015, 02:11:15 PM »
If we are talking about qualifications - then yes, an American can certainly be more qualified for a role as Queen Elizabeth I (or II). They can have better training and experience.

Of course they can. But there are plenty of trained and qualified people already doing this job in the UK.

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Tangetially, it really winds me up when people say "Anything is possible."

And rubs me a little wrong when people slam doors a little too quickly.

I think I have stated that there would possibly be local applicants.

How do we know there are plenty of people out there trained in this field?

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
Also, I'm not sure why your example about a British man being considered for a British role is applicable. You know Idris Elba is British, right?

There are some who say, for some reason, that he would not be right for the role. I think he would be great.

It would also not bother me to go to the Tower of London and hear a person from Japan or New Jersey acting as a town crier.

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
To Helena. For clarity's sake, I do not wish to fill you with false hopes. It is true that you would face competition from UK and EU citizens. It may be a very crowded field with a very slim chance of securing an offer or a visa.

• Britannicaine
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
And rubs me a little wrong when people slam doors a little too quickly.

Telling people honestly how things are is not slamming doors. The door has already been slammed, bolted, and barred from the other side. You're trying to tell the OP that they should try tunneling under the door, because come on, nothing is impossible! Put your back into it!

It would also not bother me to go to the Tower of London and hear a person from Japan or New Jersey acting as a town crier.

Honestly, that would bother me. If I come all the way to London from Japan, I don't want to see Japanese people at the famous landmarks, I want to see British ones. That's why I came. Similarly, when I lived in Japan I was pleased not to see Americans dressed as samurai at Osaka castle.

I am an EFL teacher here in the UK, and I have had students complain that if they wanted to learn American English, they'd have gone to America. Fair enough, and I teach them British vocabulary and pronunciation. If I'd needed a visa for my job, I would not have been granted one. That's just the facts.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2015, 02:46:46 PM »
Telling people honestly how things are is not slamming doors. The door has already been slammed, bolted, and barred from the other side. You're trying to tell the OP that they should try tunneling under the door, because come on, nothing is impossible! Put your back into it!

What I am doing is giving Helena the benefit of the doubt in regards to her intelligence.  There are 500 million EU inhabitants. I am assuming she can sort out that there will be quite a few people who are interested in historical interpretation. But she may well be the Meryl Streep of historical interpretation. I don't know.

• Britannicaine
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
Yeah, but what you're not grasping is that this isn't a question of qualifications or relative skill. She may be brilliant at her job, but that doesn't matter. She won't get a visa if there's anyone else legally in the UK who CAN do the job, even if not as well.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »
What I am doing is giving Helena the benefit of the doubt in regards to her intelligence.  There are 500 million EU inhabitants. I am assuming she can sort out that there will be quite a few people who are interested in historical interpretation. But she may well be the Meryl Streep of historical interpretation. I don't know.

I did a quick search for these types of jobs. I found one with a salary of about £10 per hour. I don't think it's likely that the organizations that employ the people in these positions are going to be sponsoring visas for non-UK workers.

Sponsored Links