Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 411089 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4590 on: December 04, 2017, 02:11:24 PM »
Oh, we could, and we have been discussing what sort of "outdoor kitchen" design we want since last spring.  We just haven't done it yet, and Sunday afternoon, when we needed it, was too late.  If we'd even just had one of those pop-up gazebos made from tent canvas and a folding frame, we could have put that up.  But we'll build something.  Eventually.  We are so disorganized! :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4591 on: December 08, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
Friday!

1.) Proper snow!  Snowing heavily (last night, today, overnight, tomorrow) and it feels quite Christmassy.  [smiley=elf.gif]

2.) Supposed to go to an ABBA party night tonight with my hubby, his boss and his boss's partner. (Basically, his work Christmas night out) But it's in the Cairngorm National Park, so just need to see how the weather influences this.  O0

3.) My crazy work Christmas night out tomorrow night.   [smiley=crown.gif]

4.) I personally can't go too crazy though, as driving up to Caithness on Sunday to play a gig.  (weather permitting again)  [smiley=hat.gif]

5.)  Gearing up for more busyness next week -December is manic.  [smiley=mad.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4592 on: December 08, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
2.) Supposed to go to an ABBA party night tonight with my hubby, his boss and his boss's partner. (Basically, his work Christmas night out) But it's in the Cairngorm National Park, so just need to see how the weather influences this.  O0

I am not too proud to admit that I think an ABBA party sounds like great fun.  I hope the weather cooperates so you can go... assuming you're looking forward to it, too.

My five:

1.  My husband is home tonight!  Yay!

2.  No word yet from the interview (two weeks tomorrow, but I know they had a few more interviews last week, so it's only been a week of sifting and deliberating so far), but I am hopeful that my #1 slot soon won't be taken up with announcing that my husband is coming home every Friday.  Fingers are still crossed.

3.  My husband and I personify anything with eyes.  Our slow-cooker, a rock, the zombies,... they have 'life' to us.  Four years ago, I came across a crafty thing using a brown towel to make a Domo-kun plush, so I made one.  The day after I presented him to my husband, "Domo" gave me a card that said "Thank you for making me.  I am very happy in my new home."  (The handwriting looked suspiciously like my husband's, but that proves nothing!)  On Wednesday when I was placing the grocery order "Domo" saw something that my husband would like and insisted I buy it.  ;)  Then "Domo" wrapped it up in pawprint gift wrap.  And now "Domo" can't wait 'til my husband is home to give it to him.

4.  On Wednesday night, around 10pm, my MIL emailed to let us know that my FIL's 70th birthday is Sunday, and my FIL's parents (who live in the same city as them and we see almost as often as we see my MIL&FIL) will be coming over for tea tomorrow.  We have been asked to join them... with effectively two days' notice.  And it's not like we can say no... it's his 70th.  My husband lives for his brief weekends, and now we're going to spend 4 hours of this one driving to Bristol and back, and who knows how long at my in-laws'.  It's only three weeks to Christmas, and I'm certain that we would see them then.  But 70th.  Can't say no.  :/

5.  The temperature outside is very similar to what it was exactly a year ago, when I first moved into our house, but the temperature inside is so much cozier.  A lot of that has to do with the (two) strategically-placed space heaters.  But a lot also has to do with our dehumidification efforts over the past year.  There is still new damp seeping through the blown-out-render wall, and there's obviously a leak somewhere in the bathroom, but overall, the moisture level in the house has reduced significantly.  We are going to win this war!  RAWR!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4593 on: December 08, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »
Friday Five:

1. Woke up to 2" of snow. I live in subtropical Houston so it was indeed a surprise! It was 81F on Monday. I've also come to the realization that I don't own long-sleeves shirts or socks!!

2. Helped my husband out last night at a corporate event. He's an event photographer and also owns a photo booth. His helper has the flu so I went in her place at the booth. I have a new-found respect for the guy. I got to see him work and he's very good at what he does and it's amazing that he is loving his work. He still has 15 more events for December too. He officially retired from 30 years in the telecoms industry and it was the right choice to follow his passion. I'm all gooey-eyed with him today. After nearly 22-years of marriage, that is kinda nice

3. The Netflix series "The Crown" has a new season so my butt is on the couch with Bailey's on tap. Yay!

4. My sister has just informed me that she is visiting me in Houston next week. I saw her last in 2013 but I always go to her. She has NEVER visited me in any place I have lived away from home in 27 years! I'm so happy

5. I'm making a stew today. It will make a nice change not to have to crank up the a/c to make it feel like "stew weather".

It's a happy Friday all around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4594 on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »
Friday Five:

1. Woke up to 2" of snow. I live in subtropical Houston so it was indeed a surprise! It was 81F on Monday. I've also come to the realization that I don't own long-sleeves shirts or socks!!

2. Helped my husband out last night at a corporate event. He's an event photographer and also owns a photo booth. His helper has the flu so I went in her place at the booth. I have a new-found respect for the guy. I got to see him work and he's very good at what he does and it's amazing that he is loving his work. He still has 15 more events for December too. He officially retired from 30 years in the telecoms industry and it was the right choice to follow his passion. I'm all gooey-eyed with him today. After nearly 22-years of marriage, that is kinda nice

3. The Netflix series "The Crown" has a new season so my butt is on the couch with Bailey's on tap. Yay!

4. My sister has just informed me that she is visiting me in Houston next week. I saw her last in 2013 but I always go to her. She has NEVER visited me in any place I have lived away from home in 27 years! I'm so happy

5. I'm making a stew today. It will make a nice change not to have to crank up the a/c to make it feel like "stew weather".

It's a happy Friday all around!

I don't have a like button, and I'm too lazy to sort out the link to fake one, so I'll just say I like your post.  Every item made me smile.  Happy Friday!

• Liked: 20
« Reply #4595 on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
1.  It's Friday.. it's been a rough week all the way around

2.  I love her dearly, but the wife has just left town until Sunday afternoon, so I have the place to myself... yay!

3.  I can have seafood for dinner (See point #2)

4.  Someone else volunteered to chaperone the youth group I work with at an event this weekend, so I'm off the hook (See point #2)

5. I get to do some xmas decorating to make our place more festive, always a treat!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4596 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »
1.  Met with a friend this morning and she really opened up to me about something.  She’s been unable to tell anyone or talk to anyone about it.  I’m so sad for what she’s dealing with but am humbled that she knows she can trust me.

2.  Still no news on one of the jobs.  This would never fly in the USA!   ;D

3.  My cat is purring like a mad man right now.   [smiley=smitten.gif]

4.  No plans this weekend other than the usual (ballet, tap, and swimming)

5.  Husband is out tonight.  While I would normally relish a night in on my own, I’ve been a bit lonely this week and sad that he’s out tonight (don’t worry I won’t let on)

« Reply #4597 on: December 08, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
JF, that’s so annoying!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4598 on: December 08, 2017, 06:35:45 PM »
1.  Shite week at work.
2.  Work Xmas do tomorrow night, and i'm just not feeling it.
3.  Christmas tree is up.
4.  some of the deccies on the tree are not exactly Christmas ornaments... I've got dangly earrings, silver bracelets and an irridescent beaded necklace on there too.
5.  Last night we watched a documentary about the Clydebank Blitz. I work in Clydebank, and drive those streets constantly...was strange and humbling seeing those places in a new light today.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4599 on: December 11, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
ABBA party night was brilliant. Cracking evening. Had an amazing time. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4600 on: December 11, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »
ABBA party night was brilliant. Cracking evening. Had an amazing time.

I can't imagine it being anything less than brilliant!

Meanwhile, my trip to the in-laws was surreal, as always.  This time, they served a roasted ham for our meal.  They didn't use honey or pineapple or mustard or Coke, or anything, to flavor it.  They just put the ham in the oven and cooked it.  Then they took it out, sliced it up, and served it.

WITH GRAVY!  I expected the bland ham and was not surprised by that.  But when the gravy was brought out, I looked around in confusion, wondering how it was produced.  When my husband said, "I have not had gravy with ham before" (much to my relief!), my MIL said she made it "from the meat drippings".  But... it was a ham!  And it wasn't cooked with anything!  The only drippings you get from ham is fat.  Just pure fat.

And the kicker?  That gravy looked and tasted exactly the same as the gravy they produce when they roast a turkey or beef.  It's kind of a light putty colour, tastes of flour and water and not enough salt.  And they served it with ham.  I watched my husband pour it all over his ham slices, and I was like "nope".  I poured some on a bare patch of my plate and dipped my potatoes in it.  With a little more salt, it might've been palatable on the veg. But on ham?  Really?

All the way home (~2 hours!), I was like, "ham and gravy" and then we'd laugh.

Oh my, it made that glass of Prosecco we had with our meal absolutely vital.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4601 on: December 11, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
Interesting, I never thought Ham and Gravy was a weird thing.  I quite like it.
Did she use Bisto or something? (But then it would have been salty)

Used to get ham and red-eye gravy in the Southern USA, yummy!
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4602 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
Interesting, I never thought Ham and Gravy was a weird thing.  I quite like it.
Did she use Bisto or something? (But then it would have been salty)

Used to get ham and red-eye gravy in the Southern USA, yummy!

No... she used the "meat drippings" from the unseasoned, unmarinated, unbasted ham, flour, and water.  Bisto would've given it a flavour.  I have determined she does not like food.  She eats to survive, but food does not bring her any sort of pleasure.  And she returns the favour by mistreating it.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #4603 on: December 11, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »
Yeah, that sounds a bit gross then!   :-X
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4604 on: December 15, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
1.  Had a full day of interviews yesterday and I’m through to the next round (final 2).  However, Final 2 is the story of my life lately, so fingers crossed.  I suspect the next round won’t be until after Christmas (with the board so I suspect there will be several on holiday next week).

2.  Been a horrible week with the whole family ill, particularly the baby.  I am sooooooo over us being unhealthy.  It’s been a bad autumn health wise!

3.  Managed to sneak out after the kiddos were in bed last night to the new wine bar in town with a couple of friends.  They are British and ALL think I’m still not out at Oracle even though I haven’t heard a peep this week.  Interesting.  I’m sure I’m out! 

4.  Christmas at Kew tomorrow which we always enjoy!

5.  I have so much to do next week before my parents arrive and I need to get my butt moving!

Sponsored Links