Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410804 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7065 on: June 14, 2019, 08:07:00 AM »
1.  Bought a bag of popping corn and a hot air corn popper on Amazon yesterday, and they'll be arriving today!   Popcorn at mine tonight, with lashings of real melted butter!!

2.  Been selling off my vinyl LPs and listed some of them on the work's intranet notice-board thing.  I'm selling them pretty cheap, and so I said they had to be collected in Clydebank ONLY... I don't want the hassle of posting them, or anything else.  But this one girl BEGGED me to come into Glasgow and meet her before work this morning... 7am.  And she seemed nice and was falling over herself with gratitude when I agreed to meet her.  I drove 7 miles out of my way, into town, waited almost half an hour for her, and she never showed.  She is *SO* getting an email from me this morning!  >:(

3.  Had my home-check from the greyhound sanctuary, so just waiting for them to find me the right dog!  Could happen any day now!

4.  Salted chocolate coconut curls for breakfast... 49p in Home Bargains.

5.  Tried to start watching Black Mirror last night... just chose a couple of random episodes from series 1.  Maybe I picked the wrong episodes, but so far it's not going well.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7066 on: June 14, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
Oh Albatross.  #2 would piss me off soooooo bad.  but #3 makes me soooo happy!!!!

1.  Family photos finally scheduled for Sunday.  Really hoping the rain holds off for photos and we get some nice shots.  Also hoping it's not rescheduled as this has been my diet end date.  Ha ha! 

2.  Work is just INSANE at the moment.  The amount on my plate is crazy unrealistic and yet no one seems to understand this.

3.  Sobe has one more week on this "new" antibiotic.  It's awful on his tummy.  Added in a probiotic for him starting last night and hoping that helps.  Except he doesn't like the probiotic (paste) when apparently every cat in the world likes it.  Prayers, good thoughts, etc., that when the course of antibiotics is over that his UTI is clear.

4.  I've had a terrible terrible cold for over a week now.  Doesn't help with the work pressure to say the least.

5.  I'm going to have a DELICIOUS boozy brunch Sunday to celebrate the end of the extreme diet!!! 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7067 on: June 14, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »
I would be fuming as well about the no-show unless she had a VERY good reason (but I would've expected contact from her to say so). I liked the early episodes of Black MIrror buuuuuuut I would suggest trying to watch from season 3 (when it got picked up by Netflix and changed to more "realistic for the immediate future" type episodes that focus a lot on technology and their consequences). If you don't like Season 3 episodes after 1 or 2, THEN I would say give up (but definitely try them first!!). Also mmmmmmmmmm popcorn :D

My Friday 5:

1. Such positive news lately (with my dad) and it keeps getting better as I got the job offer for the place I interviewed at last week. Just pushed back on salary (which I think they'll go for based on what they said so far), but I'm just waiting for the offer to come through to my email so I can "properly review" (before accepting haha). I am keen to make this move really but will have to just double check the fine print first. If good news could keep coming, I'd be pleased....

2. Going to do some major Japan planning this weekend (husband and I agreed we aren't as far along with planning as we want to be). I enjoy the planning though. We don't tend to plan our holidays much, but we kind of have to with Japan.

3. Had a mate around last night who's also just bought a house and is in the same stage as us where we are planning what we want to be doing when we move in. We talked about all the smart tech for houses and he's advised me that IKEA are now going to be releasing automatic blinds (and that, apparently, they want to get into the smart tech market lol). Needless to say, I'm trying to convince Rik to go to IKEA with me this weekend as talking about IKEA has given me an itch to go! lol

4. Had a work party last night that was a "closing down" party. Only popped in for an hour or so but it was a good time. I've learned that apparently there's a game where you knock down coconuts off a pole thing and win a coconut if you do it....I thought it was pretty random, but when I came in the door, my husband was like "did you play the *somethings something* game?" (i don't remember the name) and I was like "....I guess so?...is that a real thing??". Had a laugh over it because I didn't realise it was an actual thing at fetes and I just don't understand how it became a thing!

5. Need to move boxes around. My parents are due here on the 24th (so only 2 more weekends!) and we need to clear out all the boxes we had put into the spare bedroom (thinking we'd be moving soon!) into another room to make the place ready for them. I feel like time is just going to fly....

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #7068 on: June 14, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »
KF (typed and posted before seeing yours) - Fingers crossed for you on the photos! I want you to get that amazing boozy brunch you deserve!!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #7069 on: June 14, 2019, 10:23:12 AM »
Friday five:

1) I was supposed to go to a walking group today in about an hour, but we did a pantry inventory this week and were low on a few things, so the Daughter made a huge vat of chicken tortilla soup and I've got a crock pot full of Caroll Shelby's chili gurgling. So that has to be done instead. (Poor planning on my part - I forgot what day it was yesterday.) We have all the canning jars out and cleaned and will be putting all of that up in jars later this morning, since it shouldn't really sit out any longer before being processed.  It's really handy to have pint jars of homemade ready-meals, basically, on the shelf. I think I'll just take a walk on my own later this afternoon. Hopefully it won't be pissing down rain then - it's sunny out now and beautiful walking weather.

2) So, we have the Daughter's fees residency thing sorted out for 2020 and onward. Still nothing on any of the other issues. I am half waiting for the HO to come screaming out of the blue with something unpleasant aimed at her. We still have not located a good immigration lawyer. The only one of like three I wrote to asking about fees and describing what we needed that responded seems more interested in the sale of the services than anything else. Hopefully it won't become immediately necessary to engage a lawyer. We really should have one identified in advance, just in case. I would feel just a bit more secure if I knew I could pick up the phone and call someone competent.

3) Have heard from several people in the States planning to come over to play tourist, this week. That's the first batch we've heard from in two years of our being here!  One is braving it at Christmastime to come over solo and wants to basically tour the entire British Isles in 10 days, a few days in each country. And wants to know what to see and how to get there. Hmmmmm.  8)  Given there will only be 8 hours of daylight and a lot of stuff will be closed, at least the available options are less than if they were coming next week. Will have to put my thinking cap on, for sure, on this one. They tell me they love trains, so that makes it a bit easier.

4) We need a trip out of town ourselves. I've been looking at places to go by bus and/or train where we can sort of get a B&B for a couple of nights, and spend a day or two looking through shops or visiting a garden or doing easy walking. Something very, very low key.  With a decent place to sleep and nice (not fancy) food available. So far I've come up with Kilmartin, which is a nice place and we've been there before. It would be very restful. There's also a town in southern Scotland that has several bookshops and we could spend a day browsing them. That, unfortunately, means like two trains and two buses. Really don't want the travel to be that complicated. Have to keep looking....  The Daughter applied for a driving license and had to send her EU Family Member card in, and until it's back we can't go abroad, so it'll have to be an "in country" trip, I think. I'd kinda like to go somewhere new, but want to be sure we can rely on the accommodation/town/transport being decent.

5) We have our first baby tomato on the Berkeley Tie-dye tomato bush in the windowsill. I bought stakes for both plants and spent some time tieing them up yesterday. I'd forgotten "tomato plant" smell - yuck! But the plants seem happy. It will be interesting to see how they do. We still have an elderly pepper plant in the window, that we bought in June 2017, that is producing peppers, and our last-year's cayennes are still cropping. This years' batch got hit bad with spider mites, so they are slowed down, but they are starting to come back along. The Jalepenos have a good dozen fruits started on them.  It's rather amazing how well peppers do here in Scotland!   I wish I had a yard, so I could put a nice poly tunnel up and grow a proper veg garden. Perhaps someday....

6) Ok, there's supposed to only be five, but as an aside, I find it's best to not look at the international news, right now. Since there's nothing I can do about any of it. I leave BBC4 on the radio overnight for the background drone effect (can't sleep otherwise, it's too quiet!) and every morning there's someone grilling someone else about Brexit and who will be PM. And how the UK is STILL not ready for a hard Brexit. Etc., etc., etc. It no longer has much of an impact, other than serving as the "it's time to get up now" klaxon. The same one or two hosts doing precisely the same format... chat up the guest, then push them with something uncomfortable, talk over them, etc., then change tone and thank them very much for coming on the show, to which the guest always replies politely, "well thank you for having me on" or some such. It's so predictable. Like a ticking alarm clock. Very little new, lots of talk, some arguments, "get a better Brexit deal", etc., etc., etc.  It's become a meaningless drone. With all the news going on everywhere else in the world right now, you'd think the morning drive show could talk about something other than their stock three or four internal, UK-only topics. (Brexit, universal credit, tower cladding, understaffed police, etc.)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7070 on: June 14, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
Yay Albatross on a doggie!  KFDancer, hope you feel better soon!  x0Kiss0fDeath, great news on the job!!!
Nan ,tell me your pepper secrets. I am hit or miss sometimes with peppers

Friday!

1.) Crazy busy week at work. Manic.    [smiley=mad.gif] [smiley=computer.gif]

2.) Got our team building all organised with a local animal shelter. Going and walking dogs, playing with kitties and other small animals,  and tidying up walking areas and pens and painting and helping with odd jobs at the shelter.  We are all super excited.  [smiley=smitten.gif]

3.)  Brass band gig tomorrow.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.)  Might actually have a dry day tomorrow. It's been 4 weeks of rain, rain, rain, rain.   We've got a new chicken run to build and garden and allotment jobs to do  [smiley=daisy.gif]

5.)  Slept like poo all week.  Probably an early night tonight. Rock and roll Friday.  [smiley=guitarist.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7071 on: June 14, 2019, 12:39:58 PM »
I liked the early episodes of Black MIrror buuuuuuut I would suggest trying to watch from season 3 (when it got picked up by Netflix and changed to more "realistic for the immediate future" type episodes that focus a lot on technology and their consequences). If you don't like Season 3 episodes after 1 or 2, THEN I would say give up (but definitely try them first!!). Also mmmmmmmmmm popcorn :D

Thanks for the tips... i'll try again!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7072 on: June 14, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »
My Friday Five:

1. My inconvenient annoyances from the other day are sorted now - my blocked toilet (and flush) was fixed on Tuesday (though the plumber got stuck in traffic and was 2 hours late) and I got notification from PayPal that my House of Fraser shoe refund was going through :).

2. Still on the subject of shoes, I've had my eye on some other (non-wedding) shoes from Irregular Choice and was planning to order them once I got back from my US trip, but then I saw on Wednesday afternoon they were having a flash sale, 20% off everything :). I put in the order (two colours, but different sizes) and paid extra for DPD before 11am delivery, but because it was after 1pm, they wouldn't be dispatched until the next day, meaning they'd arrive this morning... but I'm leaving for the airport this afternoon and that wouldn't give me much time to send one size/colour back. As per their website suggestion, I emailed them to ask if there was any way to get the shoes delivered any faster, and they were awesome - they got the package sent out Wednesday evening and the shoes were delivered to my house yesterday morning, which meant I could return one of the pairs this morning :). I got these ones: https://www.irregularchoice.com/womens/mid-heels/lady-ban-joe-g.html

3. I still haven't had much sleep this past week (I've averaged 4.5 to 5.5 hours a night for the last 10 nights) and am really tired right now... I ended up cancelling 3 spin classes this week because I was so tired it was making me lightheaded :(. I really hope I can catch up and destress while I'm away.

4. So much rain this week! When I left work yesterday morning, we had recorded 100 mm (3.94 inches) of rain in 72 hours... 35 mm of which fell during my night shift Wednesday night! The monthly average for June at our weather station is 54 mm (2.2 inches).

5. I've just checked in for my flights tomorrow (Manchester to Heathrow, Heathrow to LAX) and I'll be leaving for the train station in 2.5 hours - only packed this morning and was still buying things to take with me at 10:30am, so I have no idea if I have everything I need!

« Reply #7073 on: June 14, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »
5. I've just checked in for my flights tomorrow (Manchester to Heathrow, Heathrow to LAX) and I'll be leaving for the train station in 2.5 hours - only packed this morning and was still buying things to take with me at 10:30am, so I have no idea if I have everything I need!

hahah I'm the Queen of last minute packing so I totally get it. Don't panic! Just remind yourself that if you've forgotten anything, you can always pick it up once you're there. :) YOU'RE ALMOST ON HOLIDAY! YAY
My, how time flies....

« Reply #7074 on: June 14, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
Have a really good trip!

The West Coast is kind of in a heatwave right now, so if you like warm, you're gonna love it.

PhB - Let them dry out. Once the seedlings are large enough, put pepper plants in a big pot and stick it in a south-facing window. Water them only when they get droopy. When they are setting fruit, if you continue that - let them get dry before you water them (but not so dry the blossoms drop off) the peppers will be hotter, too.  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7075 on: June 14, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
PhB - Let them dry out. Once the seedlings are large enough, put pepper plants in a big pot and stick it in a south-facing window. Water them only when they get droopy. When they are setting fruit, if you continue that - let them get dry before you water them (but not so dry the blossoms drop off) the peppers will be hotter, too.  ;D

Thanks, I mostly do that. (only keep them in greenhouse).
 Maybe I am not quite brave enough to let them get completely droopy!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #7076 on: June 15, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
Hmmm. Well, I do water them almost exclusively with the water that I drain out weekly from my tropical fish tanks. It would have some minimal amounts of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in it. Perhaps it's just enough "extra" fertilizer?

• Liked: 104
« Reply #7077 on: June 18, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »
Welcome to Friday Five, elee27!  Good luck with your library interview, and I hope you are selected for an interview at Waterstone's!  But, really, I hope you get the library job.  Being a bookworm, the library job will mean more take-home pay (as opposed to take-home books instead of wages!).

I missed out on last Friday's activities since I was very busy entertaining my MIL and her dog over the weekend...and trying in vain to get all the dog hair out of the flat before the folks from the letting agent stop by today. 😂  I love dogs but forgot how much they shed!!

Anyway, just posted an update on my post on the job board but I got the job at Waterstones!! I'm very excited about it.  ;D ;D ;D
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

« Reply #7078 on: June 18, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
I missed out on last Friday's activities since I was very busy entertaining my MIL and her dog over the weekend...and trying in vain to get all the dog hair out of the flat before the folks from the letting agent stop by today. 😂  I love dogs but forgot how much they shed!!

Anyway, just posted an update on my post on the job board but I got the job at Waterstones!! I'm very excited about it.  ;D ;D ;D

Congrats on the job! :D
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
Friday Five!
« Reply #7079 on: June 21, 2019, 09:45:19 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  Awaiting the vet's call on Sobe's urine test today.  We stopped his antibiotics 3 days ago due to it just ripping his tummy to shreds.  Really hope he gets his sparkle back soon, now that we've stopped the antibiotic.  Really need to figure out how to clear this UTI so I have my boy for a lot longer.  I'm definitely fearing his mortality at the moment.  People, I've had this cat nearly half my life and I got him just after I moved out of my parents life.  He's been there for 2 marriages, a divorce, countless heartbreaks, 2 children, the introduction and loss of Copper, etc.  He's just always loved me and I've just always loved him.  I need him to stick around for like a million more years.

2.  Busy weekend ahead.  I'm a friend's backup to date #1 cancelling and date #2 cancelling for Billy Joel tomorrow.  I've told her I'm not sleeping with her.  Also have the school summer fair tomorrow and a birthday party on Sunday.

3.  I'm enjoying NOT being on my diet since Sunday.  Need to get back on the bandwagon soon but it's been soooo lovely having peanut butter toast for breakfast.

4.  Family photos selected.  Looking forward to getting the final images and updating the photos on the walls.   ;D

5.  I hope the sun sticks around for a few days!!!!

Bonus watermarked photo of my boy

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:48:18 AM by KFdancer »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab