Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410291 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7110 on: July 05, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
Yay, happy days Albatross. Hopefully Jimmy settles in quickly!
JFKimberly , what were you using for spicing?  How can we help you?
KFDancer, that will be an epic concert. Jealous! Have fun!!

Friday!!

1.) I was tasked with organising a team building activity for our team. We have to do community outreach for team building, so I organised a day at a local animal shelter. So we spent the day painting sheds and walking dogs. Walked a small sighthound (whippet? Italian greyhound?) who hated other dogs and enjoyed rolling in poo and a happy little beagle who had a very good temperment who loved his walkies.  It was a lovely day out.   [smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]

2.) 1st class tickets to ride the Jacobite Steam Train tomorrow (Harry Potter train).  My husband bought a gift card for my birthday in May 2018, and they were fully booked up for the 1st class seats in 2018. So I booked in January this year to get my date of July.  Crazy.  Weather looking okay (grey, but not raining) at least.  We love trains (got married on a steam train) so should be fun!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.)  Meeting up with friends on Sunday afternoon, where a friend is hosting a Sunday lunch. All sounds prim and proper, but trust me, there will be shenanigans.   [smiley=mad.gif]

4.)   Flying to London on Thursday morning, early, so my husband can attend an interview to become Chartered.  Fly home later that night.  We need him to become Chartered as it will greatly help him when he starts up his own business here shortly. [smiley=clover.gif]

5.) Supposed to go to the gym after work, except both of us forgot our gym kits.   ::) We don't live near the gym, it's in town and we're not ,so driving home to get them isn't an option.  We're actually gutted, because we like the gym.   [smiley=oops.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7111 on: July 05, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
Friday!

1) I'm supposed to be going to my walking group at 11. I'm going to be chin deep in a bubblebath instead. ;)

2) The Daughter is transferred to a different job in her shop to cover for a guy who lost it and walked out and is now on medical leave. We are both hoping she can continue on doing his job and they'll put him somewhere else, if he comes back, so that she doesn't have to do the tills anymore. In the meantime, she's a lot happier.

3) The MP's office is following up for us with UKVI to get a written statement about if the Daughter can work full-time without damaging her status in any way that would prevent her getting settlement later on. If she could work full-time, and find a position in her field, it would improve things for her quite a lot. The MP's said when they talked to the HO they had initially sent a letter saying she could, but when we sent back all the legal advice letters we had saying she can't, agreed that the letter from the HO was not enough. So they are going to get something on letterhead one way or the other. And if they say she can work, we'll chance it. If they later come back and say "nope", we'll leave.

4) The corys laid more eggs. The female is going to be unceremoniously moved back to the small tank, which she will share with a few of her tiny babies. And I've got to manage to find and get all the eggs out of the big tank or we're going to be up to our eyeballs in baby corys again. It looks like Rambo has  a teeeensy little sibling, at present. Hopefully only one.

5) I got my little "turns off by itself" electric tea kettle at John Lewis on clearance. It makes two cups in 3.5 minutes, and turns off. Exactly what I need. No more accidentally leaving the burner and going off on holiday.

[Chili - the magic ingredient is cumin, I've found. Texas Red chili doesn't have any tomatoes in it, so if you're going for that... but this recipe is pretty good anyway. https://www.marthastewart.com/315350/texas-red-chili  ]

[ENVIOUS of the Steam Train Ride! Enjoy!]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:29:00 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7112 on: July 05, 2019, 10:48:04 AM »
JFKimberly , what were you using for spicing?  How can we help you?

Okay, I started by finely dicing the beef chunks, then I browned it in a bit of olive oil and sprinkled it with asofoetida, tossed in some flour to coat, added smoked paprika (I think I used too much of this, and I normally used "paprika", not smoked paprika), cayenne, chile flakes, cumin, a bit of thyme, concentrated beef stock, a splash of port, and water.  Oh, and a bit of tomato puree... hmm.  It could have been that.  But I was light with everything except the smoked paprika, and when I went to taste it, it was really bitter.  So I tried to fix it... and that's where I lost track of things.  I tried a squirt of lime juice, and tasted it immediately and it seemed to be moving it in the right direction so I added more without waiting to see how the first squirt would do...  then I still wasn't happy, so I tried a sweet note, by adding a squirt of barbecue sauce.  Even without waiting for the BBQ sauce to develop, I can categorically say this was the wrong way to go.  It was at about this point that I realized I could not stop this disaster train, so I put the lid on the saucepan and walked away.  It was my husband's problem then.

I made a really good chilli once, about three chillis ago.  I just have no idea what I did.  This attempt was honestly the worst attempt ever.  I don't know how I go from near perfect to diabolical in such a short time.

1.) I was tasked with organising a team building activity for our team. We have to do community outreach for team building, so I organised a day at a local animal shelter. So we spent the day painting sheds and walking dogs.

2.) 1st class tickets to ride the Jacobite Steam Train tomorrow.  We love trains (got married on a steam train) so should be fun!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.)   Flying to London on Thursday morning, early, so my husband can attend an interview to become Chartered.  Fly home later that night.  We need him to become Chartered as it will greatly help him when he starts up his own business here shortly. [smiley=clover.gif]

That sounds like the best team-buikding activity ever! Much better than all the stupid stuff I've had to do.

And train!!!!  Have the best time!  I love that you got married on a steam train! That is so cool.  :)

Is it good luck or congratulations to your husband?  Is the interview a formality or a stop-gate?

FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!!!

1.  Tomorrow night I see STEVIE WONDER and LIONEL RICHIE in concert!

2.  The tickets were free from work!

3.  My brother has a photo on Facebook and he is wearing neon green crocs.  People, I can't believe we are related sometimes.

Have fun!  Free is my favourite price!

I do not understand crocs.  People who wear them say they're comfortable, but how is that possible?  They don't look comfortable.  At all.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 104
« Reply #7113 on: July 05, 2019, 01:00:40 PM »
1.  Been having such a nice time with my parents being over and have been able to introduce them to all my in-laws (my husband’s parents are divorced and both have new partners). And everyone has got along very well!

2. Drove home to Elgin via Glencoe/Fort William yesterday. I’ve been there once before but forgot how breathtaking it is. 😍 Absolutely gorgeous.

3. As pretty as the drive was...it was about 7 hours (including a lunch break) from his dad’s in rural Argyll up to ours in Moray. A loooooooong drive.

4. I had my training shift at Waterstone’s this morning and I’m really excited to get into a routine - everyone was so welcoming and helpful. Plus 50% off all books!!

5. Got into a bit of an argument with my husband last week since he’ll be out of the country with his pals for our first anniversary (end of this month)...he accidentally booked his flight back for the day after. We’ll be doing something nice to following week to celebrate but still. :(
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Liked: 114
« Reply #7114 on: July 05, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
Happy homecoming to Jimmy!  Definitely post pictures!

Have a great time at Stevie Wonder/Lionel Richie, KF.  I am green with envy.  Will be there in spirit!

Congrats to Mr. PB on achieving Chartered status!  Dave became Chartered a couple of years ago and the ceremony was held after-hours at a science museum.  It was so much fun!

My five:

1.  New job.  Amazing.  I'm already doing so much more than my previous supervisor ever would have even let me think about!  My colleagues are a good bunch.  Every day I learn something else that impresses me so much about this place.  And I found out yesterday the company pays for everyone to go to Cheltenham races, food, drink, betting tickets, the lot, on a work day.  What!

2.  CPAP.  Hoooowwwww did I function this long without it??  Still having some teething pains but already I feel like a changed woman.

3.  How about the weather this week?!  Yearning to go home and just bask in the back garden.

4.  My best friend from the US is coming over on business in a month.  Hoping we are able to meet up with her even if only for a drink or something!

5. A week after that, we are going to Italy.  Let the holiday countdown begin.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7115 on: July 05, 2019, 02:52:11 PM »

1.  New job.  Amazing.  I'm already doing so much more than my previous supervisor ever would have even let me think about!  My colleagues are a good bunch.  Every day I learn something else that impresses me so much about this place.  And I found out yesterday the company pays for everyone to go to Cheltenham races, food, drink, betting tickets, the lot, on a work day.  What!

2.  CPAP.  Hoooowwwww did I function this long without it??  Still having some teething pains but already I feel like a changed woman.

3.  How about the weather this week?!  Yearning to go home and just bask in the back garden.

4.  My best friend from the US is coming over on business in a month.  Hoping we are able to meet up with her even if only for a drink or something!

5. A week after that, we are going to Italy.  Let the holiday countdown begin.

So many great things are happening for you!  I'm so pleased!!! 

I'll be with you guys in spirit at the 4th BBQ tomorrow.  But I shall have a Pimms for you all with Stevie.  ;D

« Reply #7116 on: July 05, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »

5. Got into a bit of an argument with my husband last week since he’ll be out of the country with his pals for our first anniversary (end of this month)...he accidentally booked his flight back for the day after. We’ll be doing something nice to following week to celebrate but still. :(

100% get this.  All anniversaries are important, but there is something extra special about the first one.

and yes, God went crazy when he created Scotland!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7117 on: July 05, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
Oh thanks HeyJay, but hubby isn't charted yet. He's going for his interview to try and become Chartered. He needs it go well. Eeeek. 
He applied about 18 years ago and wasn't successful, so he's got horrible flashbacks. Except now he's very qualified and isn't a fresh faced, know it all 22 year old. 

That's nice your husband had a Chartered ceremony. I didn't get that when I became a Chartered Mechanical Engineer!

Jealous of all of you who have had nice weather. Rain ,rain, rain.......  again....... 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 114
« Reply #7118 on: July 05, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
Oh thanks HeyJay, but hubby isn't charted yet. He's going for his interview to try and become Chartered. He needs it go well. Eeeek. 
He applied about 18 years ago and wasn't successful, so he's got horrible flashbacks. Except now he's very qualified and isn't a fresh faced, know it all 22 year old. 

That's nice your husband had a Chartered ceremony. I didn't get that when I became a Chartered Mechanical Engineer!

Jealous of all of you who have had nice weather. Rain ,rain, rain.......  again.......
Oh! Uh... I knew that! I was just... You know, offering my anticipatory congratulations because I'm sure he's got it in the bag.

(Translation: sorry I misread your post! Still, though!)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7119 on: July 05, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »
Okay, I started by finely dicing the beef chunks, then I browned it in a bit of olive oil and sprinkled it with asofoetida, tossed in some flour to coat, added smoked paprika (I think I used too much of this, and I normally used "paprika", not smoked paprika), cayenne, chile flakes, cumin, a bit of thyme, concentrated beef stock, a splash of port, and water.  Oh, and a bit of tomato puree... hmm.  It could have been that.  But I was light with everything except the smoked paprika, and when I went to taste it, it was really bitter.  So I tried to fix it... and that's where I lost track of things.  I tried a squirt of lime juice, and tasted it immediately and it seemed to be moving it in the right direction so I added more without waiting to see how the first squirt would do...  then I still wasn't happy, so I tried a sweet note, by adding a squirt of barbecue sauce.  Even without waiting for the BBQ sauce to develop, I can categorically say this was the wrong way to go.  It was at about this point that I realized I could not stop this disaster train, so I put the lid on the saucepan and walked away.  It was my husband's problem then.

No tomatoes in chilli... ever!!! :o
That's probably where you went wrong initially... and then as you said, all the things you tried to save it with just compounded the problem.

I used to mix my own chilli spices, including re-hydrating dried chillies and making a paste of them for the 'base'.  But i recently discovered that the Schwartz hot chilli con carne seasoning packet is almost perfect... just needs a bit of extra cumin.

So my never-fail quickie chilli recipe is:
beef
pinto beans (including the juice from the tin)
Schwartz hot chilli con carne mix
an extra tablespoon of ground cumin
beef stock

That's all.  And it is really good!
If it's a bit too liquidy and i've not got time to let it reduce, i sometimes add a bit of masa harina mixed into a loose paste with water and that will thicken it. Also adds a nice hint of corn tortilla flavour, kind of in the background.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:20:13 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7120 on: July 06, 2019, 10:00:28 AM »
Ewwww, no beans in chili!  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7121 on: July 06, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
Friday Five? Don't mind if i do!
1. Today is going to feel like the longest day ever, because...
>drum roll<
2.  Tomorrow I am going to the Greyhound Trust kennel to collect my very own retired racing greyhound, that I have adopted!!!
3.  Some of you know how long I have been waiting for this day, and the amount of bollocks I've had to go through to get to this stage.
4.  His name is Jimmy, he is 5 years old, and he's a beautiful black laddie who slightly resembles a fruitbat round the eyes...LOL  ;D
5.  My life/lifestyle is going to be very different from tomorrow onward, and i couldn't be happier!

Hope you all have a fab day!
Aw, I can't wait to see your pictures! Sightounds are the best!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7122 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
Happy Friday!!!

1.) My husband passed! He's Chartered now. YAY!! [ [smiley=smitten.gif] ;D

2.) Long day travelling back and forth to London yesterday on aeroplanes (up at 4am, home at 10:30 pm). Ran into Rick Stephens at the airport, on the same flight down to London, off on his hollibobs.    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.) Off to a music festival tomorrow with my friend. Just a wee one , Gin & Jazz Festival.  [smiley=joker.gif] [smiley=guitarist.gif]

4.) My older sister and her husband come on Monday night for a week and we're off up to the farth northwest coast for a few nights. Wee cottage on a croft, out in the middle of nowhere. Yay. Smoo Cave is definitley on the agenda.  See what else we can see. Also have a few distilleries booked in for tours in and around this area  [smiley=balloon.gif]

5.) Picking up a new to us car tonight. Yay :)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #7123 on: July 12, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »
Awesome 5 PB!  That's *our* Rick, right?  How cool!

FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  Our daughter had her first assembly at school today (for parent's).  She was the lollipop in the Hungry Caterpillar and they sang songs and told us about what they have learned.  I may have welled up numerous times!  I'm a proud mama.

2.  We LOVE our hedgehogs.  We know there are two, but mainly just one coming by the last few nights.  I'll upload a photo.  We've been reading reviews of houses online.  I think we will get one.

3.  I brought a Dr Pepper with me to work today.  I opened my car door this morning and it rolled out under the car next to mine.  ALL the way under the car.  I'm going to have to have that person move their car to get my Dr Pepper.  And EVERYONE knows it's me who drinks Dr. Pepper at work.   ::)

4.  Work has been insane.  Working in the office until 7 every night and then to about midnight at home.  I need some respite.

5.  I go *back* into London tomorrow evening for a musical.  Adrian Mole.  I'm looking forward to it.  Last weekend Stevie Wonder and Lionel Richie were fabulous!  But boy I'm tired....

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7124 on: July 12, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »
PB - YAYYYY! So pleased for your husband!! :D

KF - OMG your daughter is getting so big so fast. Dying laughing about your Dr Pepper hahah  Is there an end in site for the long hours?! You need a holiday :(

My first Friday 5 in a few weeks and I honestly don't even have much to say LOL....

1. It's my first pizza Friday in 2 weeks and I am excited! My friend wants to have dinner either tonight or tomorrow and I think we agreed on tomorrow but now I'm not sure if it's supposed to be tonight and I'm panicking that I'll miss my shot at pizza for another week hahaha. I was hoping this was going to be an uneventful weekend but already it looks like I've got dinner with a friend lined up and potentially a BBQ. UGH.

2. I've felt very responsible ticking stuff off my list this week leading up to today. Got my DBS check for my new job done and dusted (certificate has now arrived). Citizenship ceremony booked.  Car insurance renewed for...wait for it...literally £1 cheaper through the same company ;) haha. Documents signed for our solicitor. Only thing we're waiting on now is more updates on the house...still no end date in sight!

3. My line manager and colleagues have been trying to convince me to stay because I have "so much potential to succeed in VF and am close to the next step up career wise" and they make compelling arguments so I'm feeling really guilty and torn but also feel like I want to stick to my guns and leave to see what this new opportunity is like...

4. Finally got back to my weekly games night after a few months of not being able to make it for various reasons (work, holiday, etc.). I missed my gaming buddies and the ability to play games!

Honestly....that's it for this week I think? (and even this was an absolute stretch)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links