Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What food are you craving right now?  (Read 151205 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: What food are you craving right now?
« Reply #2505 on: October 01, 2022, 04:19:35 PM »
Just ordered 12lbs of Twizzlers from Amazon last week......
  Sounds like a cry for help!  I really like those candy letters made out of moulded sugar.  Recently the machine broke down, resulting in a worldwide shortage and I haven't been able to buy any for months.  I saw some on ebay but you had to buy them by the kilo, and I just couldn't do it.  No good is going to come from ordering kilos of candy from the internet.  Turns out even the internet is out of stock.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2506 on: October 02, 2022, 08:29:02 PM »
I made homemade corn tortillas. They were simply the best corm tortillas I've ever had. And stupid simple to make.

That is also my homemade sour cream.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2507 on: October 03, 2022, 08:07:01 AM »
I made homemade corn tortillas. They were simply the best corm tortillas I've ever had. And stupid simple to make.

That is also my homemade sour cream.

Well go on then, post the recipe!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2508 on: October 03, 2022, 08:30:57 AM »
That looks so tasty!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2509 on: October 04, 2022, 02:53:42 AM »
  Well go on then, post the recipe!
For the tortillas?

2 cups masa harina
1.5 cups warm water
1 tsp salt.
Knead until dough is soft. Let rest 15-30 minutes
Roll into balls.
Press with the tortilla press everyone bought 2 years ago for just the occasion.

« Reply #2510 on: October 29, 2022, 07:24:50 PM »
I'm fairly sure I say this every year at this time... Parkin!  :)

• Liked: 424
« Reply #2511 on: October 29, 2022, 07:42:16 PM »
I'm fairly sure I say this every year at this time... Parkin!  :)
What is Parkin??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2512 on: October 29, 2022, 07:54:21 PM »
What is Parkin??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/parkin

The gooier the better.  :)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #2513 on: October 29, 2022, 08:58:21 PM »
A cornish pasty. Or a steak bake.

Just got in from several hours forking over the garden - lovely day - and I'm starving!  Nothing is in the house that doesn't have to be cooked, and I'd just kill for either of those... or one of these https://westcornwallpasty.co.uk/product/steak-tribute-ale     ;D

On the good side, there's a retired cook from the North of England, named John, who sounds very much like Winnie the Pooh and who has put up some recipes on YouTube that will do nicely. I just don't have any cooked right now.   :(

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2514 on: November 01, 2022, 08:51:12 AM »
A cornish pasty. Or a steak bake.

Just got in from several hours forking over the garden - lovely day - and I'm starving!  Nothing is in the house that doesn't have to be cooked, and I'd just kill for either of those... or one of these https://westcornwallpasty.co.uk/product/steak-tribute-ale     ;D

On the good side, there's a retired cook from the North of England, named John, who sounds very much like Winnie the Pooh and who has put up some recipes on YouTube that will do nicely. I just don't have any cooked right now.   :(
Time to make many and freeze them for a rainy day.

« Reply #2515 on: November 02, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »
Yeah, really!  ;D

There are days when I really REALLY miss Tesco.

I did make, on Monday night, his steak and onion pie. Sans the "gravy granules" since those aren't readily available here. It came out nice, and is a great way to stretch steak out to a lot more servings.  I think next time I'll put some carrots and potatoes in with the beef and onions, though.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2516 on: November 17, 2022, 09:14:28 AM »
A cider donut
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #2517 on: November 17, 2022, 11:42:34 PM »
Oh, they are really good!

« Reply #2518 on: November 19, 2022, 02:02:30 AM »
I know it's not quite the same, but....

From the Old Farmer's Almanac:

Many farmers with apple orchards make cider donuts and boiled cider in season! You can make your own Apple Cider Donuts with fresh apple cider—which not only adds flavor but also makes the donuts more tender and fills the kitchen with an amazing scent.

*Look for boiled cider at apple orchards, local cider mills, farmer’s markets, or many gourmet and Whole Foods stores. If you can find this, boil your own cider by simmering 1-1/2 cups of fresh apple cider down to 1/3 cup in about 25 minutes.
Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
1-1/4 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup boiled apple cider*
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Canola or safflower oil (for frying)
Cinnamon sugar (1-1/2 cups sugar mixed with 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon) or confectioners' sugar
Instructions

In a large bowl using a hand-held or standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat together sugar and butter until mixture is pale and fluffy, 4-6 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating a minute after each. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.

Pour buttermilk, boiled cider, and vanilla into sugar/butter/egg mixture. Mix well, and don’t worry if the mixture looks a bit curdled; it’ll smooth itself out. Add flour mixture and combine gently just until fully moistened.

Line two baking sheets with waxed paper or parchment paper and dust generously with flour. Turn dough out onto one baking sheet and pat gently into 3/4-inch-thickness. Sprinkle dough with additional flour, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. Remove dough from the freezer; use a lightly floured 3-inch doughnut cutter (or two concentric biscuit cutters) to cut out about 18 doughnuts with holes. (You may gather the scraps and roll again as needed, but you may need to chill the dough more to firm it up.) Place cut doughnuts on the other baking sheet as you go; then transfer to the freezer for 5 minutes to firm up again.

Line a plate with a few layers of paper towels and set it nearby. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 3 inches of oil to 370° (test with an instant-read thermometer). Drop 3 or 4 doughnuts into the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook until browned on one side, about 1 minute; then flip and cook until browned on the other side, about 1 minute longer.

Repeat with the remaining dough (if you find that it’s getting too soft as you work your way through the batches, pop it into the freezer again for 10 minutes). When doughnuts are cool enough to handle but still warm, sprinkle all over with cinnamon sugar or confectioners’ sugar. Serve immediately.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2519 on: November 19, 2022, 08:24:17 AM »
Those sound good!
I have made cider donuts before and they were amazing. But at the moment, too much going on and I know I won't have the time or inkling to do so. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab