Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Visa Waiver/ESTA  (Read 1787 times)

• Liked: 1
US Visa Waiver/ESTA
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:11:01 PM »
There may be a better place to post this since it has nothing to do with UK visas, but I lazily defaulted to here...

Apparently, starting 12 January, the DHS is doing away with the green visa waiver forms that visitors are required to fill out upon entry to the US, and you now must enter the necessary information online on the Electronic System for Travel Authorization in order to be "authorized" to travel to the US.  (Am I properly informed here?)  It looks like people have already had the option to do this, so I am wondering if anyone can let me know what the processing time (if any) is?  In other words, does this application need to be completed far in advance of anticipated travel? 

Thanks.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: US Visa Waiver/ESTA
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »
My mother- and sister-in-law are planning a trip to NYC in February, and they were informed that they needed to complete the online registration at least three days prior to their departure date. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
I believe this is the website to apply for authorisation:  https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
how did this slip through unnoticed?!

i booked my ticket in nov. and am flying in two days... when you visit the aforementioned website it is suggested that this has already been introduced

what about people with no net access, or the thousands of people, like myself who I like to think am quite well informed on these issues, who were until now or until they get to the states, unaware of this ?

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »
how did this slip through unnoticed?!

i booked my ticket in nov. and am flying in two days... when you visit the aforementioned website it is suggested that this has already been introduced

what about people with no net access, or the thousands of people, like myself who I like to think am quite well informed on these issues, who were until now or until they get to the states, unaware of this ?
I agree!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• my baby loves sand
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 07:51:43 PM »
Here is another website with a lot of information on it.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

I rather irritated by this just slipping though

Bygolly I am so happy we had found this site, good for keeping in the know of whats happening with traveling.
approved ILR 19th of April 2011
Baby Huw Kenneth Ray born June 19 2010

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
It doesn't apply to US citizens, but since it doesn't start until the 12th you won't be affected Munkor.

The airline is supposed to alert you as far as I am aware.  They send a link to you through e-mail.  

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »
ok thanks. But if you do visit the site it does look like it has started already

That still leaves people with no internet etc. who will be affected by this. Not everyone books online.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:05:48 PM »
I think Virgin makes you fill this stuff in when you book the ticket unless you indicate you're a US Citizen. Hopefully all the airlines will do the same.

I heard about the DHS introducing this, but I also hadn't realized this had become mandatory AND already active. And I consider myself to be fairly well informed. 

ETA: Methinks, Visa Waiver doesn't mean what the US thinks it means.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
I didn't realise this would be so exciting, because it has been on the radar for quite a while now.  It is only in trial now and volunentary and goes live on January 12th for NON US CITIZENS who formally had to fill out the green I-94 form before entering the US.

Similiar to the Australia, which has an online only, but in a lot of cases the travel agent fills in the information, though you can do it yourself.  Third parties are allowed to fill in the information, and most people expect the service from the travel agent and as people are finding out, the airlines are notifying people if they booked directly with the airline.

Just to point out, the only way to get a UK Visa from the US is by applying online...
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
ok thanks. But if you do visit the site it does look like it has started already

That still leaves people with no internet etc. who will be affected by this. Not everyone books online.

It has started, but it isn't required yet according to the State Dept site.  Even if you don't book online, you book somewhere, with someone, and they are supposed to inform you.  

It looks like from the website a third party can help fill out the info, so I suppose if you book with Thomas Cook, or whoever, they can do it there in the office.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »
My mother- and sister-in-law are planning a trip to NYC in February, and they were informed that they needed to complete the online registration at least three days prior to their departure date. 

Perfect. Even my procrasinator BF should be able to handle that :)  Thank you.

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
dont get me wrong, i think its a really good idea.

i hate asking someone for a pen when i find i dont have one on the plabne so i can fill it out. If only they'd go that one step further tho, and make it full blown, so if for some reason entry is denied, it could be decided before the flight, not after the long haul.

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
Perfect. Even my procrasinator BF should be able to handle that :)  Thank you.

Hi,
I had to do this myself the other week as I am flying on the 12th. Providing you don't have to answer yes to any of the questions ( ;D) the answer is instantaneous.

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
dont get me wrong, i think its a really good idea.

i hate asking someone for a pen when i find i dont have one on the plabne so i can fill it out. If only they'd go that one step further tho, and make it full blown, so if for some reason entry is denied, it could be decided before the flight, not after the long haul.

I agree with that.

Sponsored Links