Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Me and my Android  (Read 5528 times)

Me and my Android
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
Anyone else have one of these?  I can honestly say that I love a piece of electronics.  I thought I knew electronic love before, but I was oh so wrong.

What apps do you use/recommend?

Right now I've only d/l'ed a few games, an ereader for public domain books, and a couple utility apps.  I love "Abduction" and the Bejewelled clone I've got.  I liked the Tube status app, but it was constantly updating and I was having to kill it all the time.  So I uninstalled it.  If someone rides the Tube more than once or twice a month like me, then they probably would love it.

• Liked: 14
Re: Me and my Android
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
Aye I've got a Motorola Dext.. Just got it mid January.. Still coming to grips with all the neat stuff it can do..
I love the apps.. lol.. Welcome to the droid club  ;D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:27:06 AM »
I've got the Droid as well.

I'd recommend Beautiful Widgets, MotoTorch LED, Pandora, and another widget called Power Control.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:49:44 PM »
I was just thinking last night that they seem really, really nifty, and I'd like one.  The tipping point came when I started noticing the droid bar codes on some of my favorite blogs.  I totally want to be able to just walk around scanning things. :p

To be honest, though, I doubt I'll ever bother getting one, or an iPhone, or any other smartphone.  Although I can easily envision particular circumstances where one of the apps might come in handy, those are rare instances.  I can easily go 3 days without touching the mobile phone I've got now. 

But, if I suddenly got, you know, a life... I'd totally want one of these phones!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »
Well, so far I have the scanner, a few games, a security thingy (can remotely lock the phone and track it online), task killer, Aldiko (love), a couple of website widgets (like dictionary.com), note me, and a data usage monitor.  

I am waiting for the upgrade to Eclair (Hero is still running on Donut) until I worry too much about apps.  I have found I really like the ones that came with the phone (the default HTC browser is really nice).  We also need to get a wi-fi routre for me to take full advantage of the market.  Right now I am trying to be a bit controlled about it, but when I either find a good free hotspot or we get our routre, I am totally downloading something like beebplayer and watching a bunch of videos.

ETA: I love how it is so integrated into Google calender/mail/to do list/other web apps.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:24:20 PM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »
Has anyone bought an HTC Desire yet?  It's like the Nexus one, but on T-mo (and I think a couple others).

I want one really badly, and am hoping that when I get back from holiday in NJ that I can upgrade from my G1.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »
I wanted the Desire, but it would have either meant we pay out of pocket or probably raise our tariff for my phone about £10-15.  Plus, my Blackberry was on its last legs and it would have meant using a half functioning phone for another month until it came out, plus probably switching to TMobile.  It's meant to come out on Orange as well as TMobile, but no official word so far.  More than likely, Desire's version of Sense conflicted with Orange's software, or they figured they'd let TMobile keep Desire.  The Hero is dated, but not all that dated.  I will update if we get some extra money, but I really lurve my phone.

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »
To be honest, though, I doubt I'll ever bother getting one, or an iPhone, or any other smartphone.  Although I can easily envision particular circumstances where one of the apps might come in handy, those are rare instances.  I can easily go 3 days without touching the mobile phone I've got now. 

But, if I suddenly got, you know, a life... I'd totally want one of these phones!

I'm the same. I barely use my mobile phone. I work just down the street from home and have no commute to speak of or any other reason to really have something like this, unless I just wanted to sit on the sofa and geek out on it, but I have a desktop right there in the living room, so that would seem silly. Maybe one day I will be able to justify buying an iPad or something like that, though.  ;) But considering how rarely my iPod gets dusted off and used these days, I doubt it.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »
I'm another Droid user.  I've got an X10 with ColorNote, Lookout, Yata!, Documents to Go and Unit Converter.  Admittedly I've not played around too much with the apps yet and any recommendations are welcome - preferably free ones.   ;)

• British by descent
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
I don't have a Droid, but when my iPhone dies (which it inevitably will thanks to the battery, if nothing else), I think I'll switch. I like the iPhone, but I'm not in love with it. And hopefully by that point (a year+ from now, fingers crossed!) the Droid devices will be cheaper. :)
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
I'm ready to upgrade my crackberry and was thinking of a droid.  

I'm a mac user and love my mac and I have an ipod touch and I can do tons of stuff with that, but I personally find the iphone too clunky and awkward. Haven't seen the newest one yet though.  

I love how there are multiple phone options for the androids.  Recommendations?    
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• British by descent
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »
A friend of mine just bought an HTC Desire and raves about it.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 03:55:06 PM »
Yea, I ended up with the Desire and I'm well happy with it.

Phones of this calibre are definitely well worth the tariff.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »
Desire is pretty much the top Android phone right now, but HTC has made a lot of people angry with their failure to update some of their slightly older phones.  For instance, we were supposed to get an update to Hero (I think it came out here late summer/early autumn '09) in March/April.  We're now meant to get it at the end of June.  Some people think it's because it will prevent people from getting the Desire as it makes Hero almost as attractive as Desire.

Coming from a Blackberry, you will miss the Querty keypad, but that's about it (depending on what model BB you had).  The only other thing I miss is BB messenger because I could easily message/send photos to the States for free on it without having to mess with email.  

My sister just got the new iPhone last night.  It's bigger than the 3GS she said and it's got a screen made out of jet windscreen glass or something like that.  Whatev.  I like to be more in control of my electronics than Apple allows, so I am glad I went the Android option.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »
Coming from a Blackberry, you will miss the Querty keypad, but that's about it (depending on what model BB you had).  The only other thing I miss is BB messenger because I could easily message/send photos to the States for free on it without having to mess with email.  

I was going to get a BB for this very reason, because my sister has one and my mother will get one, however was thinking instead of the iPhone. Is it more difficult to communicate with photos/texts etc between a BB and an iPhone, or just get a BB when my upgrade comes? What thinketh you?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab