Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 514656 times)

• Liked: 6111
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #8970 on: October 17, 2018, 10:55:16 AM »
My IA is that I had to come home from holiday :(

Also, I have SO many threads to catch up on. I might take the scorched earth approach to the UKY threads and just forget all the historics and start over new LOL

Probably best!  ;D. Welcome back!  :D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8971 on: October 17, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
Probably best!  ;D. Welcome back!  :D

hah thanks :) Being back in reality sucks major hairy balls :( I miss Japan :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8972 on: October 17, 2018, 11:48:21 AM »
hah thanks :) Being back in reality sucks major hairy balls :( I miss Japan :(

My brother and SIL missed it bad after their holiday, too.  And my sister who lived there really missed it when she transferred back to the US.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #8973 on: October 17, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »
I just realised I have a Dr appointment in the town centre the same morning the Queen will be visiting. Guess I better get there early or parking will be scarce :( 

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #8974 on: October 17, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
Maybe you can meet the queen?  ;D ;) :P
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #8975 on: October 17, 2018, 11:54:55 AM »
Two IAs today:

1. I keep getting what I think are tension headaches... I didn’t get them while I was away, so I’m assuming it’s a reaction to being back home and recovering from the tiring and stressful schedule of the last couple of months.

2. I took my car in this morning to get the passenger wing mirror cover replaced, and they told me the brake pads and front tyres need replacing pretty urgently... which they’re doing for me now :(. It’s a good thing I’ve managed to build up some savings while I was overseas! Two months of barely spending anything other than my normal monthly bills and now I have all these big expenses I wasn’t planning for :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8976 on: October 17, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »
Two IAs today:

1. I keep getting what I think are tension headaches... I didn’t get them while I was away, so I’m assuming it’s a reaction to being back home and recovering from the tiring and stressful schedule of the last couple of months.

2. I took my car in this morning to get the passenger wing mirror cover replaced, and they told me the brake pads and front tyres need replacing pretty urgently... which they’re doing for me now :(. It’s a good thing I’ve managed to build up some savings while I was overseas! Two months of barely spending anything other than my normal monthly bills and now I have all these big expenses I wasn’t planning for :(.

That feels so unfair... making all the sacrifice and then not even getting to enjoy the reward because the money is going to boring things.  Sorry, ksand.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #8977 on: October 17, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
That feels so unfair... making all the sacrifice and then not even getting to enjoy the reward because the money is going to boring things.  Sorry, ksand.

Thanks :). It's not too bad, as I managed to save a few grand, and I have a whole month of overtime still to come at the end of this month, but it's just frustrating... I think I've spent more today than I have in the last 2.5 months!

Luckily, I'm heading back to the Falklands again in February for about 3 months, so that'll give me a chance to save some more :).

« Reply #8978 on: October 17, 2018, 01:46:28 PM »
Thanks :). It's not too bad, as I managed to save a few grand, and I have a whole month of overtime still to come at the end of this month, but it's just frustrating... I think I've spent more today than I have in the last 2.5 months!

Luckily, I'm heading back to the Falklands again in February for about 3 months, so that'll give me a chance to save some more :).
Will it be warmer in February?

For the headaches, if there's a good sports massage person where you are book an appointment. It'll help sort them quickly :) I hope they go away soon!

« Reply #8979 on: October 17, 2018, 02:03:23 PM »
Will it be warmer in February?

It will be (though it can snow at any time of the year)... the temperature in the summer generally averages around 12 degrees or so (compared to the 4 or 5 degrees I was in 2 weeks ago), and occasionally the temperatures reach the 20s (though it's windy pretty much all the time). There's also much more to do in the summer compared with the winter :).

For the headaches, if there's a good sports massage person where you are book an appointment. It'll help sort them quickly :) I hope they go away soon!

Thanks - me too :). I really do need to get a massage... I've been needing to see someone about my neck and shoulders for years, but I always put it off, either because it's a lot of money, or because I don't really know how to find the best person to go to.

• Liked: 680
« Reply #8980 on: October 17, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »
Yeah, it can be tough to find a good massage person. The Daughter went to one nearby a few months ago who was, for all intents, an idiot. Was telling her that her back pain was because her body was "too acidic" or some such nonsense. The kid should have gotten a medal for not saying what she was thinking - until she got home, that is!  ::) ;D  [There used to be a cartoon show on TV in the States a few years back, called "Daria". If you are familiar with that, whoever wrote it must have been following the Daughter around all day writing down what she said. They've got her down to a "t".]

Fortunately (at least I think it is going to be fortunately) I tried a new massage person yesterday. Pamela. I have some lumbar disc issues. One blew out about 8 years ago and shot a chunk-o-disc onto the nerve root that goes down my right leg, where it stayed and decayed/was reabsorbed. So that leg was cramped up in one ginormous charleyhorse from toes to butt for several months. Absolutely not fun at all. Over the years accupuncture and massage has gotten it calmed down, but to this day I still have problems with it. Over time the muscles will start to tighten up (regardless of what I do) and eventually the nasty nerve pain that I had initially comes back. To make it stop I have to have a really good massage (as in painful, but deep massage) of that leg from toes on up, to reset the systems, as it were.  Then I'm usually good for a while. And over the years the length of time between resets has been extending, so I'm happy about that.

So, Pamela on her first try yesterday did her best. She was very thorough. I'm on naproxen today and wincing a lot, with a few strategically placed hot-patches stuck on, and as sore as if I'd been beaten, but I think she did the job. The nerve pain is noticably absent, too.   :D

So yeah, finding a good massage person can be a real godsend, for sure. And it's so much better than having to keep taking medications. The quacks are all over the place, but once you find a really talented/well-trained one, they are like gold.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:30:15 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #8981 on: October 17, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »
Yeah, it can be tough to find a good massage person. The Daughter went to one nearby a few months ago who was, for all intents, an idiot. Was telling her that her back pain was because her body was "too acidic" or some such nonsense. The kid should have gotten a medal for not saying what she was thinking - until she got home, that is!  ::) ;D  [There used to be a cartoon show on TV in the States a few years back, called "Daria". If you are familiar with that, whoever wrote it must have been following the Daughter around all day writing down what she said. They've got her down to a "t".]

Fortunately (at least I think it is going to be fortunately) I tried a new massage person yesterday. Pamela. I have some lumbar disc issues. One blew out about 8 years ago and shot a chunk-o-disc onto the nerve root that goes down my right leg, where it stayed and decayed/was reabsorbed. So that leg was cramped up in one ginormous charleyhorse from toes to butt for several months. Absolutely not fun at all. Over the years accupuncture and massage has gotten it calmed down, but to this day I still have problems with it. Over time the muscles will start to tighten up (regardless of what I do) and eventually the nasty nerve pain that I had initially comes back. To make it stop I have to have a really good massage (as in painful, but deep massage) of that leg from toes on up, to reset the systems, as it were.  Then I'm usually good for a while. And over the years the length of time between resets has been extending, so I'm happy about that.

So, Pamela on her first try yesterday did her best. She was very thorough. I'm on naproxen today and wincing a lot, with a few strategically placed hot-patches stuck on, and as sore as if I'd been beaten, but I think she did the job. The nerve pain is noticably absent, too.   :D

So yeah, finding a good massage person can be a real godsend, for sure. And it's so much better than having to keep taking medications. The quacks are all over the place, but once you find a really talented/well-trained one, they are like gold.
You might find some luck with using a roller on your leg. I just use my rolling pin but you can buy purpose built ones. Might help further extend the space between visits. You just roll out the muscles gently and it loosens the knots. I use a tennis ball on my back too. Glad the new masseuse was much better!

One tip, if they are trained in manual physiotherapy and run a massage business + physio they should know what they're doing :)

« Reply #8982 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:03 AM »
You might find some luck with using a roller on your leg. I just use my rolling pin but you can buy purpose built ones. Might help further extend the space between visits. You just roll out the muscles gently and it loosens the knots. I use a tennis ball on my back too. Glad the new masseuse was much better!

One tip, if they are trained in manual physiotherapy and run a massage business + physio they should know what they're doing :)

Yes, definitely ask for their credentials.

I've tried the rollers before. Unfortunately, they don't work for me. Am very happy to find this woman - she is good. I am feeling much better today - no naproxen needed, and about to go out for a day of walking/shopping. SOOOO glad to find someone competent. (Because there are a lot out there who are not.)

« Reply #8983 on: October 22, 2018, 04:19:31 PM »
Ick. Brexit is such a pain. In a music group I'm in it was brought up again, and I was literally told to leave (the country) if I don't like it. By someone who doesn't know the difference between racism and xenophobia. And who thinks a "trade union" is all that the EU was, ignoring the common travel area in Ireland and all of the laws set by the EU that protect our food safety and more. Blah. How is our future in the hands of such poorly educated brainwashed people?

« Reply #8984 on: October 22, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »
Scary, isn't it. :-\\\\

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab