Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I escaped the UK...here's my experience so far  (Read 8475 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: I escaped the UK...here's my experience so far
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
I know that feeling. I just found out how much I weigh and it's the heaviest I've been. *sigh* I'd like to go back to my heaviest at 26 please, before I joined a gym.

The damn "facebook memories - this year x-amount of years ago" photos that pop up don't help either!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 13
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
The weight thing is a mystery. I come from one of the fattest cities in America and I was so frustrated that I was the most heavy I had been in London. Yes with all the walking and smaller portions, you would think people would slim down.

I agree with others that it's probably not getting out as much and trying new foods. I think possibly the weather too? A lack of vitamin D can cause weight gain and when I started taking the supplement it helped a bit with my weight. But it wasn't until I  went on a diet of no sugar, (not even most fruits), no gluten, no alcohol, and only chicken and fish for two months that I lost all the weight I had put on.

And here, we ate nothing but takeout for a month because we didn't have a permanent apartment yet and I only gained three pounds.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:57:49 PM by Lalala75 »

• Liked: 585
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
I always say that I wish I could weigh as much as I did when I thought I weight too much...

Same here!  :\\\'(

• Liked: 111
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 01:55:43 AM »
I'm the heaviest I've ever been right now. I remember when I was weighed at my nine month of pregnancy with my third child at age 30 (16 years ago) and I gasped. I was so worried for days. I surpassed that years ago once I moved to the US. I didn't learn to drive until I was 29 years old (I learned in England) but once I arrived in my Houston suburb, I completely piled on the pounds! I'm eating a pizza right now!! My husband is 35lbs overweight too because his job is sedentary (he was in the RAF before) so we are so ready to move back!! But not before I have Texas BBQ, Wing Stop wings, Pei Wei, Sonic corn dogs, Texas Roadhouse chicken fried steak, Wendy's chili...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
we are so ready to move back!! But not before I have Texas BBQ, Wing Stop wings, Pei Wei, Sonic corn dogs, Texas Roadhouse chicken fried steak, Wendy's chili...

[smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

• Liked: 56
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »
@BertineC Thanks :) And I hope your homesickness wasn't too bad :( Yeah, I tried really hard to make things easier but sometimes never succeeded. I'm not sure why it seems every little thing I attempted seemed like a headache. For instance it took us a month to get internet with BT and here it took one day. But even small things, would end up not working out. It's a really strange thing. And I catch myself doing the London walk: the charging fast walk. But both me and my husband said we felt mean! I have to keep reminding myself to slow down and there's no reason I need to walk at such a pace!

I too would like to head back west one day or just somewhere even more laid back and cheaper. I hope you guys find something that works for you soon. Are you in London? What part?

We are in London and I work south bank, other half in the City and we live (now) just outside the City in St Katherines Docks area so I can at least walk to and from work rather than stuff myself in the tin can each way. Thats been good! But of course the rental needs a ton of work on it, Sky is half the speed we were promised (but that is something I can actually do something about!) and some days it just seems that even if I had to pay for healthcare in the US it wouldn't really matter because I would be paid more and hopefully surrounded by more competence. Interestingly I was at a party a few months ago with almost all expats(US/Europeans, a few South Africans) hedge/venture capital types and only one couple owned their own place, which they had just bought... in Finsbury Park! Most everyone else didn't see the point of paying stupid prices for sub quality or were waiting to see where the money was going after Brexit.

We are in Sweden at the moment for vacation and at a crowded concert the other night (having flown in from London that morning) I just shoved people out of the way which is definitely NOT what you do here, but they were in my way and not moving :) I've found it can take a week or two to "decompress" from London and readjust expectations, until I am in another crowded area and the mentality just takes over! I will say that it was amazing how after the show I thought no way would all of us get on the train but we even got a seat! And I didn't have three crotches shoved in my face! It was one of the suburban type trains (like Thameslink-ish) but because the platforms are so long and the trains mostly more updated, they got everyone on just fine.

Ideally we want to be free to spend time in Sweden and time in the US every year and to live near the water in both places. Southern California north of LA is somewhat the goal, but I figure balancing that out with a place in more rural Sweden ought to be ok. Definitely can't have a desk job for that!

We had always intended our sojourn to the UK to be about 5-7 years, so right now we are about 50-60% of the way through that. This Brexit thing has really thrown a wrench in the plans because we hadn't intended to do time in Sweden to establish citizenship for me. Ah well, hopefully there will be some clarity over the next year, which will give me more time to get ducks in a row depending on potential outcomes. And work on losing weight - I swear there is a ton more sugar in food in the UK, although all the junk food at the office doesn't help.

There are Dunkin Donuts in Stockholm now I see! 

• Liked: 6
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »
Ok on the weight thing, I better be careful then.  Back home my husband said I had the diet of a child and it wasn't until my sister was asking my niece what she wanted to eat and when responded "nuggets and cereal" it was like OMG...I do have the diet of a child. It was mainly due to late hours at work and it wasn't always like that, but coming home at 9pm some nights who has time to cook...so cereal it was.

Here my husband cooks and though I am walking more than at home, he makes rather large portions and I find myself eating them so he doesn't shove them in his face...I've asked him for smaller portions for me but not sure he knows how :p.

I also get really annoyed with the amount of sweetners in drinks..why? I feel now with those tests that link Splenda to diabeties, having natural sugar in moderation is better....no sugar added for drinks here just seems to mean sweeteners have been added.

Though I do miss my sugary cereals lol...chocolate Frosted Flakes or Reese's puffs (not paying 5 pounds for a small box)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:42:05 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
Reese's puffs

I've never heard of these. But I am interested.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
Chocolate Frosted Flakes?! Sorry...but what?!?!

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 537
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
I've never heard of these. But I am interested.

They're like cocoa puffs but they're chocolate and peanut butter. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
They're like cocoa puffs but they're chocolate and peanut butter. Haha.

Sweet heavenly father....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 116
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »
Ok on the weight thing, I better be careful then.  Back home my husband said I had the diet of a child and it wasn't until my sister was asking my niece what she wanted to eat and when responded "nuggets and cereal" it was like OMG...I do have the diet of a child. It was mainly due to late hours at work and it wasn't always like that, but coming home at 9pm some nights who has time to cook...so cereal it was.

Here my husband cooks and though I am walking more than at home, he makes rather large portions and I find myself eating them so he doesn't shove them in his face...I've asked him for smaller portions for me but not sure he knows how :p.

I also get really annoyed with the amount of sweetners in drinks..why? I feel now with those tests that link Splenda to diabeties, having natural sugar in moderation is better....no sugar added for drinks here just seems to mean sweeteners have been added.

Though I do miss my sugary cereals lol...chocolate Frosted Flakes or Reese's puffs (not paying 5 pounds for a small box)

My husband also likes to cook.  I've learned over the years we've known each other I just don't need as much to eat as he does--he is taller and stronger and needs more calories.  So I eat about half the breakfast and lunch he does, and then have a good sized dinner but no seconds generally unless I've been very active.  He usually will have seconds.  Otherwise a few hours later he'll start looking around the cupboards for a snack and find the biscuits.  :P
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 210
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »
:-O My experience (albeit brief) was opposite. I lost weight when I was in the UK. And it was in the dead of winter, too! But for me, weather was wonderful. Mild, sunny winter last year and a glorious park with a dog to walk. Here in the US, it's too hot and humid and I live a fairly secluded life. I found British groceries to be quite good quality, too. Nice produce, etc. that meant cheap and filling homemade meals.

I'm hoping (sort of planning on) that I'll lose weight once I go back.
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 134
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 09:35:33 PM »
I find that I eat way more junk food here in the UK just because it's generally so much cheaper than in the US.  I can run to the Co-op and get a bag of crisps for £1 whereas it might be $3 or $4 for the same thing in the US.  And Lord help me if I don't eat my own body weight in custard creams every day when I get home from work....
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 6
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2017, 09:40:19 PM »
Chocolate Frosted Flakes?! Sorry...but what?!?!

Yes discovered them just as I was getting ready to come here so our affair was a brief one, but I am looking forward to rekindling our love once I return home for the holidays...they sell them at Costco, only place I could find them.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab