Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which of these ingredients are available?  (Read 5012 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Which of these ingredients are available?
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
I think you're right about honey butter, but Texas Roadhouse has a cinnamon honey butter for their rolls and it's outstanding!

Oh!  I miss good bread rolls!  Can anybody point in the the direction of a tasty shop bread roll that I would be happy to just smear some butter on and nom?  I have been so completely disappointed by bread here.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2017, 10:09:39 PM »
Oh!  I miss good bread rolls!  Can anybody point in the the direction of a tasty shop bread roll that I would be happy to just smear some butter on and nom?  I have been so completely disappointed by bread here.
Yeast rolls don't seem to exist here. That's what you really want.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
Yeast rolls don't seem to exist here. That's what you really want.

I can't get a kitchen (and oven!) fast enough.  *sigh*  Stupid UKVI, making my life miserable.  :(

• Liked: 585
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »
  I have been so completely disappointed by bread here.

LOL... between this, the discussion about egg noodles and a long-ago post in which someone claimed that the salt tastes different here.... I sometimes feel I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »
LOL... between this, the discussion about egg noodles and a long-ago post in which someone claimed that the salt tastes different here.... I sometimes feel I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

I can't believe there's a disappointment in bread... unless it's the pre-sliced stuff. I contest that much anyway except for toast.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2017, 08:52:20 AM »
Yeast rolls!  <drools >

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »

Really, you'd think we live in Ethiopia or something.  How different can the deodorant be? 

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2017, 02:00:55 PM »
Really, you'd think we live in Ethiopia or something.  How different can the deodorant be?

I use a solid.  I couldn't even find solid for ages.  Now I have seen what I think might be solid, but it's a brand I don't use, and I don't know how I will react to it.  I don't do dyes and try to avoid perfumes because my skin is "sensitive".  That's why I'm having trouble with the shampoo... Herbal Essences made me think I had picked up head lice once!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
I use a solid.  I couldn't even find solid for ages.  Now I have seen what I think might be solid, but it's a brand I don't use, and I don't know how I will react to it.  I don't do dyes and try to avoid perfumes because my skin is "sensitive".  That's why I'm having trouble with the shampoo... Herbal Essences made me think I had picked up head lice once!

I've been using solid deodorant in the UK for at least 10 years, so they are definitely around.

I use Dove but you can also buy Mitchum and Bionsen in places like Boots, and looks like you can get Secret from some online sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
Herbal Essences made me think I had picked up head lice once!
Maybe you did.  I'll break a taboo: a person in my family keeps getting lice over and over!  We constantly battle it, most likely because the person who won't be named is always taking selfies and sticking her hair next to everyone else's.  Usually the rest of the family is free, but it never stops! 
I don't know what it's like in the US, but England must be the nit capital of the world.

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
Maybe you did.  I'll break a taboo: a person in my family keeps getting lice over and over!  We constantly battle it, most likely because the person who won't be named is always taking selfies and sticking her hair next to everyone else's.  Usually the rest of the family is free, but it never stops! 
I don't know what it's like in the US, but England must be the nit capital of the world.

My job at the time was working for Children and Family Services, and I had to go into peoples' homes... people with children... who go to school....  Children who go to school often get head lice and pass it around.  During that time, I switched shampoos to Herbal Essences, which was a relatively new product line, because it smelled really good.  But then about halfway through my workday, I noticed that my head would not stop itching.  So I stopped off at the store on my way home from work and bought Rid and some garbage bags.  As soon as I walked through my door, I put the clothes I was wearing into a bag and sealed it, and then I started combing the shampoo stuff through my hair.  I kept checking that little comb for any sign of the things, and there was nothing.  But my head was so itchy I was sure I would find a massive infestation.  Two weeks later, I was still itchy, so I repeated the Rid... still no sign of nits or lice.

Finally, it dawned on me to try switching back to my old shampoo, and my scalp felt better within 24 hours.  I should've known... my mother can't use shampoo with blue or green dyes in it.  The Herbal Essences I got that time was a deep red colour, so I ignored it as a potential cause for those two weeks.  But I'm pretty certain that was the problem.  It hasn't recurred since, and that was about 20 years ago.  :P

I've been using solid deodorant in the UK for at least 10 years, so they are definitely around.

I use Dove but you can also buy Mitchum and Bionsen in places like Boots, and looks like you can get Secret from some online sellers.

I use Secret... I most recently got mine from Amazon.  If I could smell the other brands, I don't have a problem with switching, but I am particular about the scents I wear.  I don't like many of them.

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »

I use Secret... I most recently got mine from Amazon.  If I could smell the other brands, I don't have a problem with switching, but I am particular about the scents I wear.  I don't like many of them.

I used secret back on the US too. I like the dove pomegranate one and their cucumber melon is nice too. The cucumber melon smells just like their cucumber melon soap if you can get your hands on one of those to sniff. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »

Very different. If you're someone who's a heavy sweater and the only anti-persperant deoderant that worked at all isn't sold here... It makes you very sad.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »

Yeah, I've been using the baby powder scent Mitchum for ages... longer than 10 years, i'm sure.  But I do always pick up a couple of Secret sticks when i'm in the US.

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
I used secret back on the US too. I like the dove pomegranate one and their cucumber melon is nice too. The cucumber melon smells just like their cucumber melon soap if you can get your hands on one of those to sniff. Haha.

That is really useful information!  I'll try the cucumber melon if I can.  It sounds like it would be a light and fresh enough scent that I won't offend myself all day. ;)

Very different. If you're someone who's a heavy sweater and the only anti-persperant deoderant that worked at all isn't sold here... It makes you very sad.

I'm not even a heavy sweater (my sister is and my dad was, but I took after my mother's side)... I just know what I need to not offend myself or others.

Sponsored Links