Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What's for dinner?  (Read 10770 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: What's for dinner?
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »
My Tesco have an ever-expanding Polish selection, and every time I try something new, I wonder again if I might actually be of Polish descent.  I don't think there's anything I haven't liked yet.  But the things I bought were classed as "dumplings" by Tesco, and the photo of the product is terribly blurry, so I don't actually know what I'm getting  (this is the item) .  Wish me luck!  (Or if you've had this product line, feel free to reassure me.  I've got £2 on the line, here.)
Those are pierogies. It's the same brand my Polish shop carrys but it has English writing on it.

My mom's family was Eastern European but she grew up in Polish country, Ohio. I have a lot of Polish food influences and I'm thrilled to have a Polish shop a 2 minute walk from my flat. Their eggs are amazing and cheap too! Anything I don't know what it is,  I just ask now. They are happy to translate the packages.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 12:53:39 AM »
Mmm, pierogies

My 16-year-old has decided to become a vegetarian and leaning towards being a vegan. She cooks dinner for us most nights. She made us spring rolls with a peanut dipping sauce. It was very tasty but my God, I'm so hungry now! My husband and I are waiting for her to go with her friends to study so we can make a bacon sandwich! That's so bad of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
Those are pierogies. It's the same brand my Polish shop carrys but it has English writing on it.

My mom's family was Eastern European but she grew up in Polish country, Ohio. I have a lot of Polish food influences and I'm thrilled to have a Polish shop a 2 minute walk from my flat. Their eggs are amazing and cheap too! Anything I don't know what it is,  I just ask now. They are happy to translate the packages.

Ah, thank you, Tami!  That's exactly what I wanted to hear.  My biggest problem was that the photo was such poor quality that I couldn't see it, but then it was also called "dumplings", which is a rather umbrella term for so many different possible foods.  But it was of Polish origin, so I felt confident enough to put the mystery product into my shopping basket.  :)

Mmm, pierogies

My 16-year-old has decided to become a vegetarian and leaning towards being a vegan. She cooks dinner for us most nights. She made us spring rolls with a peanut dipping sauce. It was very tasty but my God, I'm so hungry now! My husband and I are waiting for her to go with her friends to study so we can make a bacon sandwich! That's so bad of us!

Aww, I feel you!  Years ago, I was nanny for my friend's baby, between my friend's maternity leave running out and her child care placement becoming available.  It was a weird live/work/friendship situation, and I had most of my meals with them.  For two months.  And while their food was usually very good, it was also very lean.  And, whereas my family had always served meals "family style", my friend and her husband served portioned plates (there were never leftovers).  I couldn't wait 'til her lunch hour every day, when I would pack up the baby and take her to my friend's place of work for "mommy time"... after they had their visit, Baby and I would go through the nearest drive thru (Jack in the Box or Taco Bell, usually) and I would finally scarf down as much as I could in one sitting.  People watching me would've thought I had an eating disorder, parked in a parking lot and binging on junk food in my car like that.  But I was famished!  But I also didn't want to tell my friend that, because she was my host and I didn't want to be rude since she was feeding me.  And paying me for child care.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2017, 04:03:17 AM »
I definitely miss pierogies. We have a huge polish contingent in Buffalo so they have always been readily available and fresh. It was my favorite easy meal before I discovered I had celiac.

Dinner last night was salmon sashimi & mochi for dessert. Today was Duff's wings, where my visiting husband doused his in "death sauce" and was shaking by the end of dinner, but loved every minute of it. I don't understand the draw to food so hot you can't even taste it - I tried the sauce before and it was not even close to enjoyable! (Tears, followed by blue cheese and celery to try and tame it.) I'm sure I'll miss it when I'm gone though :)

Tomorrow we're meeting up with my husband's brother who just happens to be in town for work. Good timing!

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 04:10:25 AM »
I definitely miss pierogies. We have a huge polish contingent in Buffalo so they have always been readily available and fresh. It was my favorite easy meal before I discovered I had celiac.

Dinner last night was salmon sashimi & mochi for dessert. Today was Duff's wings, where my visiting husband doused his in "death sauce" and was shaking by the end of dinner, but loved every minute of it. I don't understand the draw to food so hot you can't even taste it - I tried the sauce before and it was not even close to enjoyable! (Tears, followed by blue cheese and celery to try and tame it.) I'm sure I'll miss it when I'm gone though :)

Tomorrow we're meeting up with my husband's brother who just happens to be in town for work. Good timing!

My husband and I both like spicy food, but my husband's tastes run a bit more bold than mine.  What is this "death sauce" you speak of?  Is it his own concoction, or something I can buy as a treat for my husband?  He is keen, and he doesn't even know about it yet.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 04:16:16 AM »
My husband and I both like spicy food, but my husband's tastes run a bit more bold than mine.  What is this "death sauce" you speak of?  Is it his own concoction, or something I can buy as a treat for my husband?  He is keen, and he doesn't even know about it yet.
I don't think they bottle and sell it :( It's available either on the wings or as a side when you eat here: http://www.duffswings.com

DH is visiting me in Buffalo this week for our anniversary while we wait for UKVI to get to my visa.

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 04:35:26 AM »
I don't think they bottle and sell it :( It's available either on the wings or as a side when you eat here: http://www.duffswings.com

DH is visiting me in Buffalo this week for our anniversary while we wait for UKVI to get to my visa.

Ah, you are correct.  They do offer their "hot sauce" and barbecue sauce as a bottled product (it's not cheap, and they don't ship internationally).  But if death sauce is something hotter than "hot", they don't bottle it for purchase.  It's okay, though.  There are lots of hot sauces out there to try.  :)

Happy anniversary!  Enjoy your remaining time in America (and your husband's visit, to make the visa wait that much easier to endure for a bit!). :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 07:52:18 AM »

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:44 AM »
I made some really lush, juicy cheeseburgers last night.
For the buns, I used what Asda call 'corn muffins'... they're basically what we would know as an 'English' muffin, but with a mix of white flour and polenta (or whatever kind of corn product is used to make cornbread).

How funny that several of us had cornbread (in various forms) last night!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 08:12:28 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
I only ever used to get potato ones.  In the "rust belt" part of the US, they're easy to find ready-made in the freezer section of the supermarket, but I grew up in California, Texas and Arkansas, so I only discovered pierogi in my grad school days in Cleveland.  My roommate bought some and introduced me to them.  And that was such a cruel thing for her to do because I loved them.  And then I went home.  :P

I had literally never heard of them until at work, we decided to make things "from where we're from" as I'm American and there's a Spanish lady and a Polish guy (with everybody else being English but from various parts of the country). The Polish guy said he was going to make us various "dumplings" when it became his turn. They were SO good (although I think his wife made them not him haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
Mmm, pierogies

Well done on her for making a decision and taking the initiative... BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO SUFFER WITH HER! hahaha Although I love spring rolls and peanut sauce so that is definitely hardly suffering :p
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »

Dinner last night was salmon sashimi & mochi for dessert.

LOVE Mochi!! had some strawberry cheesecake mochi on Monday and it was really good. Been craving more!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
I've got you all beat in dinner tonight. Myself I wasn't hungry, but my daughter was having one of her 'hunger days' so she's literally had turkey nuggets, veg, onion rings, tomato soup, a piece of bread and some fruit salad.

Major creativity on my end ;)

I'll be making homemade chicken and dumplings tomorrow night :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Please tell us how to make dumplings.  I had some in Germany and I forgot how much I love them.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
I hear you guys going on about Eastern European food.  When I lived in Prague I loved the food so much!  Fried cheese was everywhere and so good!  Dumplings and pork with gravy.

My favourite was a dinner or lunch called Fruit Dumplings, which was dumplings covered in butter that contained blueberries.  They'd be covered in whipped cream and powdered sugar.  The best thing was that it was totally considered a legit lunch on it's own or with a beer.  Nobody would judge you for eating a giant desert as lunch.

I'm hungry now and missing Czech pubs! 

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »
OMG Jimbo... that sounds lush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had never heard of, or tried pierogi until last year when I saw them in Aldi.  I love them, but they are SO bad for me!  :\\\'(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:41:03 AM by Albatross »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab