Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance visa refusal  (Read 18086 times)

• Liked: 46
Fiance visa refusal
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:53:06 AM »
So, as I have written in priority topic. I have been refused the fiance visa today... We are more than upset if I can say so...

Text of rejection

Suitability
Your application does not fall for refusal on grounds of suitability under Section S-EC of Appendix FM

Eligibility

Relationship requirement - you meet

Financial Requirement - you meet

Language Requirement - you do not meet
In support of your application, you have provided an IELTS General Training certificate issued on 04/06/2016, however this which is not an English language test which is approved by the Secretary of State.

I have provided IELTS General Training for UKVI test (level C2), which was passed in Hammersmith and Ealing, London, approved IELTS Consortium center... I don't know what to say after all that... The main question, shall we appeal, or just marry and reapply...? Can we refund any of our fees because of their mistake?

Absolutely devastated...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:59:04 AM by Katie_France »
Application#1(Fiance)
Bio-metrics Appointment and scan: 16th Nov
Documents Received in Sheffield email: 17th Nov
Decision Made E-Mail: 19th January 2018
43 business days, Rejection
Application #2 Spouse (from France)
Bio-metrics Appointment and docs scan 08 March 2018
Documents Received in Sheffield email: 05 April 2018
Decision made email from Visa center: 25 April 2018
32 business days

Re: Fiance visa refusal
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:12:40 AM »
We have already booked our tickets to the USA, and thinking of marrying there... Are there any special requirements for the marriage certificate from USA?
Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

• Liked: 3595
Fiance visa refusal
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:13 AM »
So sorry :(.

I would wait until you get the proper refusal letter before doing anything, just in case there’s something else causing the refusal (sometimes you have to read between the lines).

I probably wouldn’t bother with an appeal, as it will take about a year and is unlikely to be successful. You can’t get a refund of any fees unfortunately.

You can either reapply for the fiancé visa, fixing the reason for refusal. Or you can get married elsewhere and apply for a spousal visa instead.

I know UKVI are very specific about which IELTS test you have to take for which visa.

According to the British Council website, the test you are required to take for a fiancé or spousal visa is the following:

IELTS Life Skills A1

This test is for those who need to prove their English speaking and listening skills as part of their application to UK Visas and Immigration for ‘family of a settled person’ visa

IELTS Life Skills

If you’re applying for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, extension of a ‘family of a settled person’ visa or for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship, IELTS Life Skills is the test for you. 

IELTS Life Skills is a new test, approved by UKVI as a Secure English Language Test (SELT).

It’s for people who need to show they have speaking and listening skills at Level A1, A2  or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

See: https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi/what-ielts-ukvi

And from the fiancé/spousal visa pages on the UKVI website:

Take an approved English language test
You can prove your knowledge of English by passing an approved English language test with at least a CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening.

If you want to settle permanently in the UK within 5 years
If you took the CEFR A1 when you first applied for your visa, you’ll need to take a CEFR A2 test when you apply to stay after 2.5 years.

If you didn’t need to do the CEFR A1 when you first applied for your visa but you need to do it now, you’ll need to pass it when you apply to stay after 2.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:29:26 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:26:29 AM »
We have already booked our tickets to the USA, and thinking of marrying there... Are there any special requirements for the marriage certificate from USA?

No, as long as you can show you are going to return to your home country after the wedding, you can just fly to the US on ESTA or B2 visitor visa and marry there.

You’ll have to check with the county where you will marry to see what documents they need for the marriage licence - usually your passport as ID, but they might require other documents too.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 03:44:53 AM »
Hmm, just reading through the UKVI guidance for English Language tests for settlement visas, it does say that you can take a test at a higher level than required for a settlement visa: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/605687/Appendix_FM_Section_1.21.pdf

I would definitely wait for your official refusal letter before you make any decisions about what to do next.

Either there’s some other reason for the refusal or it could be the person making the decision saw it was not an A1 or A2 certificate and decided you didn’t meet the requirement, not realising the C2 is at a higher level.

If it’s the latter, you would  likely have a good case for an appeal... just be aware that it can take several months for the appeals process.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 07:43:49 AM »
ksand24, thanks for your response. I am really not feeling well, couldn't sleep the whole night. To say that I am upset is to say nothing, trying to assemble myself after all...

First of all, the full refusal letter was attached, so I don't think they are going to give me anything else. I live in Nice, not in Paris where I applied. I paid 75 euro to keep my passport with me both with priority. TLS contact allowed me to do that exceptionally because they knew that priorities are delayed right now and they don't deliver up to their promises. Maybe they decided to save my money ("very kind").

The English exam, which was taken is absolutely correct and right and suits immigration rules. However, we are not ready to postpone our life for another 6-8 months... I am wondering if we can sue them, because of their unprofessional behavior?

The tickets to Miami are booked (I have the relevant B1/B2 visa), so we are going to marry in 2 weeks. Saves us 20-30k GBP of family budget for the wedding in UK... Shall we somehow legalize the wedding, shall we do the apostille on the certificate?

I have applied for NARIC certificate, I did an MBA in France in English before.
Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »
Rejection letter (which was attached to the Decision made email)

Dear ***
Your human rights claim in an application for entry clearance made on 16/11/2017 is
refused.
What this means for you
You can appeal this decision. Instructions on how to appeal are in the ‘next steps’ section
of this letter.
The reasons for this decision are set out on the next page.
Yours sincerely

REASONS FOR REFUSAL
On 16/11/2017 you made an application for entry clearance to the UK under Appendix
FM to the Immigration Rules on the basis of your family life with your partner ***

Your application has been considered under those Rules, and with reference to Article 8
of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). The relevant Immigration Rules
can be viewed on gov.uk here: www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules.
This decision takes into account as a primary consideration the best interests of any
relevant child in line with section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act
We have considered your application under paragraph EC-P.1.1. of Appendix FM.
However, you do not qualify for entry clearance under the 5-year partner route for the
following reasons:
Suitability
Your application does not fall for refusal on grounds of suitability under Section S-EC of
Appendix FM.
Eligibility
Under paragraph EC-P.1.1.(d) you do not meet all of the eligibility requirements of
Section E-ECP of Appendix FM for the following reasons:

Eligibility Relationship Requirement
You meet the eligibility relationship requirement of paragraphs E-ECP.2.1. to 2.10.
Eligibility Financial Requirement
You meet the eligibility financial requirement of paragraphs E-ECP.3.1. to 3.4.
Eligibility English Language Requirement
You do not meet the eligibility English language requirement of paragraphs E-ECP.4.1. to
4.2. because:
You are not exempt from the English language requirement under paragraph E-ECP.4.2.
In addition, you are not a national of a majority English speaking country listed in
paragraph GEN 1.6 and have not passed an English language test (A1 Level of Common
European Framework) with a provider approved by UKVI and/or do not hold an academic
qualification recognised by NARIC UK to be the equivalent to the standard of a
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, which was taught in English. You have also not provided any details that there are any exceptional compassionate
circumstances that would prevent you from meeting the English language requirement.
In support of your application you have provided an IELTS General Training certificate issued on 04/06/2016; however this which is not an English language test which is approved by the Secretary of State for the purposes of settlement. Every English language test taken on or after 6 April 2015 by a partner or parent applicant must meet the new requirements in respect of the approved tests, providers and secure test centres offered by Trinity College London or the IELTS SELT Consortium.
I therefore refuse your application under paragraph EC-P.1.1(d) of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. (E-ECP.4.1)
Exceptional Circumstances
MUST We have considered, under paragraphs GEN.3.1. and GEN.3.2. of Appendix FM
as applicable, whether there are exceptional circumstances in your case which could or would render refusal a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR because it could or would result in unjustifiably harsh consequences for you or your family. In so doing we have taken into account, under paragraph GEN.3.3. of Appendix FM, the best interests of any relevant child as a primary consideration.
You have provided no information or evidence to establish that there are any exceptional circumstances in your case.
Refusal under the Partner Rules
In light of the above, your application is refused under paragraph D-ECP.1.3.of Appendix FM with reference to paragraph EC-P.1.1.(d) and you do not qualify for entry clearance on the 5-year partner route, or on the 10-year partner route on the basis of exceptional circumstances, under Appendix FM.

NEXT STEPS
RIGHT OF APPEAL
You have 28 days from the date you receive this decision to appeal. Information on how to appeal, the appeal process and the fees payable are all available online at:
https://www.gov.uk/immigration-asylum-tribunal/appeal-from-outside-the-uk
If you want to seek legal advice you must do so now.
IMMIGRATION HEALTH SURCHARGE
If you have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge it will be refunded. You may need to pay again if any appeal is successful.

Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
First of all, the full refusal letter was attached, so I don't think they are going to give me anything else. I live in Nice, not in Paris where I applied. I paid 75 euro to keep my passport with me both with priority. TLS contact allowed me to do that exceptionally because they knew that priorities are delayed right now and they don't deliver up to their promises. Maybe they decided to save my money ("very kind").

The refusal letter has to follow specific guidelines, including quoting which part of the immigration rules they are refusing under (numbers and letters) and they usually mention something about Human Rights as well. Did your letter include all of that?

If that letter was included in your email, can you post it word-for-word in full (omitting personal information)?

The English exam, which was taken is absolutely correct and right and suits immigration rules. However, we are not ready to postpone our life for another 6-8 months... I am wondering if we can sue them, because of their unprofessional behavior?

I wonder if contacting your fiancé’s MP would help - they might be able to query it with Sheffield and see if he can get it looked at.

It does indeed sound like they made a mistake... unless of course there’s more to it.

You didn’t mention anything about whether you met the accommodation requirement... did the letter/email mention that?

The tickets to Miami are booked (I have the relevant B1/B2 visa), so we are going to marry in 2 weeks. Saves us 20-30k GBP of family budget for the wedding in UK... Shall we somehow legalize the wedding, shall we do the apostille on the certificate?

No, you don’t need to do anything... your marriage certificate will be legal and recognised in the UK. You just get married and then apply for the spousal visa from the country where you are legally resident.

However, if you will be marrying in 2 weeks you won’t be able to try to fight the potential mistake in the refusal.... because you won’t be a fiancé anymore and will no longer qualify for that visa.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »
Rejection letter (which was attached to the Decision made email)

Ah, thanks :).

In support of your application you have provided an IELTS General Training certificate issued on 04/06/2016; however this which is not an English language test which is approved by the Secretary of State for the purposes of settlement. Every English language test taken on or after 6 April 2015 by a partner or parent applicant must meet the new requirements in respect of the approved tests, providers and secure test centres offered by Trinity College London or the IELTS SELT Consortium.

Hmm, okay, so it seems like either it was a case of:
- the specific test you took wasn't one of the approved tests on the list
or
- whoever made the decision saw that it was not an IELTS Life Skills A1 test and assumed it did not meet the requirement

It's hard to know what to do - my instinct, based on the fact that it seems to be a mistake, would be to try to fight it and get the decision overturned, but that may well take months and may not be worth it for you in the end.

Alternatively, if you get married in the US, you can apply for the spousal visa as soon as you are ready - including the evidence of your degree taught in English (and I would include the test certificate as well and explain that you believe a mistake was made in the refusal) - and then you can work, study and use the NHS immediately upon arrival... and save all that money on wedding costs :).

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
What was your actual score on the IELTS? C2 refers to the Common European Framework, but IELTS scores are 1-9. What was your score and how exactly did you report the score?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:18:52 AM by historyenne »
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »
Oh Katie!  I am so sorry.  Big big hugs!

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »

I wonder if contacting your fiancé’s MP would help - they might be able to query it with Sheffield and see if he can get it looked at.

It does indeed sound like they made a mistake... unless of course there’s more to it.

You didn’t mention anything about whether you met the accommodation requirement... did the letter/email mention that?

However, if you will be marrying in 2 weeks you won’t be able to try to fight the potential mistake in the refusal.... because you won’t be a fiancé anymore and will no longer qualify for that visa.

My fiance already contacted his MP on Friday regarding the delay in the visa processing time, and now he is going to send a letter with refusal and all information... Unfortunately, MP can personally meet him only mid of February.

No, nothing was written about the accommodation, I copied the full letter.

I am absolutely lost, I don't know what should be better to do... It is just impossible that you pay so much money and they even don't check the documents. What I really want to avoid is getting into the limbo for another 8 months. Who will take the responsibility for all our emotions and additional expenses while we will have to continue living separately? 8 months is a lot, lots of things can change.

The test is absolutely correct and was taken in the right location. There is no wrong test. There is either IELTS General test or IELTS General test for UKVI, and I have the special application number for UKVI on my test results, so they could have checked it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:29:51 AM by Katie_France »
Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
Oh Katie!  I am so sorry.  Big big hugs!

Thanks... Just need to understand what to do now... :(
Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 11:27:19 AM »
What was your actual score on the IELTS? C2 refers to the Common European Framework, but IELTS scores are 1-9. What was your score and how exactly did you report the score?

@historyenne Just came back home, checked my IELTS, which is, in fact, C1, not C2, but it doesn't change anything really...

The scores are Listening 8.0, Reading 8.0, Writing 7.0, Speaking 8.0 Overall Band Score 8.0 CEFR Level C1

I submitted IELTS Test Report Form together with all other documents
Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
I have checked the list of the approved secure English tests and test centers from 17th November 2017. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/658919/2017-11-13_-_Approved_Secure_English_Language_Tests_and_Test_Centres.pdf

So, I have passed my exam in London West, which is on the list GBS 02.

I have UKVI number on my IELTS as well as Test Report Form Number

Application#1(Fiance)
32 business days

Sponsored Links