Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No control of non EU immigration  (Read 4551 times)

• Liked: 73
No control of non EU immigration
« on: March 04, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »
I am incensed! I just heard Michael Heseltine state that all immigration issues are focused on Europe whereas the greater number of immigrants come from non-EU countries. OK fair enough! He then said the government takes no notice of that group of immigrants with no rules and no control at the border!! I do hope I heard wrong. Maybe we should all send him our receipts for all the visas, IHS etc for which we have paid and will have to pay! Not to mention the stress of correctly filling application forms and including every last document to avoid possible refusal! oK rant over!
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 1260
Re: No control of non EU immigration
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:18 PM »
I am incensed! I just heard Michael Heseltine state that all immigration issues are focused on Europe whereas the greater number of immigrants come from non-EU countries. OK fair enough! He then said the government takes no notice of that group of immigrants with no rules and no control at the border!! I do hope I heard wrong. Maybe we should all send him our receipts for all the visas, IHS etc for which we have paid and will have to pay! Not to mention the stress of correctly filling application forms and including every last document to avoid possible refusal! oK rant over!

I feel like I have to pretend I didn't even read this right now because it's just too angering. I have no issue going through this process (even if I think some of it is unnecessary) because, ultimately, I get it. What pisses me off to no end is when people don't realise just how many hoops we have to jump through and how painstaking the process can be. THAT is what I cannot stand and take issue with. Just UGH.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »
Exactly my feelings! It is as it is but the thought that the perception is that we, or our spouses, can just come in without any restrictions makes me mad!
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 03:59:01 PM »
but the thought that the perception is that we, or our spouses, can just come in without any restrictions

IF ONLY
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »
I LOVE the "but you are married to a British man and have British children.  Surely, you just apply for a British passport."   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
I LOVE the "but you are married to a British man and have British children.  Surely, you just apply for a British passport."   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

The amount of times I've had to correct people about how I'm not automatically able to apply for citizenship is insane. I know we've all talked about this before but it never fails to baffle me lol
My, how time flies....

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »

We get that all the time too but I understand that the man in the street just does not know what we go through. But for a man in position to make that kind of erroneous statement is just ridiculous!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »
I am incensed! I just heard Michael Heseltine state that all immigration issues are focused on Europe whereas the greater number of immigrants come from non-EU countries. OK fair enough! He then said the government takes no notice of that group of immigrants with no rules and no control at the border!!

Nobody takes notice of what Michael Heseltine thinks. :)

Did he mention that the UK lists immigrants by the country they are from? That all the hundreds of thousands of non-EEA citizens who use EU rules to come to the UK as Family Members, are listed under the non-EU figures? Or that all the non-EEA citizens who use European Court of Justice Rulings to come the UK e.g. the Singh, Chen, Zambrano Rulings and all their families, are also listed under the non-EEA numbers?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:29:35 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 49
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »
I was amazed at how many people in the US just thought I could wake up one day and marry and live in the UK. Then...even well meaning people would say " oh I bet he can just come on over here" when I'd correct them then they would sometimes end up making a somewhat racist remark about refugees. I would just try to change the subject. Uggh. I did educate quite a few friends though. ( as I currently get ready to pay visa #2 after paying for a wedding lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
I was amazed at how many people in the US just thought I could wake up one day and marry and live in the UK.

Based on the amount of people I see on other forums/reddit who don't realise they can't (relatively) easily come live in the UK just because they want to, not even because they marry a citizen, leaves me feeling less than amazed at this. I can totally believe it. Well done for educating them though! I typically just don't even bother anymore lol
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
Based on the amount of people I see on other forums/reddit who don't realise they can't (relatively) easily come live in the UK just because they want to, not even because they marry a citizen, leaves me feeling less than amazed at this. I can totally believe it. Well done for educating them though! I typically just don't even bother anymore lol
I have friends who want to move from the UK to Canada, and even though Canada made their requirements for skilled workers MUCH easier they still don't qualify. They keep looking for ways around the rules. It's infuriating because so many people do things legally or take the steps necessary to do so, vs looking for a way to circumvent them. If you're too old for the 2 year experience visas, essentially all you need is a bachelors degree and a couple years job experience to score enough points for the new Canadian system, and spouse visas are quite simple.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
I have friends who want to move from the UK to Canada, and even though Canada made their requirements for skilled workers MUCH easier they still don't qualify. They keep looking for ways around the rules.

As they are Commonwealth citizens, if either of them have a grandparent who was born in the UK, they can apply for an Ancestry work visa. A partner and children under age 18, can come with them as their dependants.
https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:34:43 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »
As they are Commonwealth citizens, if either of them have a grandparent that was born on the UK, they can apply for an Ancestry work visa. A partner and children under age 18, can come with them as their dependants.
https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa

They want to move FROM the UK to Canada.  :)

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 01:41:07 PM »
They want to move FROM the UK to Canada.  :)

Oooops. ;D

I guess these restrictions are in place as these type of visas are not there to help people who would like to live in their country.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 02:34:44 PM »
Oooops. ;D

I guess these restrictions are in place as these type of visas are not there to help people who would like to live in their country.
Exactly... You can't move just because you want to. At a bare minimum you need to be able to contribute to their economy and not take the low skill jobs away from their current residents and refugees. They want people to move which is why they made it easier, but they still don't want every person under the sun. Which is understandable!

I personally wish my grandmother hadn't renounced her Canadian citizenship, it would've made my life quite different as I wanted to move there through most of my 20s. Her parents emigrated to the US from quebec when she was young and I don't fully understand why they did that. Maybe sometime I'll find the energy to do the ancestry research!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab