Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Burglary Attempt  (Read 5287 times)

• Liked: 4985
Burglary Attempt
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »
This last week has been fun.  Finding out we have a mouse problem in the kitchen...

Then Thursday night we had an attempted burglary on our home!  Two other homes (that we know of) were targeted in our neighborhood.  One home was ransacked while the homeowners were asleep.  Super scary.  Their next door neighbor's car was burgled.

Friday we discovered someone had broken into our shed, take a broom and unscrewed the broom head, used the pole to try to lever the garage door open (which is super brazen as that's the front of the house - AND we had the bedroom window open which faces the front of the house).  What's amazing is they DIDNT enter the garage through the back door which is in a PRIME spot to be burgled.  They cut the wires to our security light by the back door.

Police report was made over the phone.  They didn't seem bothered.

But then they came around Saturday evening.  They believe they know who was responsible for the other two burglaries and are now investigating ours.  They are coming back today to take photos, see if any prints are available, and to take written statements.  So I've been impressed.

Needless to say we are now locking our side gate and ensuring our deadbolt is always done for our home.  It is believed the other home was accessed through the letter box.

Shitty stuff!!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Burglary Attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
That's horrid KFdancer. I'm really sorry.  >:(

Security cameras?

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 10:59:59 AM »
That's so scary! At least the police seem to be taking it seriously. When the basement storage units of our building in Portland, OR, were burgled, the police officer just said it happens a lot and we should have better security.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »
From WGG it sounds like there's been a lot of petty theft lately :( Made me realise I need a purse with a Rfid blocking pocket in it because they are definitely scanning keys.  I'm glad you guys stayed safe through it all but that's super unnerving. I hope the police catch them!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
That's horrid KFdancer. I'm really sorry.  >:(

Security cameras?

We've been wanting to do security cameras for ages, I'm sure this will push us along a little bit.

Police think they wanted our cars.  I don't look at our cars as being nice, since we've had them for years and are used to them.  But I guess from the outside, we do have two rather nice vehicles sitting on the drive.

We've been getting quotes on getting the fence replaced.  We don't really have a proper gate on the house - which makes us super vulnerable.  And we are terrible at keeping things locked.  We are lucky.  For all we know, they tried to get in through our letterbox and weren't able to.  We just don't know.  Could you even imagine if someone broke into your house while you and your children were in bed?  That would be horrifying!!

Safe to say we'll be more cautious from here on out.  I worry they'll come back, but as the police believe they have them identified, it's probably unlikely.

Luckily I know from my time working with Orlando Police that burglaries happen EVERYWHERE and it's truly a crime of opportunity. 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
Luckily I know from my time working with Orlando Police that burglaries happen EVERYWHERE and it's truly a crime of opportunity. 

Back when I was staying at my family's house in Arkansas for a time, I was up really late one night and happened to look out the window (maybe I heard a noise)... there was a pickup stopped in the road in front of our driveway.  Then I definitely heard a noise!  Then I let them know I knew they were there and saw them.

They left in a hurry, and the next day, my brother discovered that the contents of his car had been burgled, and several other people in the neighborhood's, as well.  It appears they were just going down the road, taking what they could grab from any unlocked cars.  I always locked my car doors, so nothing of mine was taken.

But I was able to describe the truck (even though I wasn't 100% certain of the colour because the light of the streetlamp had a strong yellow hue).  They later found where it had been dumped.  Apparently, the thieves were known to the police... they steal a vehicle, then drive it around grabbing what they can from other cars and then dump the stolen one somewhere at the end of the night.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
So scary! :( We've had break-ins on the streets behind us and around the corner from us as well. SO MANY in the area lately....Was going to say what Margo said that WGG has posted about this earlier today actually!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
Crimes of opportunity like petty theft seem a tad more common here, but even in my quiet little town in the US we had people going around for scams. I just don't answer the door unless we are expecting a delivery!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:06:25 PM by margo »

• Liked: 49
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
This last week has been fun.  Finding out we have a mouse problem in the kitchen...

Then Thursday night we had an attempted burglary on our home!  Two other homes (that we know of) were targeted in our neighborhood.  One home was ransacked while the homeowners were asleep.  Super scary.  Their next door neighbor's car was burgled.

Friday we discovered someone had broken into our shed, take a broom and unscrewed the broom head, used the pole to try to lever the garage door open (which is super brazen as that's the front of the house - AND we had the bedroom window open which faces the front of the house).  What's amazing is they DIDNT enter the garage through the back door which is in a PRIME spot to be burgled.  They cut the wires to our security light by the back door.

Police report was made over the phone.  They didn't seem bothered.

But then they came around Saturday evening.  They believe they know who was responsible for the other two burglaries and are now investigating ours.  They are coming back today to take photos, see if any prints are available, and to take written statements.  So I've been impressed.

Needless to say we are now locking our side gate and ensuring our deadbolt is always done for our home.  It is believed the other home was accessed through the letter box.

Shitty stuff!!
So so scary! Glad you and your family are ok. I hope they get who is responsible!!!xx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
That's Crazy!
I've heard an urban legend that a family had their house ransacked while asleep in our town a few years back but I never believed it. It just doesn't make sense that anyone would take the risk of sneaking around while the family is asleep.  And do what?  Steal mobile phones that are locked ?  Move a 52 inch TV outside and load it into a car?  I don't doubt you so there must be something going on that I don't know.

I do know that it is very common for keys to be grabbed through the letterbox and cars stolen. 

I also know that it's common for Asian families to be robbed right before they travel back home because it's likely they will have expensive presents and gold jewellery. 

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
That's Crazy!
I've heard an urban legend that a family had their house ransacked while asleep in our town a few years back but I never believed it. It just doesn't make sense that anyone would take the risk of sneaking around while the family is asleep.  And do what?  Steal mobile phones that are locked ?  Move a 52 inch TV outside and load it into a car?  I don't doubt you so there must be something going on that I don't know.

I do know that it is very common for keys to be grabbed through the letterbox and cars stolen. 

I also know that it's common for Asian families to be robbed right before they travel back home because it's likely they will have expensive presents and gold jewellery. 

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

When I worked at Orlando Police, if someone broke into a home while there wasn't an occupant - we didn't call it a burglary.  We called it a home invasion!  It's scary stuff.

The police detective said burglaries at night are usually an attempt to steal the car keys for the cars or tools.  Burglaries during the day are usually for cash and jewelry.  And yes, she said the Asian community is often targeted for their jewelry.

We definitely have more questions for them when they come to take our written statements!

If someone had been in my home while we were asleep - I can safely say I would have been on a plane back to the USA immediately!  I know this stuff can happen anywhere but I would be GONE.  G. O. N. E.

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
In light of this...

I can recommend Blue Iris security camera software.  Spring for high definition cameras with night vision mode.  We set up our system for under £200, including the software (we already had the computer... if you don't have a computer to run the system on, you'll need to get that, too).

We haven't had a single security issue, but we often review the footage because it's fun to track the comings and goings of our neighbours.  Our neighbour leaves their house every day in the afternoon and is gone for almost exactly an hour.  Every day.  We have no idea where he goes, but when I get a car, I'm going to follow him to find out.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »
In light of this...

I can recommend Blue Iris security camera software.  Spring for high definition cameras with night vision mode.  We set up our system for under £200, including the software (we already had the computer... if you don't have a computer to run the system on, you'll need to get that, too).

We haven't had a single security issue, but we often review the footage because it's fun to track the comings and goings of our neighbours.  Our neighbour leaves their house every day in the afternoon and is gone for almost exactly an hour.  Every day.  We have no idea where he goes, but when I get a car, I'm going to follow him to find out.

Hee hee.  I bet it's a SUPER strict routine like, go to bank, withdrawal £20.  Request a £10 bill and two £5's.  Go to Waitrose, buy 1 banana, a 400g loaf of bread, and a bottle of wine.  Stop at post office to post letter.  Return home.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
Hee hee.  I bet it's a SUPER strict routine like, go to bank, withdrawal £20.  Request a £10 bill and two £5's.  Go to Waitrose, buy 1 banana, a 400g loaf of bread, and a bottle of wine.  Stop at post office to post letter.  Return home.

I think you missed a step.  There's definitely a stop at the zoo to feed the banana to a monkey, and then he shares the bread with ducks in the ornamental lake outside the zoo entrance.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »
In Miami, someone attempted to break in while we were at home. I thought it was the wind at first or something rattling/moving the door.

But I looked through the blinds, sort of to the side, and there was the guy trying to pry in the door.

When people talk about blood running cold....

Anyhow, I rang 911, and to give credit to the Miami-Dade County police, an absolute phalanx of them arrived almost immediately and pile drove him out in my front yard.

The guy was drugged up and looking to steal anything to get a few dollars quickly. 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab