Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which country to retire to for fun, culture, nightlife? Ireland,France, Spain?  (Read 13734 times)

• Liked: 1327
Thank you Nan for the heads up. A situation like the above would make buying a house in Ireland a bit concerning. The wife and I have discussed an alternative plan of renting a home to stay in full time, while buying a vacation property in a different European country. Allowing us to have a great deal of flexibility. Still early days yet.

Is it still early days?  You've been researching this for 11 years, at least.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 3
Is it still early days?  You've been researching this for 11 years, at least.

You're almost correct.

Try 11 years, one sick parent that passed away, one failed relationship, and now one very happy marriage. Life is what happens while we are making plans. The happy part is being here to hopefully have another chance.

You're almost correct.

Try 11 years, one sick parent that passed away, one failed relationship, and now one very happy marriage. Life is what happens while we are making plans. The happy part is being here to hopefully have another chance.

So what happened with the business venture?  That didn't pan out?

So what happened with the business venture?  That didn't pan out?

JFKim

You have the advantage here because I don't remember you and it's been a long time since I use to post on here. Way back when I was seeing my Ex and we were going to set up life in the UK. I'm older and wiser now :)  You have a excellent memory.

I think the business you're talking about was one of my startup business ventures but I think it was one I was going to start in the uk. When the relationship ended that business idea was no longer needed. I've started about half a dozen in the last ten years. But I actually started something similar here in the States and will continue with that as it's internet based.

Good memory on you!!

JFKim

You have the advantage here because I don't remember you and it's been a long time since I use to post on here. Way back when I was seeing my Ex and we were going to set up life in the UK. I'm older and wiser now :)  You have a excellent memory.

I think the business you're talking about was one of my startup business ventures but I think it was one I was going to start in the uk. When the relationship ended that business idea was no longer needed. I've started about half a dozen in the last ten years. But I actually started something similar here in the States and will continue with that as it's internet based.

Good memory on you!!

Thanks!  I don't actually know what the business venture was.  I just know you were talking about investing a chunk of money to buy a business to gain entry into the UK when I joined in 2012.  You were asking all the same questions then that you're asking now.

• Liked: 223
We will be required to purchase our own health insurance, but that was our expectation from the start. Health Care in America is very expensive thus paying for it in Europe shouldn't involve too much sticker shock. Just the way things are.

I haven't paid close attention to the political squabble about Catalan's fight for independence but I remember reading about it going back to the early 1990s. We will keep our eye open for any major changes to the status quo. As a side note I know that can't be a easy situation especially when one side prefers to break free from colonial rule but feels trapped.

Catalan independence is definitely something you'd want to read up on if you were considering moving there. It's not big in the new right now but it's been a heated topic there for decades. Even if you don't have an opinion on the matter, you'll want to be familiar with the reasons for and against independence so you can tip toe through a conversation (it will come up) without offending or alienating anyone in Barcelona.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

Catalan independence is definitely something you'd want to read up on if you were considering moving there. It's not big in the new right now but it's been a heated topic there for decades. Even if you don't have an opinion on the matter, you'll want to be familiar with the reasons for and against independence so you can tip toe through a conversation (it will come up) without offending or alienating anyone in Barcelona.

Have you spent any time in Spain and what are your thoughts about life over there? I agree it's important to be well informed about the politics of any foreign country before visiting there. You just never know what could happen if you go into a situation that is tension filled.

Some people might view Spain's internal issues with shock and surprise and I heard this morning that Spain's Priminister was kicked out of office today. Some people might want to say that they are akin to being a banana republic but doesn't that truly describe the United States at the moment?

We have a reality show personality running our government and it appears he was helped into office by the comminist government of Russia. Knowing that fact it's kinda difficult as an American to harshly judge other countries( speaking in general) in the world because we are indeed the newest banana republic on the block if the truth be told.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spain might feel like a step up. Certainly can't be much worse than what we have in America at the moment. I'm not necessarily a political person but what I don't like is stupid, and sadly that word currently describes my birth country.

• Liked: 223
Have you spent any time in Spain and what are your thoughts about life over there? I agree it's important to be well informed about the politics of any foreign country before visiting there. You just never know what could happen if you go into a situation that is tension filled.

I've spent time travelling in Barcelona and northern Spain, but I haven't yet visited the rest of the country.

I try to refer to Barcelona with neutral terms (avoiding calling it Spain or Catalonia) so I avoid getting into a debate on the topic. I guess it's kind of a gender-neutral type of approach.

When I was travelling in eastern Europe, I visited Greece and then Macedonia. My Greek friends referred to the country Macedonia as FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) so that's what I called it when speaking to my Macedonian friends. Luckily, I've got understanding friends and they told me that while Greeks call their country FYROM, Macedonians call it Macedonia. Greeks take issue with the name Macedonia because it's also the name of a region in the northern part of Greece which they've said is the 'true' Macedonia. It was interesting hearing both sides of the debate, but I'm careful now to try and use neutral terms that everyone can agree on.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 1892
Sorry dude, I’ve no practical experience living in any of those countries.  I vote France or Spain based on holiday experiences. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've spent time travelling in Barcelona and northern Spain, but I haven't yet visited the rest of the country.

I try to refer to Barcelona with neutral terms (avoiding calling it Spain or Catalonia) so I avoid getting into a debate on the topic. I guess it's kind of a gender-neutral type of approach.

When I was travelling in eastern Europe, I visited Greece and then Macedonia. My Greek friends referred to the country Macedonia as FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) so that's what I called it when speaking to my Macedonian friends. Luckily, I've got understanding friends and they told me that while Greeks call their country FYROM, Macedonians call it Macedonia. Greeks take issue with the name Macedonia because it's also the name of a region in the northern part of Greece which they've said is the 'true' Macedonia. It was interesting hearing both sides of the debate, but I'm careful now to try and use neutral terms that everyone can agree on.

I like your approach it's very diplomatic and respectful. There should be more of that thinking in the world. Interesting that you've visited Macedonia. I have a few friends from there who currently live in the NYC area. Come to think of it there is a large Yugoslavian representation in the NY,NJ area. The Mrs and I both look forward to all the traveling in Europe. She has done far more(international) than I, so there is a lot of catching up to do.

Was your time in Spain very favorable? If you had to pick between France and Spain which would be your choice?

Sorry dude, I’ve no practical experience living in any of those countries.  I vote France or Spain based on holiday experiences. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I find it interesting Ireland is getting the least amount of votes of the three countries we're considering. Even my friends are encouraging us to pick Toulouse France so they can come and visit.

• Liked: 6110
I find it interesting Ireland is getting the least amount of votes of the three countries we're considering. Even my friends are encouraging us to pick Toulouse France so they can come and visit.

The choice is yours though!  :)

The choice is yours though!  :)

Ain't that the truth!

Do you live in America or the UK?

• Liked: 6110
Ain't that the truth!

Do you live in America or the UK?

I'm British, living in the UK. I moved back here after living in the US where I met my husband. He's waiting for British citizenship at the moment!  :)

I'm British, living in the UK. I moved back here after living in the US where I met my husband. He's waiting for British citizenship at the moment!  :)

Nice!

Did you enjoy living in the States? How is he adjusting to life in Europe?

Sponsored Links