Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Shipping my Saddle  (Read 5287 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Shipping my Saddle
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
Oh, you guys... SiD, you may stay.  I like you.  Also, that's a lovely photo of your barn cat.  I encourage to soak up the sense of space that your picture gives... I don't know how you can do that, but try to soak it up while you can.  And eat all the noms!  Pack whatever you have room for that won't spoil or spill into your suitcase.  Favourite spice mixes, sauce powders, etc.  Even things that are sold over here and look familiar won't taste the same (tinned veg in the US all have salt in them unless you get the tins marked "no salt added", whereas here, they are all unsalted... it's a noticeable difference!  But at least that one can be fixed by adding salt.  Other differences are not so easy to fix.)  Oh.  Tinned pasta.  I won't lie, back in the states, I still loved to open a can of Spaghettios with "meat"balls and have that for lunch.  Over here, there is not a single tinned pasta that is even remotely enjoyable.  I'm not sure how they fail so badly, but they do.  So bring your favourite, if you have one.

To answer your specific question, I think about 95% of us miss Mexican food.  Having said that, many of us are making our own, and there seems to be brewing interest among the British for Mexican food, so it's easier to get ingredients, Taco Bell has about a dozen restaurants around the UK (admittedly, that's "fast food", not "Mexican food", but it's Mexican inspired, so it'll have to do... plus, it's tasty).

The British (or just my husband?) don't know what a Chicago deep dish pie is.  If that's your preferred "pizza" style, you'll need to learn to bake it.  I like all styles, so I get my pizza fix often.  But occasionally I think about a good Chicago pie and I get all drooly.  When I have an oven*, I'm going to introduce my husband to the goodness that it is.  He'll hate it, of course.  (Then again, he was really happy with pot roast when I showed him what that is... and he was practically a snob about proper rare roast beef before that.)

* We're at the planning stages of a never-beginning-so-how-can-it-possibly-end? kitchen rebuild, and we don't have a cooker.  We've been living this way for 19 months, now.  I've pretty much just come to terms with the fact that I'll be cooking on a camp stove in my utility room for the rest of my life.

Also, actual photo of me breaking down boxes for recycling:
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
I typed a massive response about food and it didn't post.  <sigh>

Basically I miss the stupidest things that I never really ate while I was there.  It's weird.

But the only thing I bring back with me is Ranch dressing.  Funny how the food you bring back becomes smaller and smaller each time.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »

Basically I miss the stupidest things that I never really ate while I was there.  It's weird.

But the only thing I bring back with me is Ranch dressing.  Funny how the food you bring back becomes smaller and smaller each time.

If I'd gone back for regular visits over the years, I probably would've been reminded of things and felt more need to get them and bring them with me.  But since I haven't been home to visit since I moved here in 2013, I've put most things behind me.

Oh.  Eggrolls.  You guys know how I feel about eggrolls.  But I learned to make those recently, so yay!

• Liked: 248
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 12:26:53 PM »
Food and cats - the perfect thread!

• Liked: 129
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »

I've already got about 20 packets of Hidden Valley in my bag! My mom sent me some in a care package last year and all my English friends absolutely LOVED it!

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
Oh, you guys... SiD, you may stay.  I like you.  Also, that's a lovely photo of your barn cat.  I encourage to soak up the sense of space that your picture gives... I don't know how you can do that, but try to soak it up while you can.  And eat all the noms!  Pack whatever you have room for that won't spoil or spill into your suitcase.  Favourite spice mixes, sauce powders, etc.  Even things that are sold over here and look familiar won't taste the same (tinned veg in the US all have salt in them unless you get the tins marked "no salt added", whereas here, they are all unsalted... it's a noticeable difference!  But at least that one can be fixed by adding salt.  Other differences are not so easy to fix.)  Oh.  Tinned pasta.  I won't lie, back in the states, I still loved to open a can of Spaghettios with "meat"balls and have that for lunch.  Over here, there is not a single tinned pasta that is even remotely enjoyable.  I'm not sure how they fail so badly, but they do.  So bring your favourite, if you have one.

To answer your specific question, I think about 95% of us miss Mexican food.  Having said that, many of us are making our own, and there seems to be brewing interest among the British for Mexican food, so it's easier to get ingredients, Taco Bell has about a dozen restaurants around the UK (admittedly, that's "fast food", not "Mexican food", but it's Mexican inspired, so it'll have to do... plus, it's tasty).

The British (or just my husband?) don't know what a Chicago deep dish pie is.  If that's your preferred "pizza" style, you'll need to learn to bake it.  I like all styles, so I get my pizza fix often.  But occasionally I think about a good Chicago pie and I get all drooly.  When I have an oven*, I'm going to introduce my husband to the goodness that it is.  He'll hate it, of course.  (Then again, he was really happy with pot roast when I showed him what that is... and he was practically a snob about proper rare roast beef before that.)

* We're at the planning stages of a never-beginning-so-how-can-it-possibly-end? kitchen rebuild, and we don't have a cooker.  We've been living this way for 19 months, now.  I've pretty much just come to terms with the fact that I'll be cooking on a camp stove in my utility room for the rest of my life.

Also, actual photo of me breaking down boxes for recycling:

YES about the Mexican food! I've actually spent a few years in the UK traveling, volunteering, etc and that's definitely something I've missed. There is a Mexican restaurant about 20 minutes from us, but it's definitely the English interpretation of Mexican food - I only go for the Mexican beer :)

I was pretty excited to see Kraft Mac n Cheese at Sainsbury's...even though it's something I don't really eat often, it's nice when I want to have a taste of "home'!

I miss proper Mountain Dew though...sigh...

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
I miss proper Mountain Dew though...sigh...

I came to the UK on February 1st, 2013.  That day, I had three 20oz. bottles of Mountain Dew that I'd bought from an airport magazine shop in the US.  Three. 20oz. Bottles.  I drank the first two within the first week or so I was over here, during the days while my then-fiance was at work.  I saved the last one until our wedding (a special occasion, right?)... I opened it while we were on our wedding trip up in the Lake District.  And I meant to let my husband try some because I kept trying to explain that it wasn't the same as what the UK has on offer.  I really did mean to share.  But... I mean... it was my last.  And it was really hot that day.  And I was thirsty.  And it was real Mountain Dew.

He still doesn't know what the difference is between US and UK versions.

I've not been home since, so no more American Mountain Dew.  My husband did order some from one of those importers on Amazon for my birthday the following year, but they came from a South African shop, and they were not stored/transported well... they were disappointing.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
That’s not actual Kraft MAC & Cheese, don’t be fooled.

If that’s something you’ll miss, bring from home. 

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
That’s not actual Kraft MAC & Cheese, don’t be fooled.

If that’s something you’ll miss, bring from home.
My Sainsbury's has an American section so we get the real thing! What I really miss are Little Debbie snacks- I'm considering bringing a suitcase full of nutty bars!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 770
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
Make your own Ranch. It's stupid easy and delicious.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »
Well if he doesn't know what he's missing, it's probably for the best.....right???!!!!!  :)
I came to the UK on February 1st, 2013.  That day, I had three 20oz. bottles of Mountain Dew that I'd bought from an airport magazine shop in the US.  Three. 20oz. Bottles.  I drank the first two within the first week or so I was over here, during the days while my then-fiance was at work.  I saved the last one until our wedding (a special occasion, right?)... I opened it while we were on our wedding trip up in the Lake District.  And I meant to let my husband try some because I kept trying to explain that it wasn't the same as what the UK has on offer.  I really did mean to share.  But... I mean... it was my last.  And it was really hot that day.  And I was thirsty.  And it was real Mountain Dew.

He still doesn't know what the difference is between US and UK versions.

I've not been home since, so no more American Mountain Dew.  My husband did order some from one of those importers on Amazon for my birthday the following year, but they came from a South African shop, and they were not stored/transported well... they were disappointing.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »

But I don’t wanna!! 

• Liked: 585
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »

What recipe do you use, Tami?  I've tried 2 different recipes that I found online, and neither of them were good.

• Liked: 958
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 11:17:23 PM »
Please share your recipe! I'm always disappointed when I try them. I mostly want the seasoning balanced right so I can use it on other things. :)

• Liked: 770
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »
What recipe do you use, Tami?  I've tried 2 different recipes that I found online, and neither of them were good.
This is the one I used.

https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/homemade-ranch-salad-dressing/

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab