Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Show of hands...  (Read 3793 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Show of hands...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 03:22:37 PM »
Well I moved here for a job, though it wasn't a job transfer.  I was on an old school work permit and got my citizenship after 7 years, since old school work permits led to ILR and citizenship.
I had been living in South Florida (not home) and moved in early January. Shock. Freezing, darkness, everything covered in ice, because of the freezing fog you get here. I didn't even own a winter coat or boots or anything.  What the hell did I just do?

Went to my first Burns Supper not long after. Lovely people, warm and friendly.

First year was hard (depression, homesickness,culture shock, health scares and hospitalisations). I made it through.

Fell in love with friendly people, scenery, sheep, greenery, quietness, the Highlands, beer, and the incredible music scene that I have been able to be part of here . Thankfully *not* just traditional music, but a thriving jazz, R&B and wind/brass band scene (I play the trombone).

I met my (now) husband about 10 months after I moved here. We married after I was here for 8 years, long since calling the Highlands home.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 04:00:02 PM »
Well I moved here for a job, though it wasn't a job transfer.  I was on an old school work permit and got my citizenship after 7 years, since old school work permits led to ILR and citizenship.
I had been living in South Florida (not home) and moved in early January. Shock. Freezing, darkness, everything covered in ice, because of the freezing fog you get here. I didn't even own a winter coat or boots or anything.  What the hell did I just do?

Went to my first Burns Supper not long after. Lovely people, warm and friendly.

First year was hard (depression, homesickness,culture shock, health scares and hospitalisations). I made it through.

Fell in love with friendly people, scenery, sheep, greenery, quietness, the Highlands, beer, and the incredible music scene that I have been able to be part of here . Thankfully *not* just traditional music, but a thriving jazz, R&B and wind/brass band scene (I play the trombone).

I met my (now) husband about 10 months after I moved here. We married after I was here for 8 years, long since calling the Highlands home.   

Now tell us the part about the chickens and the guinea pigs, PB!  :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »
Now tell us the part about the chickens and the guinea pigs, PB!  :D

Teehee. Okay.  It's part of me, really. 

I grew up in 4-H and I used to grow and show vegetables, flowers, guinea pigs and chickens as a kid. (Wish there was an equivalent of 4-H in the UK, because 4-H is amazing)  I *knew* in my adult life to be happy I had to be somewhere rural. I am not a city or suburb person at all.  I really didn't like the living in South Florida. Too many people, no space.  So after a shitty relationship ended and a job opportunity in the Scottish Highlands came up that I was qualified for, I couldn't say no.   

Had to get the house first though.  I rented here for ages and it drove me crazy. You can't do sh*t in a rented flat (did have tomatoes growing on all my windowsills, lol) My husband owned his teeny tiny home without a garden, but we didn't live together until the year before we got married (which drove me crazy, but there were a lot of factors at play)   I did get an allotment in 2011 and that started my itch back for growing veg and flowers.

My husband is in architecture.  He designed the house we live in. It's not quite a Grand Design. Rather, it was designed as part of a tiny development (2 detached houses and 2 semi's)  in the wee village where we now live and we bought one and 'tweaked it'.  We loved the design and we love the village. So quiet and it's surrounded by sheep and cows.  Since I was finally not renting, pets were easy. Since I used to show guinea pigs,that was a no brainer for me.   

Also, as it was a new build garden, we've been able to do what we want.  And since everybody in the village has chickens and I was desperate for them, we got some. 
So that's that. Someday we will have our Grand Design and have space for more chickens and other animals.   :D
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
Sounds amazing!   ;D

I live vicariously through you and jfkimberly and your rural idylls!  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
Sounds amazing!   ;D

Thank you, it's sure been a lot of fun  ;D
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
Teehee. Okay.  It's part of me, really. 

I grew up in 4-H and I used to grow and show vegetables, flowers, guinea pigs and chickens as a kid. (Wish there was an equivalent of 4-H in the UK, because 4-H is amazing)  I *knew* in my adult life to be happy I had to be somewhere rural. I am not a city or suburb person at all.  I really didn't like the living in South Florida. Too many people, no space.  So after a shitty relationship ended and a job opportunity in the Scottish Highlands came up that I was qualified for, I couldn't say no.   

Had to get the house first though.  I rented here for ages and it drove me crazy. You can't do sh*t in a rented flat (did have tomatoes growing on all my windowsills, lol) My husband owned his teeny tiny home without a garden, but we didn't live together until the year before we got married (which drove me crazy, but there were a lot of factors at play)   I did get an allotment in 2011 and that started my itch back for growing veg and flowers.

My husband is in architecture.  He designed the house we live in. It's not quite a Grand Design. Rather, it was designed as part of a tiny development (2 detached houses and 2 semi's)  in the wee village where we now live and we bought one and 'tweaked it'.  We loved the design and we love the village. So quiet and it's surrounded by sheep and cows.  Since I was finally not renting, pets were easy. Since I used to show guinea pigs,that was a no brainer for me.   

Also, as it was a new build garden, we've been able to do what we want.  And since everybody in the village has chickens and I was desperate for them, we got some. 
So that's that. Someday we will have our Grand Design and have space for more chickens and other animals.   :D

At the risk of being shunned - where is 4H? :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 424
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 05:13:33 PM »
Lmao! 🤣

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 29
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
Lmao! 🤣

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hahaha it’s EVERYWHERE! I actually raised rabbits and showed them in the county fair :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »
I've been here a year so far, moved because I got married.  Ideally I would have liked for my husband to come to the US because it made sense work wise for me, but because he cares for his dad he couldn't.  So far I have not felt homesick, well at least I don't think so.  If I had to face a serious medical issue I think I would wish I was with my family, so I guess that says I still don't feel fully at home here.  I do feel frustrated sometimes that I have to take the bus to get around or walk and studying for the test is going very slowly but no one to blame but myself.  I wish I could get out and see more of England.

Being here has been a bit of a learning curve.  I still don't feel comfortable with money, I pay the milk man and just trust he gave me the right change b/c I'm too embarrassed to try sit and figure out what coins he gave me X_X.  I have struggled every now and then understanding people at the grocery store, apparently I understand my husband b/c he has "Americanized" his accent for me for years.   Sometimes our neighbors talk and I'm like @_@ and just smile and nod.

I am so grateful  that I have been able to work, and my husband's friends let us have first dibs on the place they were renting, an affordable 3 bedroom rental that is attached home next to my husband's dad's house (semi-detached homes). Our landlord says he doesn't care what we do to the house as long as we don't burn it down.  For the most part people are nice and it has been a way more relaxed atmosphere for me, back home it was late nights at work, stressed and hectic.  If I ever have to interview for a new job though, my anxiety is going to through the roof.  I hope I can find a place within walking distance to volunteer so that I can add something to my resume and also get more comfortable with a "work" type environment...just to try and prepare. 

The only thing I have hated about the move is the first year of taxes, probably the scariest thing so far for me.  I hope I don't have to pay a bunch of UK tax, I know I have to pay VA tax b/c VA is stoopid.  I like the "free" healthcare though I'm too anxious to use it, I should probably see someone about that but my anxiety gets in the way haha.  Before moving I was starting to feel like America was getting very divisive with race issues and also the gun issues are out of control....but I still feel more at home there than here, so far.  Maybe one day it will just hit me and I will just love it here but I'm still trying to adapt (I miss AC and window screens, why are there no window screens, dumb flies!), maybe once I can drive I can see more of England and find a place that I like more and can picture living in...right now where I am, I feel it's too rural for me.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Ha, 'where is 4-H' - Wikipedia says it's headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland.  :D ;)

4-H stands for head, heart, hands and health.  Agricultural clubs based upon traditional farming , animal husbandry and sustainable living (and these days science and tech based) . I know there are young farmers clubs here, but they're not the same. I went to 4-H camp in the summer and showed my year's work and all my animals at 4-H shows in the autumn.  I competed in 4-H public speaking competitions.   I learned teamwork, leadership, cooperation, winning and losing, heartache, fun, friendship and a shitload of survival skills, long before doomsday preppers. HA!   I am who I am because of 4-H.
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
Hahaha it’s EVERYWHERE! I actually raised rabbits and showed them in the county fair :D

Kindred spirit, because rabbits and guinea pigs are usually shown in the same venues  ;D
I did show my sister's rabbits after she aged out of 4-H and they did better for me than her, hahaha. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
I know there are young farmers clubs here, but they're not the same.

The young farmers like to party!  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
The young farmers like to party!  ;D

Aye, the one in our neck of the woods are mental party animals!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »

I have never used this phrase before, but this is appropriate:  Oh, bless your heart!  "Where is 4H?"  Haha!  Awww!  Thanks, KoD.  :)

I did sewing, "cooking", leather craft (it is my belief that my dad really wanted to do this, so he got my sister and I into 4H so he could teach us this as a tax deductible hobby), and some other stuff.  Then we moved and that was the end of 4H for me (story of my life).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »
I've been here a year so far, moved because I got married.  Ideally I would have liked for my husband to come to the US because it made sense work wise for me, but because he cares for his dad he couldn't.  So far I have not felt homesick, well at least I don't think so.  If I had to face a serious medical issue I think I would wish I was with my family, so I guess that says I still don't feel fully at home here.  I do feel frustrated sometimes that I have to take the bus to get around or walk and studying for the test is going very slowly but no one to blame but myself.  I wish I could get out and see more of England.

It might feel like it's never going to happen but trust me, when it does and you're finally mobile, you will feel SO much better! I adjusted well to living here but getting around (since I was used to my freedom to drive wherever) just made me feel AWFUL. Once I got my license and a car, my morale improved completely. Even if I don't *want* to go somewhere, I like having the option to go somewhere if I chose to without having to put that burden on my husband.  You're a lot ahead than I was 1 year in! It took me over 2 years before I even started the process!

I did show my sister's rabbits after she aged out of 4-H and they did better for me than her, hahaha. 

Thanks everybody for filling me in :) haha I am definitely a city person and wouldn't have had a clue this ever existed so appreciate you teaching me something new! What is the age range for the 4-H?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links