Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving abroad in the media...  (Read 2147 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Moving abroad in the media...
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »
Really?? That's awesome! Yeah, I remember I watched it, forgot about the show, and then recently picked it up again. Season 2 rolled around and I was like "OHH The British guy is coming into the show soon!!"

*Swoon* LOL

Lol :P.

He's also been in a couple of episodes of Once Upon A Time (season 3) and a movie with Kevin Kline, Susan Sarandon and Dakota Fanning. Not sure if he's acting much these days though - he's been directing/producing an independent movie over the last few months (they raised money through crowdfunding).

Before he moved over to the US (he's a dual US/UK citizen - American mum (from Atlanta, Georgia), British dad), he was in a BBC show called The Cut for a few seasons... not sure if it's still available to watch online or not though :).

• Liked: 250
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
Lol :P.

He's also been in a couple of episodes of Once Upon A Time (season 3) and a movie with Kevin Kline, Susan Sarandon and Dakota Fanning. Not sure if he's acting much these days though - he's been directing/producing an independent movie over the last few months (they raised money through crowdfunding).

Before he moved over to the US (he's a dual US/UK citizen - American mum (from Atlanta, Georgia), British dad), he was in a BBC show called The Cut for a few seasons... not sure if it's still available to watch online or not though :).

How wonderful it would be to automatically have dual citizenship lol!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
How wonderful it would be to automatically have dual citizenship lol!

Except if you are an accidental American and you become aware that you should have been filing tax returns and FBARS for years and years!  :o

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:02:01 AM »
One show that actually *did* manage to get it sort of right is NY-LON (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421417/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_37). It's a bit of an old one that I haven't seen for ages but I remember it  being relatively on point.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
don't be ridiculous!

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 111
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:56 PM »
Back in 1996, a former colleague from Houston met a Welshman who was visiting the city for six months. They spent every day together and he returned to Wales but she was completely love-struck and decided that being apart was too hard so she decided to “surprise” him by selling all her possessions and MOVED to Wales. She was inspired by a novel she read where the heroine leaves her boring life behind and moves to England on a whim. So my friend did the same and was promptly stopped at LGW and promptly turned around with a 10-year-ban. In the end, she was the one who was “surprised”.

Recently, a younger cousin of mine met a Welshman (they get around) and fell in love with him. They did the whole long-distance thing for three years and it was becoming a very serious relationship. Her mother, my first cousin, casually sent me a message on Facebook and told me that her daughter was spending time in Wales but also wanted to ask me if her daughter only needed her passport to secure a job in Wales or if she needed to marry first and which country would be better and faster so she could work right away or should she just stay (overstay). I have never jumped so fast to respond to anyone in my life!  After I basically demanded that the Welshman should put his girlfriend back on a plane immediately to avoid overstaying, I managed to get them to learn the visa process. My two cousins both then told me that it seemed so much easier in the movies and on television. No kidding.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »
There's this weird assumption that moving countries is easy, and that anyone can do it. I have friends who think that just being married makes it an automatic visa acceptance and that the process is "easy" if you find a partner. (vs going it on your own where you have to find a work sponsor or pay for education) There's nothing easy about moving countries even once the visa hurdles have passed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »
There's this weird assumption that moving countries is easy, and that anyone can do it. I have friends who think that just being married makes it an automatic visa acceptance and that the process is "easy" if you find a partner. (vs going it on your own where you have to find a work sponsor or pay for education) There's nothing easy about moving countries even once the visa hurdles have passed.

Oh yeah, people ask questions about moving countries all the time on a few of the subreddits I go on and they are usually questions about how best to move countries/would they like the other country better/etc. etc.... my responses first and foremost is almost always "How do you intend to qualify for your visa? That is step one." They don't typically realise how hard it can be to qualify for a visa in the first place or they just think "oh yeah, I'll get a job easy peasy" without understanding it's quite hard to stand out in a pool of candidates they DON'T have to sponsor.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 250
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »

Yeah, people have asked me several times if I'll "automatically" be a UK citizen once I move.

Like, no immigration doesn't work that way
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »

Man, you guys are uptight.  It used to be possible to just move a place and start living there.  Probably still can in many dodgy corners of the globe. 

I was once living in a foreign country with a heavily expired visa and was arrested for bombing a hospital!  After they established that I didn't do the bomb, they didn't kick me out even though I was illegal AF.

Have some adventure.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »
Man, you guys are uptight.  It used to be possible to just move a place and start living there.  Probably still can in many dodgy corners of the globe. 

I was once living in a foreign country with a heavily expired visa and was arrested for bombing a hospital!  After they established that I didn't do the bomb, they didn't kick me out even though I was illegal AF.

Have some adventure.

... how true is that story?  Because if it's 100% true, WHY DID THEY THINK YOU BOMBED A HOSPITAL?! I mean, what the what?!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
... how true is that story?  Because if it's 100% true, WHY DID THEY THINK YOU BOMBED A HOSPITAL?! I mean, what the what?!

Yeah I've got additional questions....lol
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
You guys are a bunch of newbies. 

I wrote a big long post about it. It should all be in the archives.

Spoiler : I didn't bomb the hospital but somebody else did.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »
You guys are a bunch of newbies. 

I wrote a big long post about it. It should all be in the archives.

Spoiler : I didn't bomb the hospital but somebody else did.

And you wonder why Sirius thinks you are shady (snicker snicker).  ;D  Love you Jimbo!

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »
The mystery that is Jimbo just keeps growing and growing. How long ago did you write this? I need to know how far back to check lol
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab