Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can we talk about salad please?  (Read 6099 times)

• Liked: 216
Can we talk about salad please?
« on: September 11, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
And why really big, vibrant salads full of different delicious ingredients with salad dressing of your choice are not a thing in the UK?? Like, it's salad. Why are there no options? That little bit of dry lettuce with one tomato and three shreds of carrot they put on the side of the plate with my quiche is not salad! And all the darn cole slaw everywhere all the time too? What's up with that?! No, I don't want to mix it together with the "salad" on my plate. I just want some balsamic vinaigrette instead!

I know I can make a salad at home just the way I want it. And thankfully, you can find a nice selection of salad dressing at ASDA (that's where I found some ranch). But I just want to be able to go out sometimes and order a nice dinner salad. Sheesh!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 4985
Re: Can we talk about salad please?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:04:04 PM »
And why really big, vibrant salads full of different delicious ingredients with salad dressing of your choice are not a thing in the UK?? Like, it's salad. Why are there no options? That little bit of dry lettuce with one tomato and three shreds of carrot they put on the side of the plate with my quiche is not salad! And all the darn cole slaw everywhere all the time too? What's up with that?! No, I don't want to mix it together with the "salad" on my plate. I just want some balsamic vinaigrette instead!

I know I can make a salad at home just the way I want it. And thankfully, you can find a nice selection of salad dressing at ASDA (that's where I found some ranch). But I just want to be able to go out sometimes and order a nice dinner salad. Sheesh!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

You are moving to the wrong place, I'm afraid.  LOL.

My husband is always on and on that he LOVES salads.  Umm, he loves potatoes and hard boiled eggs.  Not exactly "salad".  LOL

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »

My husband is always on and on that he LOVES salads.  Umm, he loves potatoes and hard boiled eggs.  Not exactly "salad".  LOL

Ha ha ha!! I just thank my mother and grandmother for teaching me how to cook or I'd be doomed in the UK for sure! So, if you ask your husband if he'd like a salad made with vegetables would he just look at you like you're speaking a foreign language?

Well, at least I know what not to bring to a party in England! LOL!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 04:55:52 PM »

That made me laugh out loud!

I've converted my husband, who used to eat that pile of lettuce happily with no condiments at all. I even made pasta salad last week! But I will never get used to ordering a burger with salad on it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 21
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Oh dear, prepare for disappointment with salads! Lol. I've lived in the UK just over 3 years, and what Americans considering "salad" just isn't as popular in the UK. You're honestly better off making your own at home than ordering in a restaurant. The grocery stores have a decent selection of dressings too, including Newman's Own! Many folks in the UK consider "salad" to be more like pasta salad, egg salad, etc.

Also... I've found that many people just aren't into dressing on salad. We went to a party once and they had a big bowl of salad set out. I thought "great!" But then found that they didn't have any dressing or anything to go on it. And people were eating it plain. Um, why would I just eat a plain bowl of salad? Even when I was in France they served salad with some olive oil to drizzle over it. My husband isn't a salad fan, but when I've made salad before he just eats it plain. No dressing, no extra vegetables, no croutons, nothing.  ???
4/2015 Married
7/2015 Spousal visa granted
8/2015 Moved to England
10/2020 ILR granted

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:18:55 PM »
Oh dear, prepare for disappointment with salads! Lol. I've lived in the UK just over 3 years, and what Americans considering "salad" just isn't as popular in the UK. You're honestly better off making your own at home than ordering in a restaurant. The grocery stores have a decent selection of dressings too, including Newman's Own! Many folks in the UK consider "salad" to be more like pasta salad, egg salad, etc.

Also... I've found that many people just aren't into dressing on salad. We went to a party once and they had a big bowl of salad set out. I thought "great!" But then found that they didn't have any dressing or anything to go on it. And people were eating it plain. Um, why would I just eat a plain bowl of salad? Even when I was in France they served salad with some olive oil to drizzle over it. My husband isn't a salad fan, but when I've made salad before he just eats it plain. No dressing, no extra vegetables, no croutons, nothing.  ???

Yeah, they can really keep the dry pile of lettuce off of my plate. Like at least have a lemon I can squeeze over it or something! I know I'm going to have to make it at home if I want a real salad. But sometimes when we go out, I don't want heavy food so it would be nice if there were options.

I think I've found a special case in my husband. I make salads with dressing and he absolutely devours them. I think the man just loves to eat! LOL!!

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
I find it easy to order light options in restaurants.  But I do love fish!  I do tend to stay away from the salads though.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
I find it easy to order light options in restaurants.  But I do love fish!  I do tend to stay away from the salads though.

I usually just end up with something like a quiche if it's lunch time. I'm not big on sandwiches... I mean, a cheese toastie is nice sometimes but that's about it for me. Jacket potatoes bore me. I also don't really do soup... unless it's french onion and I've yet to find that in the UK. I wish I liked fish. I know, I know... how can I survive in the UK and not eat fish and chips?!? I think that's the one area I let my husband down... He always looks at me in disappointment when I order chips and chicken goujons at the chippy. LOL!!!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »
The only thing worse than no dressing on a salad are those God awful packs of salad Creme.  Bitter mayonnaise mixed with vinegar!

The other day I was in McDonald's eating one of their salad shaker thingies.  The lettuce was that bitter, hard and stringy stuff.  Not even rocket, which is at least soft.  This was like eating nettles.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
I loathe rocket.  Tastes like dirt.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »
The only thing worse than no dressing on a salad are those God awful packs of salad Creme.  Bitter mayonnaise mixed with vinegar!

The other day I was in McDonald's eating one of their salad shaker thingies.  The lettuce was that bitter, hard and stringy stuff.  Not even rocket, which is at least soft.  This was like eating nettles.

Yeah, I can't do that salad creme stuff. It's just weird to me. I won't plan on having a salad at McDonald's then either.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 06:41:20 PM »
I loathe rocket.  Tastes like dirt.

Ha ha! I like it. But I remember the first time I was in the UK and I saw "rocket" on the menu... Say what now?!?!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

My husband told me it was a type of lettuce. So when my meal came out, I was quite surprised to find arugula! LOL!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
My partner also loves salad... various lettuces and leaves and tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers, etc... but he also eats it dry, with no dressing.  Even though I keep a container of ranch dressing in the fridge most of the time.  And then when I make a salad (dressed) he raves about how my salads are so good.  Hello, ranch?!?!  ::)

Then he goes and ruins a perfectly good salad by smashing up a packet of crisps and sprinkling that all over the top of his salad!   :o

• Liked: 56
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
We order 3-4 bottles of Newman's Own Ranch off the Ocado to ensure we NEVER run out. Oh god nothing worse than coming home with a hot pizza on a Friday night to find out you are out of RANCH!

Salad cream - I think I read somewhere that is a condiment majorly out of fashion with the Millenials right now, which means it will be hip in about five years. That stuff is disgusting, I'm not sure I've eaten it in 15 years because who in their right mind would!?

At least salad is cheaply (somewhat) available here - I have gone WEEKS in Sweden practically BEGGING for green food but no, its always another meal of fish/meat + sauce + potatoes (boiled, mashed, riced, au gratined). Maybe some cucumber slices on the side.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
My partner also loves salad... various lettuces and leaves and tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers, etc... but he also eats it dry, with no dressing.  Even though I keep a container of ranch dressing in the fridge most of the time.  And then when I make a salad (dressed) he raves about how my salads are so good.  Hello, ranch?!?!  ::)

Then he goes and ruins a perfectly good salad by smashing up a packet of crisps and sprinkling that all over the top of his salad!   :o
I'm seeing that my assumption about English people and lack of dressing was fairly accurate! My husband didn't think it was an English thing to not use dressing, just a "him" thing. But then he loves is when I put dressing on and started using all of it. I can't eat salads often but when I can I go all out. And you miss out on vitamins if you don't eat a salad with something that has fat in it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab