Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can we talk about salad please?  (Read 6110 times)

• Liked: 216
Re: Can we talk about salad please?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
It's literally a salad with slices of deli ham. They have ham salad sandwiches.

When he first asked me if I wanted a ham salad sandwich I immediately thought it was some chopped ham in a mayonnaise kinda thing... like a pasta salad, tuna salad, egg salad.

Nope. It's a ham sandwich with lettuce.

Ok, see... My mind was being all complex with it too. LOL!! I have no clue what you look like but somehow I imagine your face when he handed you a plate with a two slices of packaged ham and a leaf of green gem lettuce, between two slices of buttered white bread.  [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 768
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »
Ok, see... My mind was being all complex with it too. LOL!! I have no clue what you look like but somehow I imagine your face when he handed you a plate with a two slices of packaged ham and a leaf of green gem lettuce, between two slices of buttered white bread.  [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]
I've only got 60 million pictures up here. Lolol.

What really gets me is when I introduce him to a new food and he says, "Ooh. This is weird" because I never know if it is a good weird or bad weird.

He spit something out once... now I cannae remember what it was. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
I've only got 60 million pictures up here. Lolol.

What really gets me is when I introduce him to a new food and he says, "Ooh. This is weird" because I never know if it is a good weird or bad weird.

He spit something out once... now I cannae remember what it was. 

I haven't seen your pics yet! These boards run deep. LOL!!

Too funny with the "weird" thing. My husband is so over the top with complimenting me about the food I cook I often think he's putting on an act so that I don't feel bad. LOL!

• Liked: 111
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »
Admittedly, I never really thought much of salads in the US or the UK for that matter. I have a vegetarian daughter too so you would think I’d be a bit more opinionated about it.

My MIL is 90% vegetarian so we’ve always frequented places with proper salad offerings. I remember eating at Harvester and Beefeater back in the 90’s and having a salad bar with prepared dressings. The last time we were in England, we ate huge salads at Carluccio’s, Jamie’s Italian, Greens of Manchester, Selfridges and local places. My favorite was a mackerel salad at some place near Bolton. I’m thinking you may have to branch out for better offerings. However, I thought my MIL was the only British person who eats her salad dry. She’s got this thing about the texture of oil and dairy on her tongue. She’s a bit picky that way. I had no idea other Brits were like that.

Salad cream is totally gross but I think that about ranch dressing too. One is sweet and bitter at the same time and the other’s gloppy texture is off putting. I’m not a lover of commercial mayonnaise because I don’t like all the additives but I’ll take the most additive-laden stuff out there to never have the atrocity that is Miracle Whip ever touch my mouth! Bleh!

kfdancer—My daughter and I have the problem with cilantro tasting of soap. Apparently, we are part of the 15% of the population of people who are missing a particular enzyme that makes it taste refreshing and zesty apparently. We also think arugula/rocket tastes like dirt. That’s also due to the missing enzyme. Imagine being Mexican-American and everyone puts a fu**ton of that **** on your tacos?!?! It’s hell! You might be part of that 15% club. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 03:40:09 AM »

I’m not a lover of commercial mayonnaise because I don’t like all the additives but I’ll take the most additive-laden stuff out there to never have the atrocity that is Miracle Whip ever touch my mouth! Bleh!

Imagine being Mexican-American and everyone puts a fu**ton of that **** on your tacos?!?! It’s hell!

I actually prefer vegenaise. Believe it or not, as much as I talk about meat and poultry on these food posts, I'm a budding vegetarian. I've been reducing my meat consumption substantially. So, I will opt for vegetarian or vegan things where I can and where they actually taste better or are healthier than their animal product counterpart. But I'm not a stickler about it.

And speaking of cilantro... Many years ago when I first moved to LA, a new friend invited my mom and I over her house for dinner. When we got there she had prepared a nice pasta dish (which was delish) but she also had a CILANTRO SALAD. I like cilantro in pico de gallo or even a few sprigs on a taco. But never ever ever do I want a salad where the only greenery is cilantro. We actually had to tell her we couldn't eat it. It was one of the worst things I've ever tried to eat. Blech!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
I eat a salad dry.  I like it. We have already established I am weird. 

I had friends over for dinner a few weeks ago and served a big salad, by dry. It was gobbled up by all. 

Has anyone come across 'rice salad' here?  There are a lot of really nice recipes for rice salad out there. But I'm talking about the kind someone brings to a BBQ (British style of sausages, of course).  Usually someone takes cold white rice and adds some carrots and celery or peas and mixes together. No dressing. No seasoning.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
If it doesn't have lettuce in it, it's not salad!  8)

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
My husband is so over the top with complimenting me about the food I cook I often think he's putting on an act so that I don't feel bad. LOL!

Yeah, mine used to do that.
He shattered all my illusions at a later date.  >:(

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:54 AM »
Ok survey time:

Miracle Whip: yes or no?

ABSOLUTELY NOT.   >:(  [smiley=puke.gif]

• Liked: 957
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 09:34:09 AM »
Yeah, mine used to do that.
He shattered all my illusions at a later date.  >:(
I was thinking of you when she said that. My husband always compliments my food and I always ask if he's being sincere, I don't trust it!

And yeah... Absolutely no to miracle whip. My grandma used to use it and it was the worst surprise when she'd run out of hellmans!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
I grew up with Miracle Whip, as my mother [is very strange when it comes to food] doesn't like mayonnaise.  It took me a while to adjust to supermarket mayonnaise when I got out into the world.  Sometimes, I could really go for a slice of white bread with a thin layer of Miracle Whip on it.  But, alas....

My husband and I cook together for many of our meals.  We have a pretty good division of labour, and a similar palate (though he's still not sold on the sweet+savoury thing... but he loves fried wonton strips dipped in sweet & sour sauce, so I see potential).  At the end of very nearly every meal, we compliment ourselves on how well we live and eat.  We are generally pleased with our tasty noms, and we tell ourselves so every time we eat.  ::)

Friday nights have become steak night for us, and we will have that with either (microwaved) "baked" potatoes or chips, and with a small salad with it... chopped lettuce (iceberg and/or romain), diced cherry tomatoes, and a bit of black pepper.   I make the salad in advance in a small lidded container and we shake it up... the juice from the tomatoes flavours the salad.  I guess you could call that "dry", because we don't add dressing.

Oh, but when my husband was working away, I had a lot of salads for meals: chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes, pickled guindilla peppers, crumbled cheddar, and a drizzle of Newman's Own Italian dressing.  Sometimes, I had croutons in, as well, and if I was feeling really ambitious, some sauteed chicken chunks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:29:16 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »
I like a bit of Miracle Whip from time to time.  Sometimes it hits the right spot.  But I'm mostly a mayo girl.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
I like a bit of Miracle Whip from time to time.  Sometimes it hits the right spot.  But I'm mostly a mayo girl.

I've made the switch, and I really appreciate mayo, now.  But if I could get Miracle Whip again, it might be the thing that I'm missing in my "pickle salad" (tuna salad that's so full of diced pickles that my sister mocked it until she tried it, then she named it).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
My Mom always makes her potato/pasta/coleslaw salads with a mixture of mayo and Miracle Whip. It's really nice.  I like to make mine with a combination of mayonnaise and salad cream.  Salad cream also is extremely useful to make a replica Curry 'N' Mustard sauce from Chicken Kitchen
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've never eaten Miracle Whip. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to creamy white condiments. (shut it Jimbo) I was the kid/teen/adult that ordered all foods plain, with only cheese. And would have a meltdown if warm lettuce (so gross) tomatoes or any kind of sauce showed up on my burger. Being hungry and getting screwed in the drive thru (again) and having your mom tell you to just scrape it off totally sucks and ruins a perfectly good McDonald's.

I can now eat mayo if it comes on my food but I don't buy it unless I need it for a specific recipe, like salad dressing.

And warm lettuce... NEVER! The smell makes me boak.

Sponsored Links