Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS insurance card  (Read 9727 times)

• Liked: 16
NHS insurance card
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »
Hello

I paid for NHS when I applied for a spousal visa but how do I collect the card?
I haven't been able to even think about it until now but now that my logistic part ( receiving boxes etc) is over, I am on to this

I would appreciate some instructions.

Thank you

• Liked: 6110
Re: NHS insurance card
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
Hello

I haven't been able to even think about it until now but now that my logistic part ( receiving boxes etc) is over, I am on to this

Thank you

You don't get a card for having paid the IHS. You will be in the system now if you come to use the NHS. But you will need to register with a family doctor and in doing that you will receive a NHS number but again,  that is not an insurance card.  :)

https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/GP/LocationSearch/4

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
Hello

Thank you
There isn't a card! You bring proof of address and register at the local GP. They may ask to see your BRP to ensure you're entitled to the free NHS and that's it! It is so much easier than anything to do with healthcare and insurance in the US.

I will say, if you have any complex health problems become friends with the receptionist. And bring a summary they can keep of all your conditions and meds. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 342
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
It's not an insurance either.  ;) The NHS is paid for by those paying their working taxes to the UK. You paid your Immigration Health Surcharge contribution to the NHS, which now enables you  to use the NHS bill free, the same as a British citizen or somebody with a valid ILR, and living in the UK, can. The exception is not being able to have free IVF treatment until you hold a valid ILR. Not all treatments are free on the NHS.

Register with a GP (have a look at the online sites to see how the GPs in your are are rated). If you need to go to hospital, show them your BRP so that you are not billed if that service is not "free to all" under the present rules.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits
UKVI will have put a green banner on your record on the hospital SPINE system to show you must not be billed: you have paid the IHS and still have a valid visa. The hospital staff are meant to check both your BRP and their SPINE system too, to see if you must pay: UKVI put a red banner over the name if they don't have a valid visa anymore.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:11:18 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
Once you have registered with GP you should get an NHS number in the post. If ever you go to hospital then giving them your NHS number on your first visit should be sufficient. When you receive a letter from the hospital it will contain your hospital number! Make a note of that also because it is used for everything to do with that hospital and is good to have when calling them.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 239
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
Once you have registered with GP you should get an NHS number in the post. If ever you go to hospital then giving them your NHS number on your first visit should be sufficient. When you receive a letter from the hospital it will contain your hospital number! Make a note of that also because it is used for everything to do with that hospital and is good to have when calling them.

How many digits is the nhs number? I got a letter from them and wonder if it’s the number listed above my name.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 12:22:44 PM »
How many digits is the nhs number? I got a letter from them and wonder if it’s the number listed above my name.

It’s 10 digits, arranged in groups of 3, 3 and 4 numbers.

An example NHS number given when I Google search is:
450 557 7104

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 239
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
It’s 10 digits, arranged in groups of 3, 3 and 4 numbers.

An example NHS number given when I Google search is:
450 557 7104

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! So that’s not how this number is. It’s 10 digits but it’s all written together like 1234567890 Darn! Was hoping I finally knew what it was lol
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 342
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »

You are a British citizen and therefore under the Immigration Act 2014,  you (and those with a valid ILR)  are allowed to use the NHS bill free, as long as you are residing in the UK. jcotter is on a temporary visa.

From my link above-

Why you need a BRP

You can use your BRP to confirm your:

identity
    right to study or work in the UK
    right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

When the NHS part of that Act started from 6 April 2015, the instructions to the NHS staff from the government, is for hospital staff is to check their BRP and the NHS SPINE system, in case their BRP has been curtailed and they need to be billed. Also under that Act: the NHS Trust keeps the money if they are billed, to avoid using their own budget; 50% added if there is no insurance to pay, which the hospital can keep too; the hospital can  ask for payment up front and refuse treatment if they don't pay, if it is not life saving treatment, but these still get billed: the NHS Trust can be fined if they didn't bill.

At the same time as the Immigration Act started for the NHS from 6 April 2015-
-British citizens who have a full UK state pension but live abroad, can no longer use the NHS bill free when they visit. These now need insurance to pay or they will have 50% added to the bill.
-the UK ended paying the medical bills of the British citizens retirees living in an EEA country, unless they are in receipt of a UK state pension (have contributed to the UK). These then had to buy their own health insurance. The government stating that just having British citizenship, does not mean the UK will provide them with free medical care if they havent contributed to the UK. The UK will pay for the non-Brits in receipt of a UK state pension as these have been working and contributing to the UK.

The government then ended the piggy backing of a UK state pension off a partner.

Now, only their own contributions to the UK will go towards a UK state pension, or a relavant UK benefit that gives NIC Credits e.g. Child Benefit if the claimant is not paying NICs.  Under current rules, it is at least 10 years of NICs before state retirement age, to have a (part) UK state pension.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:04:16 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
You are a British citizen and therefore under the Immigration Act 2014,  you (and those with a valid ILR)  are allowed to use the NHS bill free, as long as you are residing in the UK. jcotter is on a temporary visa.

From my link above-

Why you need a BRP

You can use your BRP to confirm your:

identity
    right to study or work in the UK
    right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

When the NHS part of that Act started from 6 April 2015, the instructions to the NHS staff from the government, is for hospital staff is to check their BRP and the NHS SPINE system, in case their BRP has been curtailed and they need to be billed. Also under that Act: the NHS Trust keeps the money if they are billed, to avoid using their own budget; 50% added if there is no insurance to pay, which the hospital can keep too; the hospital can  ask for payment up front and refuse treatment if they don't pay, if it is not life saving treatment, but these still get billed: the NHS Trust can be fined if they didn't bill.

At the same time as the Immigration Act started for the NHS from 6 April 2015-
-British citizens who have a full UK state pension but live abroad, can no longer use the NHS bill free when they visit. These now need insurance to pay or they will have 50% added to the bill.
-the UK ended paying the medical bills of the British citizens retirees living in an EEA country, unless they are in receipt of a UK state pension (have contributed to the UK). These then had to buy their own health insurance. The government stating that just having British citizenship, does not mean the UK will provide them with free medical care if they havent contributed to the UK. The UK will pay for the non-Brits in receipt of a UK state pension as these have been working and contributing to the UK.

The government then ended the piggy backing of a UK state pension off a partner.

Now, only their own contributions to the UK will go towards a UK state pension, or a relavant UK benefit that gives NIC Credits e.g. Child Benefit if the claimant is not paying NICs.  Under current rules, it is at least 10 years of NICs before state retirement age, to have a (part) UK state pension.

I didn't disagree with any of this, but once you have proved your right to NHS care the first time and received an NHS number, and proved your identity and received a hospital number on your first visit, are you saying that you have experience that you are required to produce your BRP every subsequent visit or call to the GP or hospital?

For example, today I called the hospital to inquire about the results of a biopsy I had done recently. They asked for my NHS number and then my hospital number. If I had been an immigrant are you saying that they would also have asked for details from my BRP?

Not saying that you are wrong just that I have not seen folks report that level of scrutiny by the NHS.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
I didn't disagree with any of this, but once you have proved your right to NHS care the first time and received an NHS number, and proved your identity and received a hospital number on your first visit, are you saying that you have experience that you are required to produce your BRP every subsequent visit or call to the GP or hospital?

For example, today I called the hospital to inquire about the results of a biopsy I had done recently. They asked for my NHS number and then my hospital number. If I had been an immigrant are you saying that they would also have asked for details from my BRP?

Not saying that you are wrong just that I have not seen folks report that level of scrutiny by the NHS.

I haven't been asked for my BRP since registering with my GP. I haven't needed any emergency services and all hospital visits were arranged by the GP.

I did however have to beg to be removed from the "voter registration" mailings my council does. They threatened me with a fine for not registering until I confirmed I wasn't eligible to.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 04:12:22 PM »
I did however have to beg to be removed from the "voter registration" mailings my council does. They threatened me with a fine for not registering until I confirmed I wasn't eligible to.

Wow, I didn't realize they were so persistent and that you could be fined for not registering to vote. I know that in Australia you are also fined for not voting in an election.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »
I provided my visa vignette when I came over in 2010 on my work visa.  No one ever asked to see subsequent BRP's or anything else - ever. 

Sirius told me in the past that the NHS system and Home Office system "talk" to each other and the HO updates would have passed automatically to the NHS.

Though considering the stat recently came out that the NHS has 9,000 fax machines *still in operation*, makes me think that technology isn't as slick as they want us to think it is.   :P

• Liked: 170
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
I had to show my (British) passport when we were at our 'paperwork' appointment for IVF - but we all know that IVF is NOT provided to people with limited leave to remain. My (very obviously) British husband provided his passport too.

Can't remember EVER providing anything ever (BRP, passport, etc...) before that, but doesn't mean I didn't.

Damn I love the NHS. I feel like I need to do something about that.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
I provided my visa vignette when I came over in 2010 on my work visa.  No one ever asked to see subsequent BRP's or anything else - ever. 

Sirius told me in the past that the NHS system and Home Office system "talk" to each other and the HO updates would have passed automatically to the NHS.

Though considering the stat recently came out that the NHS has 9,000 fax machines *still in operation*, makes me think that technology isn't as slick as they want us to think it is.   :P

Don't get me started on fax machines and the NHS!!!  >:(

Too late, I have to tell you about a recent experience of mine....

I am waiting to go in for heart AF Ablation surgery and I got a call to inform me that I was close to the top of the waiting list so it is time to see my GP and be put a blood thinner (I have to be on blood thinners for 4 weeks before surgery). My GP already has a letter from the surgeon detailing this so I went to see him next day and he said that the letter does not specify exactly which blood thinner he would like me to be on. I have a copy of the letter and he is correct. He told me to call the doctor to fax the details and then wait 3 business days and check back with the GP reception to see that they have received it before making another appointment with him or any other doctor there.

I called the surgeon's office that day and his secretary was very surprised, saying that it doesn't matter which drug is used. I sided with my GP and said that to be fair the wording is very ambiguous. Next day she calls me and says that she has faxed the instructions of the preferred drug and to give my GP's surgery 3 hours to process it. I gave them 4 and when I called the receptionist said they had not received it but would check the actual fax machine, which only took a few minutes on hold before she confirmed that they had not received it and gave me the fax number and asked me to pass this onto the surgeon's secretary.  I called the surgeon's office and she confirmed that she had used the right number but would fax it again. She called me back 10 minutes later and said she was now in receipt of 2 confirmations of "fax received" so they must have it. I waited an hour then called my GP and again they said they did not have it, even after checking their fax machine, so I asked if I should drive to the hospital (10 miles) and pick up the prescription in person because this was really quite important.  (I was actually planning to ask the surgeon's secretary to send me a pdf via email and I would print it and take it in). Ten minutes later the GP's surgery called me back to say that she had the fax and would I like to make an appointment for a blood test and doctor appointment.

Once I got the actual prescription I called the surgeon's office to say that I had begun taking it. I have now been on the blood thinners for 28 days and received a call yesterday to confirm surgery next week.

In summary, yes, the NHS has got a long way to go to catch up with modern IT systems.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:38:01 PM by durhamlad »

Sponsored Links