Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just me complaining  (Read 6241 times)

• Liked: 250
Just me complaining
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »
Literally a post for me to rant about something real quick...

I've gotten a lot done in my 3 weeks here and I'm happy about that. However, I've not yet gotten through to get my NI#, nor have I been able to reach the Swindon sexual health clinic to set an appointment for birth control. In a previous post I explained that my husband and I are waiting until our wedding night. (we got married in June, but the plan was always October) I've never been on or needed it before.

Rant time. Ok so I went to the Jobcentre, and they redirected me to the same number for the NI# that I've been calling for weeks, constantly on hold!!! I just want to be able to work, but it's proving difficult to even get a person on the phone!!! Then I heard that once I make the appointment it can take even longer to get the actual number. I'm just so frustrated.

I finally just walked into the sexual health clinic and apparently they don't have appointments until November. While my husband is amazing and doesn't expect anything from me, I was hoping to be on birth control by then. I didn't have time to visit a Dr in the US, therefore I still am not on BC and I'm just not comfortable with 1 type of contraceptive. I know condoms exist, I just don't trust them. Maybe I'm weird, I don't know.

6 weeks to make an appointment is unheard of in the US and I think it's just another one of those, "You live in the UK now, their stuff is different" moment/culture shock.

Anyway, rant over. I DO have a consultation today at the clinic, so it's a start. I think I was hangry/grouchy and got way more annoyed than necessary, but that seems to be happening with things that are different that I can't change. I am not homesick yet, but I am struggling with the minor differences between our cultures.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Just me complaining
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »
I would be really surprised if they don't give you some BC at the consultation.  I could be wrong, but it should be VERY easy to get your hands on.

The Job Centre.  Yeah, that's fun.  But remember, you CAN work without a National Insurance number.  You'll just be taxed at the highest rate until the NI number comes through, and then all the overpayment of tax will be refunded.  Not the end of the world.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
Literally a post for me to rant about something real quick...

I've gotten a lot done in my 3 weeks here and I'm happy about that. However, I've not yet gotten through to get my NI#, nor have I been able to reach the Swindon sexual health clinic to set an appointment for birth control. In a previous post I explained that my husband and I are waiting until our wedding night. (we got married in June, but the plan was always October) I've never been on or needed it before.

Rant time. Ok so I went to the Jobcentre, and they redirected me to the same number for the NI# that I've been calling for weeks, constantly on hold!!! I just want to be able to work, but it's proving difficult to even get a person on the phone!!! Then I heard that once I make the appointment it can take even longer to get the actual number. I'm just so frustrated.

I finally just walked into the sexual health clinic and apparently they don't have appointments until November. While my husband is amazing and doesn't expect anything from me, I was hoping to be on birth control by then. I didn't have time to visit a Dr in the US, therefore I still am not on BC and I'm just not comfortable with 1 type of contraceptive. I know condoms exist, I just don't trust them. Maybe I'm weird, I don't know.

6 weeks to make an appointment is unheard of in the US and I think it's just another one of those, "You live in the UK now, their stuff is different" moment/culture shock.

Anyway, rant over. I DO have a consultation today at the clinic, so it's a start. I think I was hangry/grouchy and got way more annoyed than necessary, but that seems to be happening with things that are different that I can't change. I am not homesick yet, but I am struggling with the minor differences between our cultures.

Rant away girl!  :)

I had to call about a NIN for a few days right when the lines opened until I got someone. Once you do the identity interview, it takes a few weeks. Usually if a potential employer knows you’ve applied (you’ll be given a letter at the identity interview) it’s not an issue.

Have you been to your GP about birth control? Hopefully you can get something sorted soon.

Hugs!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 114
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 03:04:41 PM »

You'll just be taxed at the highest rate until the NI number comes through, and then all the overpayment of tax will be refunded.  Not the end of the world.

Not necessarily true re being taxed at the highest rate, but you are right in saying that tax over/underpayments generally correct themselves through the payroll.

I won't bore you with all the details but there is a difference between emergency and default tax codes.  As long as you fill out a P46, you'll be fine.

IIRC, people who applied for visas outside of the UK don't have NI interviews - they had paper applications.  Is that still the case?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »

Not necessarily true re being taxed at the highest rate, but you are right in saying that tax over/underpayments generally correct themselves through the payroll.

I won't bore you with all the details but there is a difference between emergency and default tax codes.  As long as you fill out a P46, you'll be fine.

IIRC, people who applied for visas outside of the UK don't have NI interviews - they had paper applications.  Is that still the case?

You are correct about knowing more about the tax code people will be placed on then me!

It used to be the case that if your visa allowed work issued from outside the UK (so a spouse visa and not a fiance visa) that you didn't need an interview.  Now it seems everyone (except work visa holders) need to have the "interview".  The interview is literally just someone filling out the form for you - they just need to verify your identity with your BRP for some reason.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
When my son had his NINO interview last year they gave him a letter that he could show to prospective employers to prove he was eligible to work. He had already been looking for work and in fact started work before his NINO arrived in the post. (He was still living with us at the time).

Good luck with everything.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 114
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 03:34:30 PM »

It used to be the case that if your visa allowed work issued from outside the UK (so a spouse visa and not a fiance visa) that you didn't need an interview.  Now it seems everyone (except work visa holders) need to have the "interview".  The interview is literally just someone filling out the form for you - they just need to verify your identity with your BRP for some reason.

And here is where you know better than I do.

What a pain!! It used to be so easy.

My advice to you, Tollie, is to ring them up and have something to do while you are waiting for someone to answer.  I was on hold with Virgin for an hour on Monday and was eating dinner, receiving our grocery delivery, and dancing about in the kitchen (I feel so sorry for our neighbors).  Just keep busy and it's not so bad!

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
TT, just had a google.  Looks like all the pharmacies will do birth control pills through their online portals.  This will have a small fee and not be "free" though.  But it is an option.

Here's Superdrugs.  https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/contraceptive-pill.html

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »
May have jumped the gun. Decided to go in for a walk-in and they ended up giving me a consultation then and there. I attribute my bad attitude to being hangry.

I have an appointment to be fitted for the implant on 18 Oct!! Not too long of a wait :D I opted to just wait instead of jumping to a pill and then to the implant. I don't want to introduce so much to my body in a short time.

As for the NIN -sigh-

I'm dreading calling more and dreading even more to actually do the process for it, but I'll have to eventually. I haven't actively started job searching yet, but I have discovered a few good volunteer places, so that's a start.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 04:33:27 PM by TeamTollie »

• Liked: 239
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
Don’t dread it too much, it’s not too bad. Once you get them to answer the phone that’s the hard part. The interview is just to show you are who you say you are and then the wait for it in the mail. Yay for progress on the BC front!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:55:20 AM by KristieP2018 »
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »
Just as someone who is a bit longer in the tooth and ummm sexually experienced, I can say I only ever got pregnant when I wanted to.  Condoms do what they are designed to do.  Swimmers be damned!   ;D

<insert a comment from Jimbo directed at Tami here>

<insert cat meme response from Tami to Jimbo here>

Ooo, found a good photo myself.   ;D

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
Don’t dread it too much, it’s not too bad. Once you get them to answer the ohive that’s the hard part. The interview is just to show you are who you say you are and then the wait for it in the mail. Yay for progress on the BC front!

I  hate doing things over the phone. I would rather crawl to the job center and do it there than do it over the phone  [smiley=bigcry.gif]

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
Just as someone who is a bit longer in the tooth and ummm sexually experienced, I can say I only ever got pregnant when I wanted to.  Condoms do what they are designed to do.  Swimmers be damned!   ;D

<insert a comment from Jimbo directed at Tami here>

<insert cat meme response from Tami to Jimbo here>

Ooo, found a good photo myself.   ;D

Who takes a picture of a cat with a condom wrapper on a bed with the sheets messed up?  Do they even allow cats on submarines?

KFDANCER, I'm going to disagree with you. If I were finally allowed full marital relations with a woman I liked enough to marry, we are gonna need multiple layers of protection when the light turns green.  I'd suggest the neighbours should suit up as well.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 07:19:08 PM »
I'd suggest the neighbours should suit up as well.

Hazmat suits?
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
Who takes a picture of a cat with a condom wrapper on a bed with the sheets messed up?  Do they even allow cats on submarines?

KFDANCER, I'm going to disagree with you. If I were finally allowed full marital relations with a woman I liked enough to marry, we are gonna need multiple layers of protection when the light turns green.  I'd suggest the neighbours should suit up as well.

And here I thought it was Jimbo and not Jumbo.  Or is this a keys in the bowl situation?

;D

Sponsored Links