Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Imbalance issues  (Read 5782 times)

• Liked: 154
Imbalance issues
« on: November 07, 2018, 06:06:41 AM »
Has anybody ever experienced waking up getting out of bed and being so off balance you stumble like a drunk person?

It’s happened to me a few times but I just chalked it up to me getting up in the middle of the night and being half asleep. And it’s normally just a few seconds.

But it just happened to me again and totally freaked me out. I stumbled all the way to the bathroom, could hardly stand up from having a pee then ran into every wall possible on my way back to our room. I feel a bit nauseas too.

Normally by the time I leave our room my balance is back so it really freaked me out just now.

• Liked: 768
Re: Imbalance issues
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »
Has anybody ever experienced waking up getting out of bed and being so off balance you stumble like a drunk person?

It’s happened to me a few times but I just chalked it up to me getting up in the middle of the night and being half asleep. And it’s normally just a few seconds.

But it just happened to me again and totally freaked me out. I stumbled all the way to the bathroom, could hardly stand up from having a pee then ran into every wall possible on my way back to our room. I feel a bit nauseas too.

Normally by the time I leave our room my balance is back so it really freaked me out just now.
Yes. 

Has anything recently changed for you? Are you on a diet? When was the first time you can remember this happening?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »
Nothing I can think of other than me under quite a bit of stress.

I am aiming to eat healthier but not doing anything drastic just trying to have balanced meals.

It’s happened just a few times, over the past few months but today was definitely the worst.

It’s so hard to get into the doctors and I just don’t know if it’s worth trying.. or am I going crazy.

I have no known health issues other than a history of low vitamin b12 but I haven’t had issues with that in years.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
I know someone who has labyrinthitis:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/labyrinthitis/

It is an inner ear problem.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »

There are a lot of possibilities for that. The most common is dehydration causing low blood pressure, or low blood sugar. I have to stand slowly or sometimes black out due to BP. I would check in with your GP if it's happening a lot!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 08:36:44 AM »
Mine has two causes. Magnesium and iron defiency.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »

Yes. It has happened to me when I had an inner-ear infection, and also for an extended period once because of a condition called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Basically, you have little crystals in your inner ear that help with balance. Sometimes they can get knocked out of place and until they are out of the area that controls balance you can have some really unpleasant vertigo. There are exercises to do to try to get them out of the problem area, but otherwise you have to put up with it until the crystals reabsorb. It is not dangerous, but you can be incapacitated (and nauseous) until it's resolved.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vertigo/symptoms-causes/syc-20370055 

If it's only happening for a very short time when you get out of bed at night it's unlikely to be BPPV, I'd think. Perhaps you have a touch of an ear infection? Or low blood pressure, dehydration, or low blood sugar? They are probably the most likely culprits.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
If it keeps happening, best go get yourself checked out by a doc, even if it's a pain to do so. It could be so many different things - including those mentioned here and more, really common things & rare ones as well - inner ear, diet/nutrition or dehydration, various diseases, neurological stuff, hormonal issues... I know we all prefer to use Dr Google and what somebody on the internet thinks (I know I do!) but sometimes best to see a physician. :)

My mom suffered with cerebellar ataxia for 30+ years - one of the rare ones. Hope it gets better soon for you.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »
Per usual I can’t get into the gp as all appointments are gone within ten minutes of opening.

They told me 111 will only refer me to them and if they have no appointments it’s useless

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
It really scared me today I couldn’t snap out of it like I normally can.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
Go to the pharmacy and see if the pharmacist can book you an emergency appointment with your GP. It's one of the services they offer.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
I definitely agree with seeing the doc if this keeps happening. It could be lots of things. When it happened  to me during the night I felt my pulse and knew that it was an episode of atrial fibrillation. I had had AF for 3 years but this was the first time that I was aware of it happening during the night. By morning the episode had passed.

I would keep a log of when it happens and also take your pulse. Overnight one’s BP and heart rate can drop very low and standing can cause dizziness and even blackouts. (I once blacked out and had a nasty fall late one evening when I stood up after sitting watching TV for a couple of hours)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 170
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:44 PM »
This happens to me. I am pregnant. And recently found to be a bit anaemic...

Do they have any 'normal' appointments if they don't have any emergency appointments? Also second calling 111 - they've gotten me in to my gp despite having been told there weren't appointments that day.
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »

OK, yeah, if it's happening more or more severely you definitely should have someone check it out. It could be a minor thing, but best to be sure of that.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
Mine has two causes. Magnesium and iron defiency.

Mine has two causes.  Draft and bottled!

I'll just get my coat....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab