Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big Garden Bird Watch.  (Read 22201 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Big Garden Bird Watch.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 03:08:25 PM »
Come out to feed my chickens this morning and I notice four brown chickens running around my garden, digging stuff up.  And I notice my four brown chickens still in my coop.  I didn't have enough coffee yet, so I was extremely puzzled.   
 My chickens stared at these other chickens, confused. But then, they started squawking like mad, wondering why these chickens were out and they weren't. It was hilarious. 
 However, it's not hilarious to have my veg dug up by chickens.My neighbour's chickens have been flying out and decided to go and make their way up the road to my garden. He needs to clip their wings or extend the fencing to make a roof. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 06:15:01 PM »
Come out to feed my chickens this morning and I notice four brown chickens running around my garden, digging stuff up.  And I notice my four brown chickens still in my coop.  I didn't have enough coffee yet, so I was extremely puzzled.   
 My chickens stared at these other chickens, confused. But then, they started squawking like mad, wondering why these chickens were out and they weren't. It was hilarious. 
 However, it's not hilarious to have my veg dug up by chickens.My neighbour's chickens have been flying out and decided to go and make their way up the road to my garden. He needs to clip their wings or extend the fencing to make a roof.

Hahaha! I can just picture the befuddlement!  :D

Sorry about your vegetables though... naughty ladies!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
Oh no! I hope your neighbour is aware of the damage his chickens did. :( amusing, but destructive.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 09:24:48 PM »
Hmm. Chickens that aren't yours, digging in your garden.
Sounds like an epic opportunity for some Buffalo Wings and Southern Fried drumsticks, to me.
 ;D ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »
Oh no! I hope your neighbour is aware of the damage his chickens did. :( amusing, but destructive.

He was very apologetic!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2019, 11:40:12 AM »
I just saw this little guy in the garden. Had to look him up.. he's a Bullfinch!  :D

http://voice.gardenbird.co.uk/all-about-the-bullfinch/

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »
Very pretty Larrabee! Once we get the trees in the garden trimmed I'm going to get a bird feeder. My kitty will be very happy about it. I just had to do it somewhere it's a bit safe from the destructive neighbourhood kitties.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
I think feeding the birds has really made a difference. The garden today was just full of this year's young flitting about. I've never seen so many babies!  :D

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 10:02:36 PM »
I think feeding the birds has really made a difference. The garden today was just full of this year's young flitting about. I've never seen so many babies!  :D
Awww! We have a few families in ours, but the neighbourhood cats have also attacked some :( I still haven't gotten a feeder because of them!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
We don't have a feeder, but we live in the country, so we have soooo many birds!  I've been loving seeing all the different varieties.  But lately, we've been seeing magpies and a couple of rooks, and they have been kind of rude.  I watched a pair of magpies attack a nest and I couldn't stop them.  They're like a neighborhood gang, going around being destructive and terrorizing the smaller birds.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
We don't have a feeder, but we live in the country, so we have soooo many birds!  I've been loving seeing all the different varieties.  But lately, we've been seeing magpies and a couple of rooks, and they have been kind of rude.  I watched a pair of magpies attack a nest and I couldn't stop them.  They're like a neighborhood gang, going around being destructive and terrorizing the smaller birds.

In the last couple of years, we've had a lot of magpies around the garden, I think I've counted as many as 10 at a time before.They are very shy though and I've never seen them do anything naughty.  :)

We have also have family of crows who live in a huge Sycamore nearby and two pairs of seagulls who nest on the roof each year. The crows try to steal the eggs/chicks from the nests of the seagulls and the seagulls put up such a fight ... it's a sight to see but I wish the crows would leave the gulls alone!  I love my gulls.  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
I was really amused the first time I saw magpies (my husband and I were on holiday up in north Wales and there was one in a carpark and it looked so funny in its black and white outfit, strutting around).  I giggled at it for ages.  So I thought I liked magpies.  But then a family of some small type of bird had a nest in one of the trees out my window, and one day two magpies landed on the fence near that nest, and then kind of hopped over to where I know the nest was, and one of them poked at the spot.  Then I could see what was likely egg contents drip from the magpie's beak... then the other magpie had a go at the spot where the nest was.  Then they flew off in the direction of the rest of the garden... probably making the rounds to all the nests.  *sigh*

Buuuuut, we do have a LOT of birds!  I'm sure the ecosystem can handle that loss.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
I saw a Thrush in the garden today... hoorah!  :D

They are in decline and I had not seen a single one since I started paying attention at the beginning of the year. I'm so happy!!!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 04:01:30 PM »
So few birds (other than magpies and seagulls) here this year! It's very sad. And not nearly as many bees. And I haven't seen a single butterfly this summer.  :(

Sponsored Links