Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss pumpkin pie !  (Read 7985 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: I miss pumpkin pie !
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
Sure! It's got the right texture for me, but it is a bit sweeter and lacks the tang from the sour cream my dad spreads on the top.

This is the one I get. You can sometimes get two slices in the meal for £10 area if you'd rather try a smaller amount before getting an entire cheesecake.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299948135

Oh?  No tang?  Yeah, the overly sweet flavour of UK cheesecakes is really what puts me off.  My husband is after the texture (and that would be nice!), but I want that tangy flavour.

Edited to add:  But when I read the description, they use all the right words, don't they?  Hm...
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »
Oh?  No tang?  Yeah, the overly sweet flavour of UK cheesecakes is really what puts me off.  My husband is after the texture (and that would be nice!), but I want that tangy flavour.

Edited to add:  But when I read the description, they use all the right words, don't they?  Hm...
It has a bit of a tang, but it's not that awesome American sour cream flavour you get back in the states.

This is by far the best one I've found here. It's just a vanilla cheesecake and on the sweeter side. Doesn't stop me snarfling it though, it scratches the itch!

My dad's is an awesome NY style cheesecake that tastes of the cheese, bit of vanilla with the lovely sour cream tang slathered on top. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 02:30:19 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
It has a bit of a tang, but it's not that awesome American sour cream flavour you get back in the states.

This is by far the best one I've found here. It's just a vanilla cheesecake and on the sweeter side. Doesn't stop me snarfling it though, it scratches the itch!

My dad's is an awesome NY style cheesecake that tastes of the cheese, bit of vanilla with the lovely sour cream tang slathered on top. Haha

*sigh*  Cheesecake (real cheesecake) is one of the few desserts I like, because it's not a sweet sweet thing.  It could be a happy compromise for my husband and I, because he expects a pudding after every meal, and even though I occasionally supply them, he isn't happy eating it if I'm not having some, too.

Your dad's sounds amazing.  I wonder if my husband would like it.  He says he's had real cheesecake before, but did he?

• Liked: 537
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »
*sigh*  Cheesecake (real cheesecake) is one of the few desserts I like, because it's not a sweet sweet thing.  It could be a happy compromise for my husband and I, because he expects a pudding after every meal, and even though I occasionally supply them, he isn't happy eating it if I'm not having some, too.

Your dad's sounds amazing.  I wonder if my husband would like it.  He says he's had real cheesecake before, but did he?
I feel you there. I'm not into sickly things like Eton mess or sticky toffee pudding... But a good cheesecake... Is sooo good.

This one is sweet, but it's not overly so. I would give it a try, they probably have the two slice packs in the meal deal section of your Tesco so you don't have to have the the whole thing. Haha.

You would love my dad's. It's like $20 cheesecake from the ingredients! Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
I caved and had a small PSL this morning.
I feel thoroughly sick now (result of my surgery -- they call it 'dumping syndrome')... but it tasted so good!!!  ;D

The good news is that I don't think I'll fancy another one for a long time!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dumping-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20371915

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 09:05:27 AM »
How weird... I completely understand those symptoms and can relate, but I've never had surgery that affected my stomach or esophagus.  I wonder if my wonkiness has the same effect... it's not the surgery, but the reduced stomach size at play, I assume?

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon and the PSL was worth it.  :)

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
it's not the surgery, but the reduced stomach size at play, I assume?

I think it is the surgery... because my intestines have been re-routed, so food/drink now bypasses the part of the intestine where the valve that controls the release of sugar is located.  So without that valve, sugar just 'dumps', rather than releases gradually. That's my understanding anyway, as a simpleton!

I've drunk hunners of water this morning to try and dilute it, so I am feeling better now... but not wanting to do that again for a long time!

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:48 AM »
Oh, the surgery is at the base of the stomach?  I always thought it was at the top...  hmm, googling tells me it's the pylorus valve, which is meant to control the passing from the stomach to the small intestine.  That should be working properly for me.

I still don't know what causes my symptoms, but it isn't dumping syndrome.  But I manage myself the same way, and whatever it is isn't important... I've got it under control.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
There are a lot of causes for it. A high number of people with EDS also have that, so I hear about it a lot. Diet seems to make the biggest impact (food sensitivities and whatnot). If you don't have a gallbladder that can do it too. And surgery like Albatross experienced. My friend who had the bypass surgery no longer experiences that, so perhaps in time your body adjusts. Bodies are interesting in the number of ways they can break, but we muddle through and figure out what works for us!

No PSL for me unless I make it myself, between the sugar and flavors it's not a fun experience. So I usually add a bit of pumpkin spice to my coffee this time of year instead!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
Tried a pumpkin spice Frappuccino from Starbucks for the first time did not like it way too sweet !!
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 05:54:39 PM »
I think it is the surgery... because my intestines have been re-routed, so food/drink now bypasses the part of the intestine where the valve that controls the release of sugar is located.  So without that valve, sugar just 'dumps', rather than releases gradually. That's my understanding anyway, as a simpleton!

I've drunk hunners of water this morning to try and dilute it, so I am feeling better now... but not wanting to do that again for a long time!
What about beer?  Can you drink as much as you'd like?

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »
What about beer?  Can you drink as much as you'd like?

Yep... I was out last night on the Oakham Citra, as it happens!  ;D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 11:53:00 AM »
Yep... I was out last night on the Oakham Citra, as it happens!  ;D

Thank God for that!

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
I bought New York-something-or-other branded bagels in Asda yesterday, and they were pumpkin spice flavour.
My expectations were low, and proved to be correct... the pumpkin spice flavour was very subtle, almost un-noticeable.  However, I made up some spiced butter with splenda, ginger, cinnamon & nutmeg --- spread that on the bagel and WOW... really nice!  :D

• Liked: 672
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »
Tried a pumpkin spice Frappuccino from Starbucks for the first time did not like it way too sweet !!

Yeah, I was really disappointed in the one I got the other day. Not as I remembered them. I had had another one in the not-too-recent past and it was ok. So I think it depends on who is making them at the shop that day.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab